Yamaha gc12 or gc22

Jae Lee

Re: Yamaha gc12 or gc22

Post by Jae Lee » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:38 am

Last month, I played a Japan-made used GC42c at guitar center in Atlanta. I drove to there to try the partucular guitar which was listed in their online store at $1999. After playing about 20 mins, I came back home. I wasted the gas price. If the guitar were $1000, it would be a great guitar. But $3599 (the official retail price of GC42) is a joke.
I miss those old days when Kato and Ezaki put all their efforts for custom guitars (keep in mind that Grand Concert Custom series are different from Grand Concert series).

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:10 am

Why was it marked down so?

Yamaha GL1

Jae Lee

Post by Jae Lee » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:00 am

The guitar was sold the next day. It was in mint condition. Guitar center and Music go round usually sell used guitars at a very low price. The key is that you have to check their online stores everyday. Otherwise, crazy guitar hunters buy before you buy. It's a world of competition.

helder

Post by helder » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:13 am

Review: my gc12c was delivered. Im an advanced player, and $€700 for this guitar its realy a bargain. My José Ramirez R2 and my luthier Spanish made guitar is much more worst than this Yamaha gc12c. Big basses, bright highs and good volume. Tuning is very good. Fretboard and general construction is realy good. Gc12c is almost a real concert guitar. Negative points: high action and very hard tension on strings. Playing a "Barre" in first position without buzzes is painfull (i played superior pieces repertoir). I need an adjustment - low the action and change strings to see if playability turns better.
Last edited by helder on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Sweet, great to hear enjoy your yamaha guitar. It does have a nice tone to it and the ebony used on fretboard is one of the most refined I have seen on a factory guitar. It is like flush satin ebony w no markings or flaws on it. As opposed to Cordoba, which I have seen I wonder if it is even ebony or just painted rosewood anf has a lot of little holes and discolorings and such. Just goes to show how much attention to careful detail they put into the gc line. Also the color of the cedar I m sure is very lovely as well. I have seen some mediocre looking cedar tops, not that it means anything, but visually it is stunning. Only gripe I have about the cedar on mine it is sort of a looser / wider grained cedar. It doesn't look like they used tight grained cedar. The gc22 I had was tight grained from what I recall but it was spruce so I dont know how to compare.

Yamaha GL1

Jae Lee

Post by Jae Lee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:44 am

As a long time fan of Yamaha GC series, I'm glad to hear that the new GC series made in China are great guitars. The Chinese Yamaha factory was launched in 2010. Cordoba guitars made in China also have an excellent reputation. We are not afraid of buying China-made guitars.

helder

Post by helder » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:50 pm

Review: i made an adjustment and now its great. I went down the saddle and nut and i changed the strings (median tension). I paid €700 by this gc12c whose value (online price) is €800. I dont think i can buy a better factory classical guitar by this price. Do you know better ones?

Jae Lee

Post by Jae Lee » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:13 pm

For the price range (new guitars), you cannot buy better ones. In the past, people were crazy about "made in Spain", "made in Japan" but not any more. Yamaha GC12/22 are great guitars. Cordoba C9/C10 are also great guitars.

helder

Post by helder » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:12 am

And gc32 or gc42? Im curious. They really value the street price of €1800 and €3900? Pay more €1000 or €2000 for gc32 and gc42 over the gc12 really value the cost or its all about marketing?

Jae Lee

Post by Jae Lee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:47 am

I reviewed GC42C above. GC32/42 are made in Japan. After them, there is GC82. GC70/71 still exist, but only by a custom order.
Don't be afraid of buying China-made guitars. GC12/22 are great guitars. You don't need to pay more for GC32/42.

Thura2017

Post by Thura2017 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:16 am

Last two weeks ago, I tried GC22Cs and GC42S in Yamaha show room. To my surprise, one of the GC22Cs sounded much better than the GC42S in my ears. Perhaps the spruce top needs much time to open up? The other 22C has even and tighter grain but sounds a bit dull compare to the first one.
Yamaha C70
Yamaha CG111s
Yamaha CG112Ms
Yamaha CG151c
Yamaha CG171s
Yamaha CG180sca
Yamaha CG192s
Yamaha SLG130nw
Antonio Picado model 60
Amalio Burguet 3A
Alhambra 5PA PT
Antonio Lorca model 12
Cuenca model 40R
Esteve 4st
Takamine C128
L Luthier Sig 08

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:09 am

One thing that is often forgotten in these discussions is that each individual guitar is to a great extent unique and therefore the sound and playability between two specimens of the exact same model can be huge. This is especially the case with entry level factory guitars, but it is also true even in luthier made guitars. The ultimate cause for why two apparently identical guitars (identical in theory) can sound so different, and why once in a while a guitar occurs that is so much better than hundreds of her sisters in the same model, is pretty much mystery, though I suspect it may have to do especially with the particular piece of wood where its top came from.

there is an interview with Christopher Parkening where he dwells on this notion at some length. I fully agree with him. I am not suggesting that my guitar sounds as good as his, but I am absolutely certain it is the guitar that sounds the best among the ones I tried.

http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/an-i ... le-legacy/
I had the wonderful opportunity, through Sherry-Brener in Chicago, to pick a guitar from about 500 instruments, all made with Brazilian Rosewood backs and sides, and most with cedar tops. It’s my experience that a truly great instrument may only occur once in several hundred guitars. I was fortunate to have had that choice back then.

I’ve had many guitars presented to me on tour, and several beautiful instruments made for me, but those luthiers are competing against 500 instruments. I would have been open to playing another guitar if I found a better one. It wasn’t really loyalty to Segovia that kept me playing Ramirez guitars. I’ve never found an instrument that was as musically expressive as the one I picked out.
http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/an-i ... le-legacy/
Because of the above, I consider it is very risky to buy a guitar without trying it first, especially an expensive guitar. And I mean trying it not just once but repeatedly, over a period of weeks or months, comparing it with others, to be sure it delivers what one wants. I am extremely happy with my GC42S, but I tried it many many times before buying it, and I bought the same guitar that I was trying, the display model (it could not be picked off the rack except by employees).
I used to be very skeptical about the notion of spruce "opening up" and sounding better as time goes by, but now I am really starting to believe it.
Yamaha GC42S

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks for pointing that article out. Luthierie discussions aside, this is the quote that hit me:
In recent years there seems to have been a growing trend away from this legacy of beauty, warmth and lyricism in musical performance, toward a colder, more mechanistic style of playing. In some cases, the guitar has been reduced to a “miniature keyboard” instrument rather than the beautiful, expressive and poetic instrument that it really is.
...which illustrates very nicely some of the things discussed in other threads.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Francisco wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:09 am
Because of the above, I consider it is very risky to buy a guitar without trying it first, especially an expensive guitar. And I mean trying it not just once but repeatedly, over a period of weeks or months, comparing it with others, to be sure it delivers what one wants. I am extremely happy with my GC42S, but I tried it many many times before buying it, and I bought the same guitar that I was trying, the display model (it could not be picked off the rack except by employees).
I used to be very skeptical about the notion of spruce "opening up" and sounding better as time goes by, but now I am really starting to believe it.
Given that you are from Canada, where did you get to try a GC42 out before buying it? Most music stores don't stock them!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:39 pm
Given that you are from Canada, where did you get to try a GC42 out before buying it? Most music stores don't stock them!

Martin
Archambault in Montreal (Ste-Catherine & Berri) usually has some GCs. They had a couple of GC32, one spruce one cedar, and one (or maybe two) GC42 when I bought mine last year.
Yamaha GC42S

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”