Valuation and advise needed please - Yamaha GC-7 Grand Concert

JNelson467

Valuation and advise needed please - Yamaha GC-7 Grand Concert

Postby JNelson467 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:27 pm

Hello all

I'm new to this forum and am only a novice guitar player but am seeking some input and advise on a guitar I acquired. I may have posted this on another area of site so please excuse me if I did.

I found some info on here already on the Yamaha GC-7 but would like some specifics on this guitar as it seems to be in very good condition with only a few nail marks below the Strings. I still have the Yamaha pamphlet it came with and as far as I know case is origInal. The inside has the luthier tag and serial but i do not know what year it may have been made. Seems late 70's to mid 80's was what I found to be the range for a GC-7?

I hope photos can provide support to my inquiry as I may consider selling it but wanted to also have a idea on a price valuation. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jae Lee

Re: Valuation and advise needed please - Yamaha GC-7 Grand Concert

Postby Jae Lee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Yamaha GC7 has two versions. Japanese version was made between 1979 and 1985. Yours was made in Taiwan 1987 or 1997 (# starts with N, which means 7). Unfortunately, Taiwan-made Yamaha GCs usually don't have much value , although they are very good guitars.
Good luck.
Jae

JNelson467

Postby JNelson467 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:49 pm

Thank you for the reply back. I presume you are referring to the letter N in the inside tag no. Being for a year ending in 7. Where I am concerned is that I did not find that Yamaha was making a GC-7 model after 1991 based on another posting I located on this forum so I presume this is a 1987? Thank you again for the reply.

Specifications : GC-7
Mfg: 1986-1991
MSRP: $850.00
Top: Solid Pine
Back and sides: Rosewood
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Ebony
Bridge: Rosewood

Jae Lee

Postby Jae Lee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:09 pm

Yes, that's the correct info. Your guitar was made in 1987.
Between 1986 and 2000, Yamaha Taiwan factory produced GC guitars from GC3 to GC40. If the top is cedar, the number is followed by "C".
Yamaha MSRP is based on the first year of the model. In 1991, your guitar might have been more expensive than $850.
$850 in 1987 indicates it was an expensive guitar.
The problem is our preconception that Taiwan-made Yamaha is inferior to Japan-made Yamaha.
Accordingly, people tend to pay less money for Taiwan-made Yamaha.

JNelson467

Postby JNelson467 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:34 pm

Thank you again for the reply. Seeing that in the last 30 years $850 would no be equivalent to about $1800 in today's dollars, what would be a fair price to offer if I was to consider selling it?

Jae Lee

Postby Jae Lee » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:12 am

Go to the e b a y and find a similar list. Although the e b a y should not be a price standard, it's the most popular place. Currently, Yamaha GC11 made in Japan is being sold at $600 + $120 shiiping. But nobody has bought it so far.
Today's guitar market is just awful. e - b a y and Reverb have contributed to the depreciation of guitar value.

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:12 am

Yamaha guitars don't have a great resale, except a few exceptional models. Even if the guitar was in perfect condition, I couldn't see you listing it for more than $600-$800US and maybe taking less then that to sell it. Plus, if it's not in perfect condition, you would take money off that figure for the listing and sale price (in my opinion, of course). I think they are much more valuable as player guitars because they can sound nice. For they money, it's likely not worth selling. You won't get anything of this quality for the amount you will get for the guitar.

The early 70's Yamaha models are a little more collectable, and even then they aren't worth much in comparison to some of the Japanese counterparts.

The second strike against the guitar is that it was made in Taiwan, which makes it worth even less.

I was thinking of selling my 1971 Yamaha, and even that guitar being all solid and hand luthier signed in Japanese wouldn't fetch too much.

Good luck!
Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

JNelson467

Postby JNelson467 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks for the replies. I definitely see both of your perspectives Jae and Martin. This guitar plays nice and may be worth simply holding on to. Happy New Year!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”