Crossover classical cutaway guitars.

Lovemyguitar

Re: Crossover classical cutaway guitars.

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi Frank,

I'd first look for something used -- more bang for your euro at that range! It also depends on if you're willing to buy online or want to try a guitar first. Obviously the latter will limit you to what is nearby, whereas the former will give you many options, such as two instruments currently for sale here. Other forum members are usually good bets -- I've bought a couple of great guitars from other forum members, and would not hesitate to recommend people taking advantage of that possibility. Generally, they like and know guitars very well, and you can ask many question and have a good chat before making a decision.

bear

Post by bear » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:14 pm

frankoregan wrote:Thanks so much Blondie/Bear/Lovemyguitar for your feedback and answers - really really helpful.
I half suspected what your response was going to be. Ah well better to know now rather than struggle with an instrument just because I have it.
The Yamaha is immaculate, so I expect that I'll get a good price for it.

If you were to in my position what instrument would you go for? I'm limiting myself at about €500/€600 (on the expected proceeds of the above sale).

Regarding my other half, she's pretty good to be fair. I bought a pretty expensive bike there last year after much deliberation. (That's my technique, deliberate and hum and haw until she says...."will you just buy the bloody thing!")
A 52 mm nut with a 650 mm scale is standard. I like Rodriquez. I purchased both of mine used and I would recommend that "used" is more bang for the buck. I paid about $100.00 or so for my C3F.
Cordoba and Yamaha have fans. My wife plays a Cordoba and she likes it. If, you're just starting with cg, get something inexpensive until you're sure you're hooked.
Oh, my wife bought my Ramirez and my 10 string for me.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

FrankORegan

Post by FrankORegan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks guys - your time and responses greatly appreciated.
Frank

Cordoba C7

FrankORegan

Post by FrankORegan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Scored myself a Cordoba C7. I'm genuinely surprised at the quality of the instrument. Great sound and very handy craftsmanship.
I'm registering for D01 lessons. Thanks again.
Frank

Cordoba C7

bear

Post by bear » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:43 pm

congrats, good choice.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 pm

frankoregan wrote:Scored myself a Cordoba C7. I'm genuinely surprised at the quality of the instrument. Great sound and very handy craftsmanship. I'm registering for D01 lessons. Thanks again.
Excellent, thanks for letting us know! Enjoy the guitar and the lessons -- you are entering a wonderful musical world! Cheers!

riemsesy

Post by riemsesy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:10 pm

frankoregan wrote:Scored myself a Cordoba C7. I'm genuinely surprised at the quality of the instrument. Great sound and very handy craftsmanship.
I'm registering for D01 lessons. Thanks again.
some evenings with a bottle of wine, the new songs you've learned on guitar and some candlelight and your wife will even let you buy a second guitar ;) and then some
Best regards,
Richard Frank

dilettante1000

Post by dilettante1000 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:07 am

I too have a MR C3F, have owned and used it for nearly 20 years. These days I have Aquila strings on it and it sound great!. The tone is very good and it is easy enough to play. It lacks the resonance of more expensive guitars, but has a good 'attack', which is what you would expect of a flamenco-type CG.

It's nothing especially special, but has worked as a student and then a plinking guitar for a long time - make what you will of that. These days, it sits on a stand in the bedroom, in case the muse takes me at some strange time of the night or morning.

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't think any of the specifications are much of a hinderance to learning, except for the string spacing at the bridge, that really is too narrow for playing with fingers. I'd say an absolute minimum of 55mm-57mm.
Camps Primera Negra A, Cordoba Mini M, NeckUp,
Music I play/am learning currently: Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Joseph Spence, Ali Farka Touré, Bob Dylan, Santaolalla
https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

quavers

Post by quavers » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:58 pm

I am not as much of a purist as some. I own a "classical guitar", that is not a cutaway, but does employ a truss rod and has a radius shaped fingerboard. I like the smaller profile of the neck and the stability that the truss rod lends to the instrument. While the radius shaped fingerboard was a little less comfortable at first, I find the instrument provides a little stress relief for a fatigued left hand.

I have an even more radical "nylon stringed" guitar which really cannot be called a classical guitar bur I really do enjoy some amplification, reverb and equalization features that are available in this guitar, including the dreaded cut away. The cutaway is a double edged sword. Since i have been using the guitar body as sort of a brake for a long time, it's really easy to overshoot the 9th to 12th frets.

There is just so much out there. Why would you go to Baskin-Robbins and limit yourself to vanilla?

Also, I would not be without my classical; it's the guitar I learned on and it is still the go to for learning pieces and daily practice. But these other toys are still a lot of fun.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:06 am

[quote="OldPotter]

Something I have noticed with cutaway guitars is that the nut width is sometime much narrower to suit a steel string player, just have to take note.

I haven't seen a Camps guitar but there are a couple of members who have tried the classical models and liked them.[/quote]

I had a Córdoba C9 Crossover, it had a radiused board, but what I couldn't stand was the 48mm nut. I have an electric guitar that has a nut about the same size, but the neck is thicker so I don't notice it, but on the cross over the neck was so small, I hated it. Bye bye it went!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:20 am

FrankORegan wrote:Hi there

I've just joined the site and have a question regarding the disadvantages of using a crossover to learn classical guitar.
The reason I ask is that I picked up a Yamaha NTX1200R a few years ago for a ridiculously good price and intend to use this in my studies.
I'm aware that it may not be the best idea....but telling my other half that I need to buy another guitar may also not be the best idea.
Any thoughts (or a direction to posting this query elsewhere) would be greatly welcomed.

Frank
I once had an "other half" that would nag about me spending money on guitar stuff. I traded her in on a new "other half". Life has been much happier that way Ha Ha!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:25 am

bear wrote:I'd put the hybrids in the same category as this;
bad idea.png
Oh my God Bear, I must be old. I've actually been in one of those. My dad had one. As long as the bilge worked, you were good. Drove down the boat ramp in it and went to the other side. Aqua car was sure funny looking though.

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:41 am

I have a camps crossover. It's all I play at the moment, but then I am not a classical player, I play John Fahey, blues, folk, Bert Jansch stuff.

a 48mm nut is fine for me, the bridge spacing is much more important. Mine is 55mm but I'm starting to think about looking for a wider spacing, maybe 57mm-58mm.

The Camps is a very nice sounding guitar, its turned me off steel strings completely.
Camps Primera Negra A, Cordoba Mini M, NeckUp,
Music I play/am learning currently: Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Joseph Spence, Ali Farka Touré, Bob Dylan, Santaolalla
https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:16 am

I've read that barres are easier on a radiused fingerboard and most steel string acoustics I've seen are radiused. So why do most classical guitars come with flat fingerboards instead of radiused ones? Is it merely because of tradition and, unless specifically specced but a customer, luthiers won't build radiused ones for fear of limiting sales? Is it less suitable for/more difficult to do non-barre LH finger placements? Are there just more classical guitarists who have no experience with/are indifferent to radiused fingerboards, so that brands don't take a risk to make them for the normal (non-cutaway) CGs?

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”