Need advice on $1000 guitar purchase in the US

MarkInLA

Re: Need advice on $1000 guitar purchase in the US

Post by MarkInLA » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:12 am

I believe it's confirmed that Barry got a C10..There's quite a lot of affection happening around this particular make and model. Makes me more happy I too play one...! Cordoba in classical and Ibanez in jazz are like on fire these days !
PS. One aspect not mentioned: Cedar being softer wood does nick up easier than spruce. I have a number of small dings now here and there. But they are battle scars which I no longer grind my teeth over.. Just look at video close ups of the top-flight players' guitars.. Someone put it nicely: "A guitar with no scratches is a guitar never played !"...So true !..... M

Horologium

Post by Horologium » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:21 am

MarkInLA wrote:Just look at video close ups of the top-flight players' guitars.. Someone put it nicely: "A guitar with no scratches is a guitar never played !"
I agree! Being a watchmaker, I get people bringing in their 2 week old Rolex asking me to polish out the first scratches. I always try to talk them out of it. What good is a watch if you don't wear it? What good will my guitar be if I don't play it?

Barry

Horologium

Post by Horologium » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:44 pm

I received the guitar today at work. Wow! This is the nicest thing I have owned...

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Now to get it home on the train in a snow storm...

Barry

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:53 pm

Great news. Have fun!

Butch Alan

Post by Butch Alan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:48 pm

Esteve 7 sr. You'll love it. It also comes in cedar. Right in your price range too.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:58 pm

He's bought a guitar, and is happy with it...

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:07 pm

BARRY, welcome to the C10 club ! As 'acmost' states above I agree that if the Savarez strings it comes with are too high tension for you, try EJ45s or any medium tension you like. I even had light gauge on at one time. Cordoba claims the C10 sounds best with the Savs it comes with. I've found it ain't necessarily so. Also found the action a bit high when new. I did file down the saddle in small increments (making sure I have another bone saddle if I mess up). If you must alter the bow of the fingerboard using the truss rod, truss me, gently make only 1/8 " (or, perhaps 2-3 degree) or less turns retuning for each change. It's a 'big feeling' guitar which may take time to bond with. I have and really enjoy it now.......M

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:40 am

MarkInLA wrote:BARRY, welcome to the C10 club ! As 'acmost' states above I agree that if the Savarez strings it comes with are too high tension for you, try EJ45s or any medium tension you like. I even had light gauge on at one time. Cordoba claims the C10 sounds best with the Savs it comes with. I've found it ain't necessarily so. Also found the action a bit high when new. I did file down the saddle in small increments (making sure I have another bone saddle if I mess up). If you must alter the bow of the fingerboard using the truss rod, truss me, gently make only 1/8 " (or, perhaps 2-3 degree) or less turns retuning for each change. It's a 'big feeling' guitar which may take time to bond with. I have and really enjoy it now.......M
I would recommend you Savarez 500 CJ first if you feel the string tension too high then 500 CR or Augustine Imperial Red. You just try, you will find better solution.

I also would like to recommend you to use "Tonerite" to "open sound" quickly. It is also helpful for Córdoba C9/10 in playability.
Last edited by nmshu1 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:25 pm

I have always been a huge fan of Savarez Corum basses. I think nothing sounds better on the C10. But I am not that fond of the trebles so I pair them with La Bella 2001 HT trebles or Augustine Imperial trebles. SBM allows you to buy bass and treble sets separately. HT La Bella 2001 set or Augustine Imperial blue set isn't bad either.

I've always felt that Cordoba guitars responded best with HT strings and have not found the strings mentioned above to be overly stiff. Somehow Cordoba's feel on the softer side even with HT strings, while some other guitars feel stiff even with just normal tension strings. The top thickness, bracing, etc. plays a role in how strings feel, along with action and neck relief. If you are finding the strings I mentioned too stiff, it's either because you're new and haven't developed the technique and callouses, or some adjustments can be made to the action and neck relief, or you just really prefer a much lighter tension. Even with HT strings on, the Cordoba's I've tried have all been very playable compared to many other guitars.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Horologium

Post by Horologium » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks again everyone for the advice! So far, in the limited amount of time I've had to play, I've found it to be very easy on the fingers with the included strings. I'll know better once I have some real time this weekend.

I think I'm going to leave these strings on for a while to give myself a baseline for comparison. Remember, the last guitar I played was a stratocaster 18 years ago. Then I'll buy and try many types and find what I like.

As far as the sound, it truly is a wonderful sound. It's hard to imagine anything better sounding in this price range. I think this will last for quite a while before I feel like upgrading.

Now to Crack open Noads book and learn to play!

Barry

Billj

Post by Billj » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:33 am

I've been reading the forums essentially looking for the same answer, what to buy as a beginner. I had been considering a CG192 or GC12 from Yamaha or the C10 Cordoba. One concern I have that wasn't discussed is which might be best for large hands? Any other models to consider?

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Gregory Gleason wrote:Always look for used instruments. I've seen some great deals on craigslist.
I agree. To me the best bargain in the world is a used guitar. You do have to know what you are doing though. Craigslist is one good place, and I just came across a nice site for buying or selling a guitar, called Reverb. Lots of listings in every price range to buy, and if you are trying to sell a guitar the listing is free, with a reasonable commission.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Bill B wrote:he could buy a used ramirez r2 from me! or if he wants something new, Ive seen Manuel Rodriguez guitars i that price range (actually sometimes significantly less) that sound great.
If you could get that R2 for less than a thousand dollars that would be great. Also, there is a used 2NEon Fleabay as we speak for 900 bucks. That might be good too. Don't think that your buying too much guitar. Those are within your budget and will serve you a long time, and have good resale when you go to trade up to a more expensive guitar later.

If resale doesn't bother you there is also the Córdoba C 10. They retail for about 999 new and are all solid woods. If you go that route try to find a used one. I've never understood the aversion to used guitars that some people have. Used is the best way to get the most bang for the buck.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:50 am

Oh I was late, you already got a C10. Nice guitar. I had one and it was really good. You might try D'Addario EJ45 on it, it adds a little extra punch to a cedar top, oh and Augustine Classic red takes some of the shrillness out of spruce. Also, Ramirez makes normal and hard tension sets that have a carbon third if your G string sounds a little tubby. Not sure you want to spent 20 bucks on one set of strings though.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”