Hanika guitars anyone have experience?

cgscott

Hanika guitars anyone have experience?

Post by cgscott » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:21 am

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying the Hanika 54PF and I was wondering if anyone has owned this guitar? I'm a lefty so have issues with choice and this seems to be the only spruce model I can find around this price range. Does anyone have any other suggestions around the £800 mark?

I'm having trouble searching the threads, as searching seems to result in no results so I'm unable to check if a similar thread already exists.

Kind regards

Scott

Pat Dodson

Re: Hanika guitars anyone have experience?

Post by Pat Dodson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:51 am

Since the forum was migrated to a new server there have been problems with the search function. The way around it is to search for Delcamp Hanika 54pf at the big search engine in the sky. That brings up several results of references in threads here.

cgscott

Post by cgscott » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:10 am

Pat Dodson wrote:Since the forum was migrated to a new server there have been problems with the search function. The way around it is to search for Delcamp Hanika 54pf at the big search engine in the sky. That brings up several results of references in threads here.
Ahh okay! Thankyou

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:17 pm

I've just looked that model up. They seem to have a fairly unique way of making the tie bridge block. I'm still trying to decide whether it's a good idea. It probably has an advantage and a disadvantage, at least that's my first thought.
Historicalguitars.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:00 pm

I own a custom-made Hanika and have tried a couple of them, but mainly higher priced models (58 and up). They're perfectly made, great tone, great response, you can't go wrong with a Hanika. The Thømann shop lists a PF 54 for EUR 1.099,-- which I think is absolutely appropriate.
The only thing that might disturb you: "Lower priced" Hanikas tend to have fat necks. The picture at T.... shows a D-shaped neck and I think it is also thickness D (not D minus one or D minus two), see: http://www.hanika.de/de/optionen/halspr ... etail.html
If it's important for you, you can ask your dealer or Armin Hanika himself to be sure about it.

@ Michael N.: There's nothing wrong with the tie block - it works, it's easy to handle, no problems.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:28 pm

I know it works. It looks like it has a greater break angle over the saddle, which is good when the guitar starts losing the neck angle. It also looks as though wear at the front exit holes of the tie block may wear a bit quicker - there doesn't look to be a lot of wood there in comparison to a normal bridge block. I'm referring to long term effects, which I doubt anyone will worry about.
Historicalguitars.

cgscott

Post by cgscott » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Gorn wrote:I own a custom-made Hanika and have tried a couple of them, but mainly higher priced models (58 and up). They're perfectly made, great tone, great response, you can't go wrong with a Hanika. The Thømann shop lists a PF 54 for EUR 1.099,-- which I think is absolutely appropriate.
The only thing that might disturb you: "Lower priced" Hanikas tend to have fat necks. The picture at T.... shows a D-shaped neck and I think it is also thickness D (not D minus one or D minus two), see: http://www.hanika.de/de/optionen/halspr ... etail.html
If it's important for you, you can ask your dealer or Armin Hanika himself to be sure about it.

@ Michael N.: There's nothing wrong with the tie block - it works, it's easy to handle, no problems.
Ahh wonderful, The fat neck doesn't bother me, the current CG I play and have owned for around 4 years now cost me £60 brand new... So I'm sure this one will be much better!

Is it possible to get some material taken from the neck by a luthier if it bothers me?

Thankyou

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Yes, Hanika is offering good quality at decent prices, you cannot go wrong with them. The 54 PF is a good choice.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Those neck measurements aren't thick at all. I would say they are average to below average.
Historicalguitars.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:49 pm

Hanika guitars are nice. The necks are thicker than most, but some people like that. I don't think you can really go wrong with them. I chose a Camps over the Hanikas I played, but there wasn't much in it, just personal preference. I played 3-4 Hanikas including the 54pf.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:56 pm

cgscott wrote: Is it possible to get some material taken from the neck by a luthier if it bothers me?
Thankyou
Funny you're mentioning that. Short time ago, there was a thread "Hacking a Hanika" viewtopic.php?f=11&t=108150 and I will go to "my" luthier-and-shop-around-the-corner on wednesday to have my neck reshaped from D-1 to C-1 (I hope she'll get it down even to something between D&C -1.5, I'll see...) and it will be refinished from PU varnish to wax.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:38 am

Adirondack music has a left handed Córdoba C10 for $999USD. It's all solid woods and comes with a case of some sort.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:47 pm

I recently purchased a Hanika 50PF from my teacher, who is also the distributor for Nova Scotia. It is their basic student model, which is fine for my purposes, since I have been studying classical for less than two years and have no plans to give recitals, this being for my own pleasure.

I was playing an Almansa 436 before this. The Hanika's tone is crisp and clear with really good definition. It has a very light finish which no doubt contributes to the projection and volume. Definitely an upgrade from the Almansa. I would love someday to get a custom-built one, with different neck dimensions and possibly a slightly shorter scale, but for now I am quite happy with this guitar.
Ben Robertson
Hanika 50PF; Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan gypsy jazz guitar; 1946 Epiphone Triumph

JohnEdwin

Post by JohnEdwin » Wed May 17, 2017 4:27 am

I just purchased a Hanika 58CC (Cedar/ Cocobolo) equipped with Savarez Alliance Cantiga 510ARJ. I had been looking for a cedar top in the 650 scale to replace my Ramirez 664. The quality of the Hanika 58CC has excellent projection and sustain and separation. The tonality is wide-ranging with the capability of great dynamics and timbre. I am very pleased with my purchase. The cocobolo is beautiful with its deep reddish hue, and the Canadian cedar is fine grained. So it just as beautiful to look at as it is to listen.
John Edwin Snyder, Denton, TX USA (Student)

1966 Mercado ex. Earl Klugh
1971 Ramirez 1a (#4567 JG)
2012 WoodRing
2017 Cervantes Class Lattice IR C
2017 Hanika 58CC

tcee

Post by tcee » Wed May 17, 2017 7:23 am

Hi cgscott, I know this topic is a bit old but I just stumbled over it. Yes, I am a proud ownder of the Hanika PF54 for about 10 years now and I am very happy with it. I love the clear sound and the handling. However I don't have much experience with other guitars and I can't tell you how well it is suited for leftys. If you have any more questions please let me know.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”