Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Carlos

Re: Help valuing: Ramirez 1A 1978

Post by Carlos » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 pm

celestemcc wrote: I loved it dearly (still do) and I keep it, but my main guitar is now a 640 spruce/Indian Connor, which is much easier to play and sounds utterly lovely, if different.
Lucky you! Connor makes great guitars! Am saying as my teacher plays on one, we do the class via skype and despites passing through internet (and a good mic,the h2n) I am always impressed by how dull and sweet the sound is, really beautiful, with a lot of presence, and i am playing on a Delarue which is also a great guitar, so I can compare on the spot, and even if her sound comes through skype it´s always impressive.

I was around in Boston last winter, however no time to pay Connor a visit...too bad..I wish one day I will have the opportunity to have one in my hands...

WoodNString

Post by WoodNString » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:21 am

One of the places to do a comp is via e - b a y. You can see the sold listings for the past few months. The range is mid 2k to 4k. The determining factors are 60s vs anything later and condition. As always, people value their instruments more than the tiny cg market will bare. With that said, Ramirez 1A's sell better than most other guitars so don't listen to the nay sayers; just price realistically.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 am

You might also try to consign it at a guitar store. My friend as a 67 1a and it's a 664mm scale. It has the original fiberglass case with hygrometer and he has his priced at $6500. He has it on consignment for an elderly gentleman. There are no cracks. But, let's be realistic, these go for as low as $3500 to $5000 on Fleabay and Regurge. If he were to take 4 grand it would sell quickly, but the owner thinks that just because its a Ramirez 1a it's going to command super high prices. It is Brazilian, but it is figured on the back and that is supposedly less desirable than a beautiful straight grained back. The fingerboard is canted. And the owner at some point put a fret marker into the side of the fingerboard at the 7th fret, which is the only hokey thing about the guitar. But sound wise, my 4NE sounds better tone wise and is actually louder. So for me even at $2900, it would be too much money for me. And I can't play very easily on the long scale. Besides the back of your guitar is prettier than the one in my buddies shop. If I were you I would just keep it and know that you have what many people feel to be the "gold standard" of Spanish guitars.

Sakura

Post by Sakura » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Watch out! Here some hungry people are devaluing a guitar.
thats true . But it is also known that not all Ramirez are equals. The price would be between 3000 and 4000 $ IMO

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”