How to evaluate the quality of a guitar?

Beowulf

Re: How to evaluate the quality of a guitar?

Post by Beowulf » Tue May 23, 2017 2:24 am

SteveL123 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:10 pm
"When a guitar has
loudness, good timbre and balance, it is hard to remind yourself to really listen to
chords to see if you can hear individual tones (like a good barbershop quartet) or only a
glob of sound."

What's a "barbershop quartet"?
Check Youtube for numerous examples. This refers to a quartet (males) singing in the barbershop genre...a cappella (unaccompanied). All four voices can be heard individually and in a good quartet, at the same time are perfectly blended in wonderful harmony. 4 female voices: Sweet Adelines.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Laudiesdad69

Re: How to evaluate the quality of a guitar?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 am

Árthus Vinícius wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:51 pm
Merry Christmas everyone!

I want to buy a guitar to start a focused study and training of the classical guitar here in this forum. My current guitar is classic, but of poor quality, it has already broken(not by me, I am not the first owner) and been patched several times, and now I want to buy a new and better one! It's Christmas, my parents will present me with a new guitar, and I will start to looking for it in my town this week and to do so, I need you help, because i don't know guitar very well yet, and I wish you guys can tell me what should I do to know if the guitar that I am buying is the best that I can buy(My purchasing power is very limited, I have accumulated money for 2 years just to buy a new guitar, now I have 1500 reais = 450 dollar), I know that I can't buy a real good guitar with it, but I want to learn how to evaluate a guitar, to buy the best in the store that I can buy.

Thank you for the attention! Greetings from Brazil
(Sorry for any possible English error).
To the OP, you originally posted in December, and it is now May. Please tell us what guitar you chose if you did indeed get one. I've read this thread a couple of times, and was wondering if you found one.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”