Please advice on guitar shipping.

keithwwk

Please advice on guitar shipping.

Post by keithwwk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:39 am

Hi Guys,

Need advice on shipping a guitar.

Do you think a guitar ship by air from winter (Barcelona) to Singapore will damage the guitar due to huge different in weather?

Do you guy think should wait till Spring of Barcelona is much safer?
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

jferris

Re: Please advice on guitar shipping.

Post by jferris » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:54 am

You can add a two way humidification system for safe measure. There are methods to packing the guitar to accommodate for all the potential mishaps. You can see a general overview here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzGJgLpKGsQ
"The Guitar is the instrument most complete and richest in its harmonic and polyphonic possibilities."
- Manuel de Falla

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:59 am

No, I have shipped guitars all over the world in all seasons without problem. Just avoid doing silly things like leaving it outside.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:46 am

Barcelona winter may be "winter" compared to Singapore but it has nothing to do with winter in the sense experienced in northern Europe, China or the USA. Over the last week or so, Spain has been having heavy rain, wind and flooding. Enough that some ferry crossings between Barcelona and the Balearic islands were cancelled.

Barcelona weather:
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/spain/barcelona
For the next 48 hours humidity in the 60%-80% range. Temperature for the next 14 days 10C-18C with just a few nights dropping a bit below that.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:34 am

Thanks guys for your input. I still awaiting stock confirmation.... What a long wait.. :chaud:
Yamaha G225

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:40 am

Shipping year round generally shouldn't be an issue. Tips if weather might be an issue:

-Loosen strings sufficiently. If it is in extreme weather conditions, I might even loosen them almost completely. If it gets hot for example, glue joints get loosened up and the bridge could rip right off or bend if there is too much tension on the strings.
-If you are going to humidify, make sure there is no chance of leaking or condensation taking place. Ruptured humidipaks would be a disaster in transit.
-Sending the guitar in a decent case helps. It could slow down the rate of temperature change. Hard polyfoam cases usually are the best for this.
-Send using the fastest method possible
-Let the guitar acclimatize in the case/box once it reaches its destination if the temperature on the delivery truck is very different from the temp inside the house.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:00 am

It should't be any problem at all. Just send the guitar in a hardcase + cardboard box, and make sure its not slipping around inside the box, or inside the actual case. Send it before January 2th if you dont have proper papers for the guitar/woods used.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1987 - Curt Claus Voigt
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:14 am

rinneby wrote:It should't be any problem at all. Just send the guitar in a hardcase + cardboard box, and make sure its not slipping around inside the box, or inside the actual case. Send it before January 2th if you dont have proper papers for the guitar/woods used.

/Jon
Hey Jon,
Why before 2nd Jan? The weather is going worse there after that?
Yamaha G225

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:52 am

keithwwk wrote:
rinneby wrote:It should't be any problem at all. Just send the guitar in a hardcase + cardboard box, and make sure its not slipping around inside the box, or inside the actual case. Send it before January 2th if you dont have proper papers for the guitar/woods used.

/Jon
Hey Jon,
Why before 2nd Jan? The weather is going worse there after that?
CITES: http://www.madinter.com/media/import/CI ... tional.pdf - The short version is that you (or the seller) need permit (a certificate) for import/export of any guitar containing Roosewood and other wood that faces danger of extinction, from January 2th. If not, your guitar might be confiscated.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1987 - Curt Claus Voigt

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:42 pm

Hey Jon,
This really a bad news.. I don't think I got any luck to get the guitar shipped before 2nd Jan 2017. Been waiting for stock from Sept and the latest update from shop was 'the next time the guitar maker come will bring the guitar.' but no date is mentioned. Hopefully I am not going to wait till no date.
Yamaha G225

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:59 am

keithwwk wrote:Hey Jon,
This really a bad news.. I don't think I got any luck to get the guitar shipped before 2nd Jan 2017. Been waiting for stock from Sept and the latest update from shop was 'the next time the guitar maker come will bring the guitar.' but no date is mentioned. Hopefully I am not going to wait till no date.
Keep in mind that we don't know what the "real world effect" of this is. Maybe it won't affect small timers at all, too much paper work and so on. Only time will tell...

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1987 - Curt Claus Voigt

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm glad I read the above and then I read the thread on Indian rosewood and CITES. Bad news, what a palaver.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”