Yamaha GC82 S/C

nmshu1

Yamaha GC82 S/C

Postby nmshu1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:07 am

How about Yamaha Grand Concert 82 Spruce or Cedar with the price $18,000 ?

Anybody has/had it? Any comments on it...

It is factory guitar or production guitar?

Pls. Find: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... uct_lineup

https://youtu.be/4VH5dQcoX5g

https://youtu.be/POQaLo34FoU
Last edited by nmshu1 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650 / Juan Hernandez Torres 640 / German V. Rubio Concert 635
Kenny Hill Performance 630 / Córdoba C9 650 / Sweet Tone 640

souldier

Re: Yamaha GC82 S/C

Postby souldier » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:17 am

I've played many Yamaha's and in their respective price ranges they were all great instruments, and I am sure the GC82 is a fine instrument, but at $18,000 that is outrageously overpriced in my honest opinion. At that price there is a world of options to choose from, and I am sure there are just as good if not far better instruments at even lower price points.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

2014 James Frieson | Swiss Spruce . Madagascar Rosewood

Jae Lee

Postby Jae Lee » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:40 am

Who said GC82(C) is $18,000? Its US retail is $9,999.
Look at the official Japanese prices:

http://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/cl-guitars/gc_series/?mode=series#tab=product_lineup

GC82: 1,150,000 Yen
GC70/71: 1,600,000 Yen
GC60: 1,000,000 Yen
GC42: 450,000 Yen
GC32: 200,000 Yen
1994 Yamaha Grand Concert Custom GC-50C by Ezaki

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:34 am

nmshu1 wrote:How about Yamaha Grand Concert 82 Spruce or Cedar with the price $18,000 ?

Anybody has/had it? Any comments on it...

It is factory guitar or production guitar?

The street price of the GC82 is much less than $18000. I have seen them advertised for $9999 Canadian and you can likely get them a little lower than that.

I haven't played one. But, it's definitely not a factory guitar. It is hand made at the Yamaha facility in Japan by their master luthier and, from what I have read, takes a few months just to do the finish on it with all the layers of french polish and buffing. This would be a true master guitar in the finest built tradition.

As far as if it is worth it, that is up to each person. It's going to be a nice guitar, as most of the high end Yamaha GC series are. I'm not sure about the sound, but I would bet it's beautiful.

Sure there are plenty of choices in that range, but I would definitely give the Yamaha a chance. Plenty of concert players over the years have picked Yamaha GC series guitars to concertize with. They have the pedigree of a world class guitar. So given the price of some other world class guitars, you might be getting a deal with the GC82! Try buying a Hauser for under $10,000!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:58 am

I did a quick net search and the first link (possibly a Japanese seller) offered it for just over $US 9,000 with a note that the price could vary due to exchange rates.

edcat7

Postby edcat7 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:23 am

I had a look at the UK's Yamaha website and the GC82 is going for under £10,000. What is interesting is that it is available at it's flagship store in London, where obviously it can be played.

£10,000 is a lot of money and I'm sure you can buy better for less; look at the some of the used ones listed on the forum.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:54 am

Can't see that being great value, even at the lower street prices quoted by some.

Beowulf

Postby Beowulf » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:18 pm

I have an GC82S on order...will cost me $9500 CDN. Check this thread for more information: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=108170. There are Youtube videos of the instrument (as well as the GC82C) being played by the Amadeus Duo and Bird Ekachai Jearakul. Also Marcel Powell playing the GC82S as accompaniment to Fabiana Monero who sings Jobim's "Girl from Ipanema", and Berta Rojas playing Julia Florida on the GC82C.

I preferred the sound of the Spruce (design derived from Segovia's Santos Hernandez and Hauser I guitars) for my taste and music repertoire, however the cedar is also lovely with a more traditional Spanish sound.

nmshu1

Postby nmshu1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 pm

Beowulf wrote:I have an GC82S on order...will cost me $9500 CDN. Check this thread for more information: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=108170. There are Youtube videos of the instrument (as well as the GC82C) being played by the Amadeus Duo and Bird Ekachai Jearakul. Also Marcel Powell playing the GC82S as accompaniment to Fabiana Monero who sings Jobim's "Girl from Ipanema", and Berta Rojas playing Julia Florida on the GC82C.

