Help Please: Valuation of a John Ainsworth 1979 guitar

Lovemyguitar

Re: Help Please: Valuation of a John Ainsworth 1979 guitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:49 pm

Wow, if this guitar sounds as amazing as you say, with those strings, then it must be really special with decent strings! The bearclaw spruce top is very lovely, too.

I wouldn't sell it, if you like playing it. You'll get a fraction of what it is worth (really -- an older instrument with cracks and repairs will never fetch a good price, unless it is by someone really famous), and it will cost you vastly more to replace it with something comparable (assuming it sounds as good as you say!). But, if you do sell it, bear in mind that repairing it would only add to what you will lose by selling it -- you likely will not make up the repair costs, so I'd sell it as is (of course, I probably would not sell it at all, as I said). Best of luck, whatever you choose!

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 pm

Bearing in mind the age and condition of the guitar and the current state of the second hand market it might be better to keep hold of it. There was recently a second hand Ainsworth on the UK bay for a 'buy it now' price of £2,400. Not sure if it sold or not.

I think the issue with the mid-level market is that there is so much competition. I think someone would really have to fall in love with the guitar to part with say £2k on a 38 year old guitar which has been repaired. That being said, John Ainsworth is a respected maker with a good reputation so you never know.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Certainly a very attractive guitar. And, yes, the cracks don't look too bad from those photos. Chris Gilbert will be able give you a much better idea from seeing it in the flesh so to speak. Prospective buyers will also want to know about its action, that the neck is straight, nut width, string spacing and many other things, not least its sound. But its great looks and the testimonials to its maker should certainly mean it attracts interest.

If you decide to sell then I hope that goes well. If you decide to keep it then it seems you own a very fine guitar.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:35 am

Chris Gilbert is a very helpful and very nice man.

You might also buy some strings (and perhaps even music) when you visit the Bristol Spanish Guitar Centre. Sure the strings will probably be a little more expensive than Stringbusters, etc, but we should support local classical guitar businesses as if we don't we will lose them.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

MalcolmB

Post by MalcolmB » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:49 pm

Thank you Lovemyguitar, Rasqeo and Pat, yes I'm looking forward to Chris looking at it and giving me his well informed opinion, excited but slightly nervous to see what he thinks of her sound, definitely selling is not on my list of priorities if can be avoided! Thanks again

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:04 pm

Looks very beautiful on the pics!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”