Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

marcus.sandell
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:55 pm

Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby marcus.sandell » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Hello!

I would like some help valuing this Ramirez 1A, 1978 !

- Built by Enrique Borreguero Marcos in the Ramirez workshop (information I found from looking at the number inside the guitar). From what I have found, he was one of the top builders.

- Very good condition, no repairs. Only a few scratches/dings. Nothing big.

- Very good sounding and loud!

- Good playability (for a 664mm scale length 54mm nut). String-height is good.

- I'm the second owner.


I'm thinking of selling for a change, trying new guitars. I love this ramirez however... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
George Crocket
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8534
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:48 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby George Crocket » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi Marcus. Welcome to the forum. Could you please introduce yourself here as required by our rules.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

khayes
Posts: 1099
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby khayes » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi Marcus - I had mine appraised earlier this year for $3750. It's pretty much identical to yours, except I have small crack in the back that was cleated many years ago.
Ken

marcus.sandell
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby marcus.sandell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:03 am

Okay, thank you khayes!

Hmm, would it be "stupid" to sell if for $2900...(I have an offer). Is it way to low?

marcus.sandell
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby marcus.sandell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:05 am

George Crocket wrote:Hi Marcus. Welcome to the forum. Could you please introduce yourself here as required by our rules.


Hi! I absolutely will do that! :)

User avatar
David_Norton
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:12 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby David_Norton » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:13 am

marcus.sandell wrote:Okay, thank you khayes!

Hmm, would it be "stupid" to sell if for $2900...(I have an offer). Is it way to low?


It was $1600 brand new, I know this because I bought a 1978 1a at the time. Long necked Ramirezes are not much in favor at present, so hard to say whether that's a good price or not.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

khayes
Posts: 1099
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby khayes » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:17 am

marcus.sandell wrote:Hmm, would it be "stupid" to sell if for $2900...(I have an offer). Is it way to low?
I would not call that "stupid". If that price makes you happy, go for it - there's nothing like a firm offer. If I were to offer mine, I would be tempted to sell at that price :D What David said is true - I bought mine in 1980 for $1400.
Ken

Number 6
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:47 am

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby Number 6 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:21 am

If you love the guitar then why not keep it? Appraisal value can be much different then the sold price.
Will you take much of a loss if you accept $2900?
An offer of $2900 may sound pretty good considering the scale is 664mm. You could get a nice used
luthier built guitar with the proceeds.

astro64
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: American Southwest

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby astro64 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:39 am

A dealer would sell this for probably over $6000 given it is Brazilian rosewood. Unless you are desperate, I would not sell for less than $4000. What it cost that long ago has nothing to do with what it is worth now.

Philosopherguy
Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby Philosopherguy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:59 am

From my knowledge of looking for a 1A myself for a while, both from e - b a y and from around other sources, depending on the condition of the frets, neck, finish, playability, etc, it could be worth anywhere between around $3000-$6000. If it's in very good shape in a private sale you are generally looking around $3500-$4500 or so likely. A dealer would value it higher then a private seller and may offer it for $6000 or so because they will check it over and offer a return policy, along with the chance to try the guitar out (along with an evaluation of the sound of that particular guitar.. some guitars command a better price because they are excellent examples). If it's in pristine condition, you might go a little higher to around $5000 in a private sale, but people are going to be very wary of buying it without playing it or seeing it considering what you can get for that price elsewhere.

$2900, in my opinion, is a little low for a brazilian model of the 1A that is in very good shape (as per your evaluation). If it were my guitar, I would keep it for that offer if you have the financial resources. But, that is your choice based on how bad, and how quick, you want to sell it. If you just want to get rid of it, then take whatever you can when you can. If you are willing to wait, I would list it higher because it is likely worth more then $2900 based on what you say.

Just my opinion.

Martin

Update.. I just saw you were from Europe. I was thinking of US dollars when I was talking. I'm not sure of the conversion for Euro's right now.
*************************************************************
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

drmlyung
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby drmlyung » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:18 am

Philosopherguy wrote:From my knowledge of looking for a 1A myself for a while, both from e - b a y and from around other sources, depending on the condition of the frets, neck, finish, playability, etc, it could be worth anywhere between around $3000-$6000. If it's in very good shape in a private sale you are generally looking around $3500-$4500 or so likely. A dealer would value it higher then a private seller and may offer it for $6000 or so because they will check it over and offer a return policy, along with the chance to try the guitar out (along with an evaluation of the sound of that particular guitar.. some guitars command a better price because they are excellent examples). If it's in pristine condition, you might go a little higher to around $5000 in a private sale, but people are going to be very wary of buying it without playing it or seeing it considering what you can get for that price elsewhere.

$2900, in my opinion, is a little low for a brazilian model of the 1A that is in very good shape (as per your evaluation). If it were my guitar, I would keep it for that offer if you have the financial resources. But, that is your choice based on how bad, and how quick, you want to sell it. If you just want to get rid of it, then take whatever you can when you can. If you are willing to wait, I would list it higher because it is likely worth more then $2900 based on what you say.

Just my opinion.

Martin

Update.. I just saw you were from Europe. I was thinking of US dollars when I was talking. I'm not sure of the conversion for Euro's right now.


!!!

User avatar
Charles Mokotoff
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:27 am

I used to own that same year and model guitar (though not sure who the workman was in the Ramirez factory). It was purchased for me in Madrid and cost $1000 in 1978 (I probably got a good deal since it was purchased abroad). They are tough to sell. Some of them just sound extraordinary though (my old one was definitely NOT one of those). I've heard stories of Chris Parkening trying out dozens to find a good one. If yours sounds really good, I'd keep it, not sell for $2900. But if its just a so-so sounding guitar, then I'd part with it for that price, no question.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5445
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby petermc61 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:59 am

My sense is that the price is a little too low, even for a 664mm.

If I was selling I'd make a counteroffer at say $3400 and hope to end up settling around $3100-3200.

Peter

Neil Patrick
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:02 am

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby Neil Patrick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:38 pm

petermc61 wrote:My sense is that the price is a little too low, even for a 664mm.

If I was selling I'd make a counteroffer at say $3400 and hope to end up settling around $3100-3200.

Peter

+1 for Peter

User avatar
Debussychopin
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Postby Debussychopin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:15 am

Id buy it for 2900

Esteve 8 cedar
Alhambra 9P cedar


Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Dustin McKinney, edcat7, guitarseller345645, Joe de V, JohnB, mcconaghy, Pat Dodson, PeteD, realejo, SeanWinkler, zupfgeiger and 12 guests