Thoughts on Loriente Clarita?

Chueg

Thoughts on Loriente Clarita?

Postby Chueg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Loriente Clarita? I'm curious to know how it fares with you all in the $2000-ish price range.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I searched first, but I've been known to miss existing threads before.

eyedoc

Re: Thoughts on Loriente Clarita?

Postby eyedoc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Loriente is a facticious name for a Córdoba like factory guitar that Guitar Salon International imported. I believe they were made in Portugal, then Spain.
They ate decent guitars, like the Alhambra guitars,
The market is very soft on them, so you can usually get them for about $1000-$1200.
I had one for a while, and it performed well.
Ron

Jae Lee

Postby Jae Lee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Currently, Music Go Round sells Loriente Angela at $700. I recommend it. Its retail is $3500.
Don't get me wrong. I have no affiliation with Music Go Round. Good luck!

Chueg

Postby Chueg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks, both, much appreciated!

Bodhi

Postby Bodhi » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Chueg wrote:Is anyone familiar with the Loriente Clarita? I'm curious to know how it fares with you all in the $2000-ish price range.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I searched first, but I've been known to miss existing threads before.

I was blessed to be given an original Loriente Clarita spruce by my brother over 10 years ago for my 40th birthday. The guitar has just gotten better and better with age and is extremely playable with wonderful tone.

There have been numerous discussions on this over the years on this forum and the thread here has a lot of info:

viewtopic.php?t=48278

Cordoba took over the Loriente brand a few years back (2009/2010?) and have now discontinued the Loriente Clarita in favour of their C series which are now made in China (many on this forum rave over the C10 which I have not tried) and I cannot judge how the Loriente's built under Cordoba compare to the original Loriente's like mine that were hand made in Spain. Suffice to say I fully concur with all the comments in the link above from happy owners of the original Loriente models. Many will say like me that they will never part with theirs. I wonder if the ones on offer for below $1000 on various sites are from the Cordoba era not the original era? If you are interested in this model you may want to confirm if it is pre 2010 or so or if it is from the Cordoba era.
Hope the above is helpful
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

Debussychopin

Postby Debussychopin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:58 pm

Jae Lee wrote:Currently, Music Go Round sells Loriente Angela at $700. I recommend it. Its retail is $3500.

Wait , what?

Esteve 8 cedar
Alhambra 9P cedar

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:22 am

Debussychopin wrote:
Jae Lee wrote:Currently, Music Go Round sells Loriente Angela at $700. I recommend it. Its retail is $3500.

Wait , what?

Yes, I had a similar response.

From photos on the website (I cannot find a detailed text description though it does say it is used) the $720 Angela, no year of manufacture given, with a golpeador has what appears to be a significant crack in the top and some quite prominent player wear. It might indeed be a bargain but it'd need very careful inspection.
Last edited by Pat Dodson on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jae Lee

Postby Jae Lee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:37 am

For your convenience and out of curiosity, I contacted the store (Colorado). The seller replied,

"The over all condition of the guitar is good but it does have some cosmetic wear and repair. The top crack runs parallel to the neck on the top side of the guitar. The crack has been glued and cleated. The pick-guard can easily be removed. The action is sitting at 4 32nd at the 12th fret.
I have also added a couple more pictures of the guitar to the web site that better show the pick wear."

Thus, one repaired crack and strumming marks. Angela is french-polished, so the top wear is normal and understandable. I think its overall condition is very good. Loriente guitars don't have the year on the label. Considering the color of the label, signature, big rosette, headstock design, it's an early version of Loriente Angela.
I think this is the deal of the year! I highly recommend it.
Again, don't get me wrong. I have no affiliation with Music Go Round.
When I buy used guitars from Guitar Center, I usually negotiate the price. Not always successful, but at least I suceed in getting free shipping (Guitar Center offers free shipping only for new gears). I don't know Music Go Round allows a negotiation. Good luck!

Debussychopin

Postby Debussychopin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:34 am

It may be a great deal but I agree with Pat it may need serious careful inspection bc at the end of the day ..it is still $700 for a heavily played, cracked, and cleated guitar.
Not exactly pocket change.

Esteve 8 cedar
Alhambra 9P cedar

WoodNString

Postby WoodNString » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:06 pm

FROM what I've experienced, the C9's and C10's were more lightly built and smaller in size than the Clarita's. It would be good to play all of the above to make an informed decision as even the specific guitar can tip the balance.

Norman2

Postby Norman2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi, All Strings Nylon in North Carolina is the dealer for Claritas. Do a search as they just arrived at his shop. Regards
Norman2
Cordoba C9

Norman2

Postby Norman2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi, He is also offering free shipping and a free professional set up on all his guitars. I purchased a Kenny Hill 'estudio from him and he is excellent
in Customer service. Regards
Norman2
Cordoba C9

Chueg

Postby Chueg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:07 am

Oh my. I looked away for a few weeks and didn't see all your responses.

I went to Guitar Salon, tried out the Clarita, and came home with a Ramirez 125. It should keep me busy for some time. Plenty of guitar for me to grow into there.

Thanks so much, all, for the comments and research!

drmlyung

Postby drmlyung » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 am

Chueg wrote:Oh my. I looked away for a few weeks and didn't see all your responses.

I went to Guitar Salon, tried out the Clarita, and came home with a Ramirez 125. It should keep me busy for some time. Plenty of guitar for me to grow into there.

Thanks so much, all, for the comments and research!

The spruce Clarita will take sometime and playing to really open up. You might missed something good there. 8)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”