Guitar stuck in customs... A happy ending

rinneby

Guitar stuck in customs... A happy ending

Post by rinneby » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Dear Friends.

Bought a guitar from a Japanese store, great contact with the seller. Guitar ships to Sweden, now stuck in Singapore customs for 1,5 weeks and the seller tells me the reason probably is "procedures of import duty". I have already paid for the guitar.

Anyone with a similar story?

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1970 - Sakazo Nakade 600E
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Jack Douglas

Re: Guitar stuck in customs...

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:53 pm

I had a used guitar that got stuck in customs for 2-3 days, but not 1-5 weeks!
Hauser III 2014!

drmlyung

Post by drmlyung » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:51 pm

rinneby wrote:Dear Friends.

Bought a guitar from a Japanese store, great contact with the seller. Guitar ships to Sweden, now stuck in Singapore customs for 1,5 weeks and the seller tells me the reason probably is "procedures of import duty". I have already paid for the guitar.

Anyone with a similar story?

/Jon
Something does not crick here: Japanese store(in Japan?) ==> Sweden. How did Singapore Custom get involved in this? :?:

Jae Lee

Post by Jae Lee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:18 am

Jon, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know what's going on there. Possibly you ll get a letter from the post office, asking you to pay the custom. This doesn't seem reasonable because the guitar is in Singapore, but can happen. A few years ago, my friend told me she bought a expensive bag from Japan, and it was stuck in customs (I don't know where). I remember she paid extra.
Probably, the customs opened the box to check if the declared value is correct. Something wrong happened in this process and the guitar is stuck there.
Go to the post office immediately and talk to them about this case. They will give you a solution.
Good luck.
Last edited by Jae Lee on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:23 am

I agree with the observation that if the guitar is only in transit in Singapore then it should have nothing to do with customs officials there. It should only be a matter for Swedish customs.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:25 am

I just got another replay from the seller

"I have understood the reason. Somehow it appears carrier made a mistake with delivery. I just made shipment request again to EMS. It should arrive in a few days, so please wait patiently for now until its arrival. The tracking number has not changed from the address reported before. This time, I hope that it will reach you reliably. I apologise for taking up time when you were looking forward to the goods."

Fingers crossed.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:16 am

I just waited 14 days for the delivery of a microphone within Germany (DHL). It went 4 times to a post distribution center and to some unknown destination just to be sent back to the same distribution center. Only after intervention of the sender it found its way to a distribution center close to my address and was delivered on the 14th day! This is in one of the most technologically advanced countries of this world... Somehow the post service was more reliable before the age of computers :shock:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Frousse

Post by Frousse » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:52 pm

petermc61 wrote:I agree with the observation that if the guitar is only in transit in Singapore then it should have nothing to do with customs officials there. It should only be a matter for Swedish customs.

Very true. I am interested to find out how your case is resolved. I will admit that is one of my main concerns about purchasing a guitar from overseas, especially from an individual who may be unaware of U.S. Customs laws and regulations.

I hope the case is resolved to your satisfaction. Please let us know the outcome. We can all learn from this.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Frousse wrote:I will admit that is one of my main concerns about purchasing a guitar from overseas, especially from an individual who may be unaware of U.S. Customs laws and regulations.

I hope the case is resolved to your satisfaction. Please let us know the outcome. We can all learn from this.
I just want to clarify that this is not a private seller, but a large music store in Japan. Anyway, after another mail, the guitar should now be on its way again... Can't see any shipping update yet though.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:45 pm

I'll state the obvious: now is the time to be optimistic and trust everything will be OK.
Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon. - A Fryer

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:18 pm

As long as you confirmed that it is a reputable store, you shouldn't have much issue. When I first read your story, it sounded like a scam to me. Did they provide you with a tracking number so that you could monitor it yourself?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:23 am

souldier wrote:As long as you confirmed that it is a reputable store, you shouldn't have much issue. When I first read your story, it sounded like a scam to me. Did they provide you with a tracking number so that you could monitor it yourself?
Yes they did, I have the tracking number. Should I name the store? Just in case? It looks legit.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:17 pm

rinneby wrote:
souldier wrote:As long as you confirmed that it is a reputable store, you shouldn't have much issue. When I first read your story, it sounded like a scam to me. Did they provide you with a tracking number so that you could monitor it yourself?
Yes they did, I have the tracking number. Should I name the store? Just in case? It looks legit.

/Jon
If you'd like to publish a review...I would wait until the performance is finished.

Also keep in mind that there are strict export limitations on instruments made with certain woods, e.g., Brazilian rosewood. Thus the export assessment may be seeking confirmation that the guitar can be exported. The Yamaha GC-70, GC-70C & GC-71 are still made with Brazilian rosewood and may not be exported from Japan. The Yamaha GC-82S/C are made with Madagascar rosewood and may be exported.
Last edited by Beowulf on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:19 pm

Beowulf wrote:
rinneby wrote:

/Jon
If you'd like to publish a review...I would wait until the performance is finished.
True that.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Update: My dear Kono 1965 is now finally in Sweden, after almost a month in Singapore/Japan... I will must likely get it before Friday! Hopefully in one piece...

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”