How about Separate Bridge Pieces , one for each string?

amezcua

How about Separate Bridge Pieces , one for each string?

Postby amezcua » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Another interesting mention for Camps guitars , made in Spain . They make the bridge(s) from six separate pieces with a distinct gap between them. How do luthiers rate that as an aid to resonance ? It certainly shows a thorough and creative streak in their making. Have other luthiers tested this to see how it compares with a single bridge? If so why , and if not , why not ?

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Re: How about Separate Bridge Pieces , one for each string?

Postby tom0311 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm pretty sure it's been done before by other builders. I do like camps guitars though :)
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

OldPotter

Re: How about Separate Bridge Pieces , one for each string?

Postby OldPotter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:57 pm

As I understand it they only do this on some of their amplified versions and not on the top of the range unamplified classicals and flamencos.
They say that the individual saddles produce "the most faithful sound". But the LR Baggs System looks as if it uses a single piezo under saddle pickup. I don't understand how the combination is going to be actually better. I may be wrong, just not sure on this. On a normal guitar all the strings transmit through one transducer to the soundboard, the saddle and bridge.

Individual saddles have been tried before to overcome problems of intonation. There seems to be broad list of reasons why they haven't become widely accepted.
One setting might only suit one brand of strings.
Its time consuming and costly to do.
The normal system works fairly well anyway and most players seem to manage.
Some compensation can be made by altering the position of the "crown" on a thicker saddle.
A properly compensated guitar needs work on the saddle and the nut.

Some makers will compensate the saddle and some will alter both the saddle and the nut, those who have tried the guitars think highly of the result.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”