I preferred the sound of the Spruce (design derived from Segovia's Santos Hernandez and Hauser I guitars) for my taste and music repertoire, however the cedar is also lovely with a more traditional Spanish sound.

For 650 guitars:

I feel to assess guitar usually should use D'Addario EJ45. Some cheaper guitars can get very good results by using high tension strings 90++lb

The real excellent guitars have very good results by using D'Addario EJ45 normal tension strings...

Normal tension means very good playability !

High tension means poor playability !

If you play more than 4 hours every day, you have to use normal tension strings otherwise your left hand can not afford it.
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650 / Juan Hernandez Torres 640 / German V. Rubio Concert 635

Beowulf

Postby Beowulf » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:30 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
Beowulf wrote:I have an GC82S on order...will cost me $9500 CDN. Check this thread for more information: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=108170. There are Youtube videos of the instrument (as well as the GC82C) being played by the Amadeus Duo and Bird Ekachai Jearakul. Also Marcel Powell playing the GC82S as accompaniment to Fabiana Monero who sings Jobim's "Girl from Ipanema", and Berta Rojas playing Julia Florida on the GC82C.

For 650 guitars:

I feel to assess guitar usually should use D'Addario EJ45. Some cheaper guitars can get very good results by using high tension strings 90++lb

The real excellent guitars have very good results by using D'Addario EJ45 normal tension strings...

If you play more than 4 hours every day, you have to use normal tension strings otherwise your left hand can not afford it.

The GC82S comes set up with Augustine Regal/Blue and tension preference is also different for each player. That said, I do not play more than 2 hours/day and have no problems with Hard/Extra Hard strings. In any case the D'Addario EHT are a bit lower tension that the Augustine Regal/Blue and the Hannabach MT, so tension ratings are not consistent across makers.

Back to your query: what do you think of the example recordings mentioned above? Comparisons are better when the GC82S/C are both played in the same acoustic space, but one can still get a sense of the guitar's voice and character.

nmshu1

Postby nmshu1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Beowulf wrote:
nmshu1 wrote:

For 650 guitars:

The GC82S comes set up with Augustine Regal/Blue and tension preference is also different for each player. That said, I do not play more than 2 hours/day and have no problems with Hard/Extra Hard strings. In any case the D'Addario EHT are a bit lower tension that the Augustine Regal/Blue and the Hannabach MT, so tension ratings are not consistent across makers.

Back to your query: what do you think of the example recordings mentioned above? Comparisons are better when the GC82S/C are both played in the same acoustic space, but one can still get a sense of the guitar's voice and character.

I like the sound from YouTube about Yamaha GC 82 S/C. However I prefer to D'Addario EJ45 to accesse the guitars. Because lower tension strings are difficult to get good results. That means it is difficult to make. You can see almost all cheaper guitars using high tension strings to get good results...

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:58 pm

nmshu1 wrote:You can see almost all cheaper guitars using high tension strings to get good results...

Then, fine guitars using high tension strings will give fantastic results hahaha :mrgreen:
Kremona Fiesta FC (cd/rw)
Miguel Almeria 20 (cd/lam rw)

nmshu1

Postby nmshu1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:25 am

guitarseller345645 wrote:
nmshu1 wrote:You can see almost all cheaper guitars using high tension strings to get good results...

Then, fine guitars using high tension strings will give fantastic results hahaha :mrgreen:

My philosophy is expensive guitars should use lower tension strings like D'Addario EJ45 to get very good results. Otherwise cheaper guitars are good enough...

Beowulf

Postby Beowulf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:35 am

nmshu1 wrote:

My philosophy is expensive guitars should use lower tension strings like D'Addario EJ45 to get very good results. Otherwise cheaper guitars are good enough...

I very much doubt that it is possible to assess the Yamaha GC82S/C with a specific set of strings unless you purchase the guitar. I do not know what strings were used for the Youtube performances noted above, though I suspect the Berta Rojas used Savarez Alliance/Corum HT.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:51 am

Beowulf wrote:
nmshu1 wrote:

I very much doubt that it is possible to assess the Yamaha GC82S/C with a specific set of strings unless you purchase the guitar. I do not know what strings were used for the Youtube performances noted above, though I suspect the Berta Rojas used Savarez Alliance/Corum HT.

I am curious why you think Berta Rojas uses Alliance trebles?

Peter

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”