Hiscox PRO II cases and neck support ?

Jeffrey Chan
Student of the online lessons

Hiscox PRO II cases and neck support ?

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:32 am

I recently got a Hiscox PRO II GCL-L classical guitar case ( size large ) for my Hippner Torres guitar.

Seems strange that the neck is not supported at all in this case. Has anybody had a similar problem ? Are there pads that can be used, etc ?
IMG_20170101_200717.jpg
IMG_20170101_200800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Hill Signature Double Top Standup #2469

PREVIOUS
2015 Hippner Torres Cedar #813
2002 Dunn Double Top Cedar #12
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
2007 Redman Spruce, Zebrawood
2008 Loriente Marieta, Spruce
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

souldier

Re: Hiscox PRO II cases and neck support ?

Post by souldier » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:28 pm

There's a possibility it could be due to the design of your guitar that causes the neck to be elevated rather than resting on the compartment door. I've had the same issue with several guitars for my visesnut case - but gladly my current guitar neck rests perfectly on the neck rest. It's probably one of the disadvantages of having a one size fits all solution. In this case (pun intended) I'd just buy some foam and place it across the compartment to immobilize the neck.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:38 pm

I have three (3) Hiscox Pro II cases and have not come across this before on any of my guitars. However, none of my guitars have elevated finger boards like yours so I wonder whether this may be causing your issue? Have you considered contacting Darren Hippner and asking him for advice? I'd be worried about leaving the neck floating like that in the case.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:13 pm

I think this is a potential issue with any guitar that differs too much from "standard" measurements, e.g. deep bodied guitars, those with elevated fingerboards or older instruments where the neck has started to lean forwards.

Often a case is designed with a neck-rest in the body of the case and a pad in the lid that, when the case is closed, snugly hold the neck in place. When the neck floats above the neck-rest the pad in the lid will tend to press the neck lower into the neck rest - though the extent to which this happens, if it happens at all, depends on how soft the pad in the neck is. This can tilt (or pivot) the guitar on its heel, so that the body of the instrument rises. I have one guitar where this definitely happens but the Hiscox Pro II case has enough headroom to accommodate it and as I mainly use the case for storage (in an upright position) and as it isn't subject to dramatic shocks I reckon the guitar is fine.

I did buy a Visesnut case for this guitar but had to return it as there wasn't enough headroom in the body of the case, which meant the case was pressing down on the top of the neck and the top of the bottom end of the body, whilst simultaneously pressing up on the bottom of the heel - stretching the guitar like a bow - ouch!
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:26 pm

I have 3 Hiscox Pro 2 cases, one of which contains a guitar with elevated fretboard (a Barnett). In all 3 instances the back of the neck at the headstock end rests on a raised support with a semicircular notch in it to accept the neck - I can't see that in your pics? Does your case have it? It should be immediately adjacent to the black strap used to open the compartment.
The neck is then immobilised when the lid is closed because the latter has a pad that pushes against the fretboard.
The neck is not supported along its whole length but that's not needed if it is held firmly at the headstock and body.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Torres guitars are generally smaller than average. It seems strange to buy a large case for a small guitar. Maybe you can contact Hiscox directly and ask for their recommendation. From the pictures, the guitar simply doesn't look at home in the case.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:52 pm

I agree with Simonm. I owned one guitar with a raised fretboard and it was the one guitar that would not fit at all in a Hiscox case. Hiscox may well have a solution and would therefore be the appropriate place to check. The raised fretboard guitar I had fit like a glove in a TKL double arch case.
Good luck. But get your situation attended to as an ill fitting case is an invitation for a less than happy ending.
Hauser III 2014!

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:10 pm

my two guitars that have elevated necks do not fit the hiscox pro II... the lid wouldn't even close shut.

Jeffrey Chan

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I was under the assumption that a case is a case is a case! :)

I emailed Darren for his recommendation.

PREVIOUS
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

Jeffrey Chan

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:58 am

Looks like I will need to put the Hiscox case up for sale and get something else. Darren recommended TKL cases.

PREVIOUS
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:22 am

waime wrote:Looks like I will need to put the Hiscox case up for sale and get something else. Darren recommended TKL cases.
I'd keep the case and make up some foam padding to fill the gap. You may have a long search if your guitar has an unusual set of proportions.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Jeffrey Chan

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks for the recommendation

I didn't mention that the lid does not close very well, about 1/2 gap with the guitar in it. It closes and locks if I push it down, but rather would not do this

PREVIOUS
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:14 pm

waime wrote:Thanks for the recommendation

I didn't mention that the lid does not close very well, about 1/2 gap with the guitar in it. It closes and locks if I push it down, but rather would not do this
A Hiscox case should close very easily indeed, with no gaps.

According to the dimensions on the Hippner and Hiscox websites the case should easily accommodate the depth of your guitar so what might be happening is that the pad in the top of the case, above the neck, is pushing the neck down into its cradle - pivoting the guitar on the heel and pushing the bottom of the guitar up against the lid. I had the same issue with a Visesnut case where the headroom (space above the guitar body) is much, much less than the Hiscox - a lovely case but, thankfully, I was able to return it.

I would not force the lid of the case down - bad for the guitar.

(It might be an illusion but the photos give the impression that the neck is set with a slight forward angle which, if correct, would add to effect of the elevated fingerboard.)
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Jeffrey Chan

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:33 pm

I have a Crossrock CRF1000CWT fiberglass case on order and will try that.

I've had TKL cases in the past, and they are great cases, just heavy. If the CrossRock doesn't fit, i'll get the TKL.

Other than the fit, I was hoping to keep the hiscox case, it's well designed and fairly light - good latches.

PREVIOUS
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:11 pm

Try the guitar in a Visesnut if you have access to one, it's designed to adapt to various guitar sizes. I have an elevated fingerboard and it's a good fit in my Visesnut.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”