Yamaha GC82 S/C

Beowulf

Re: Yamaha GC82 S/C

Post by Beowulf » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Yes...it is an interesting interview but could have been much more informative with a Japanese/English interpreter. This would have allowed Akio Naniki to be far more articulate. Thanks for the synopsis!

From the link you posted above (great source!) under"Pick up" there is much that confirms his interview coments:

Yamaha's Japanese site has articles on the development of the GC-70/C/, GC-71 and the GC82S/C (I do not read Japanese, so the interent translations are clumsy):

A discussion between Toshio Kato and Shomura Kiyoshi in which the evolution of the sound is discussed. Shomura Kiyoshi felt that the GC-30A needed improvement in the bass firmness and sustain and Toshio Kato confirms that this was one of his goals in working to develop the GC-70 over a period of 9 years.

Segovia actually chose a GC-70C for his collection.

Information on the changes made with the 82 series relative to the 70/71 series:

"We made improvements to make the sound rich, the sound rise well, the sound that sounds good and brighter.I think that it became the sound which can feel the gloss and color feeling also in the clear sound which is the feature of Yamaha's classical guitar "Akio Naniki, development manager.

"GC 82 S" is based on "GC 71", "GC 82 C" is based on "GC 70 C"

"GC 82 S" and "GC 82 C" were added mainly to the "bonding and accuracy of woodwork", "the thickness of the front plate", "the length and shape of the rhinestone stuck on the back of the front plate", "painting ". In guitar making, all processes influence the tone from selection of materials, but the tone will change not only depending on how it is made but also by the person who makes it. Along with the trend of the times, new materials, adhesives, paints, etc. are born and mechanized, but Yamaha continues to keep the traditional recipe."

"I showed prototypes of" GC 71 "to Baden Powell in 1984 when I was in Germany and Hamburg, he liked it very much, then after he wrote a letter and said," There is a soul in this guitar It can be asserted that it is going down.It was written that it is a real guitar. "It was reunited twelve years later, but I was deeply moved by being told the same kind of words directly." Mr. Naniki)

GC82S/C Sound

Spruce
Core sound with transparent feeling
Sounds heavy
Tone color change due to nail touch is large
The sound change due to the impact effect is large

Cedar
Bright and warm sound
Good sound response
The treble is slightly thick, and it is louder than the pine
The change of the sound due to the impact is small and the degree of completion is high

"GC 82 S" is a model pursuing a new sound with reference to the sound produced by Spanish producer Santos Herminandez and German producer Hauser I and features a rich bass and a bright high tone, and outstanding distantness Is realized.

"GC 82 C" realizes the original sound with reference to the sound of the Spanish producer Manuel Ramirez, features a sweet, bright and soft sound, realizing rich volume and excellent response.

GC70 It is a vertex model of pine tree material of Yamaha original sound which made carefully selected German pine veneer as a table board based on traditional Spanish production technology. A delicate tone with transparency drifts the fragrance of Spain, enabling expressive performance.

GC70C It is a rice cedar model of GC-70, using carefully selected rice cedar veneer as a top board. As a vertex model of Yamaha original sound rice cedar, it features sweet, bright and warm tones. It was added to one of Segovia's ten collections. Excellent response and rich volume make dynamic representation possible.

GC71 It is a unique approach model that S. Hernández and Hauser I's sound are sublimed by Yamaha's design and production technique. We realized a heavy bass and a thickly extended treble, Andrés Segovia is also acclaimed. It is excellent in far reach and makes your performance stand out even at the concert hall.
Akio Naniki with GC-71.jpg
Mr. Naniki used to join in the production of the guitar used by João Gilberto before and was also a super developer who also worked on the development of silent guitar! It is! Actually Mr. Naniki, developer of the model "GC 71" 29 years ago. It is said that he was away from the development of classical guitar several years ago, but in the meantime he also watched and played various guitars as guitar enthusiasts, and he seems to incorporate ideas born there into his new work.
Baden Powell with GC-71.jpg
Legend of Brazilian music world, Baden Powell (1937-2000).
Picture with "GC 71".
Also, his son Marcel is a masterpiece for the future of Brazilian music.
What kind of music will he deliver to us that he has a "GC 82 S" from now on? This is not the end of the story. Baden Powell will leave the world in 2000, but Mr. Naniki could hand his new work "GC 82 S" to his son and guitarist Marcel Powell. And Marcel Powell said, "I can not believe it was easy to play and seems to have been made for myself" to Mr. Naniki.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Beowulf on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:17 am

All this talk of the GC82 is making me want to buy one! hahaha..
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:14 am

Philosopherguy wrote:All this talk of the GC82 is making me want to buy one! hahaha..
You can have mine if I don't like it... :mrgreen:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:25 am

Beowulf wrote:
Philosopherguy wrote:All this talk of the GC82 is making me want to buy one! hahaha..
You can have mine if I don't like it... :mrgreen:
Deal! I don't think that is likely though!
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

SavageTofu

Post by SavageTofu » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Did you get the guitar yet? Thoughts?

Thee Yamaha GC42 is significantly cheaper... what is the difference?

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:37 pm

SavageTofu wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Not yet...likely within the next month :!:

Many differences...check this thread for a fuller description of the GC82S: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=108170

GC82S: German spruce top, Madagascar rosewood back and sides, Cedro neck, Madagascar rosewood bridge, Body depth: 93-101mm, Body shape derived from GC71, Specific top bracing shape and design, Nut width: 52.5mm, Body length: 484mm, Total length: 988mm, Body width: 366mm, Tuning machines: GOTOH 35G510QC-M, French polish finish, Case: Hardshell

GC42S: Spruce top, Madagascar rosewood back and sides, African mahogany neck, Indian rosewood bridge, Body depth: 94-100mm, Body shape GC series, Specific top bracing shape and design, Nut width: 52mm, Body length: 490mm, Total length: 988mm, Body width: 370mm, Tuning machines: Yamaha YTM-81, Lacquer finish, Case: Reinforced carrying bag

And of course...the instrument's voice!
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:48 am

SavageTofu wrote:

The real significant difference is the time and care that goes into a GC82 vs a GC42. Also, the details are different in the types, and likely age, of wood used and these types of things. The finish on the GC82 is french polish applied over a few months, whereas the GC42 finish is likely the regular line of Yamaha poly finish they use on their other Gc level guitars. Not that the regular finish is bad, but it is the time and care that goes into the process that makes the GC82 the guitar it is.

Overall, you might find a GC42 that sounds as beautiful as a GC82. But, your chances are much higher that the GC82 will normally always turn out better because of the care and work that goes into each part of the guitar. This is not saying that the GC42 is a bad guitar, it is not. However, as with everything in life, you get what you pay for.

I used to have 2 Yamaha GC41's and they were great guitars for the money. From what I have read, the new GC42's share more in common with the older GC82's now than the GC41 did because they reworked it when the new model came out. For comparison sake, the new GC32 is likely more akin to the older GC41 (also the reason that the prices roughly match up between the older 41 and the new 32 - the difference being the wood used. Yamaha is using less "hard to get woods" in their mid range stuff).

Martin
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

SavageTofu

Post by SavageTofu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Thank you.

You must be excited...

I play on a Córdoba Gk pro cypress. I like it. I don't have anything to compare it to. Its not like you can readily play on these finer instruments. I like the fact that Yamaha has monthly financing options through sweetwater or musicians friend... I guess the best way to do research is online. It allows you to narrow down the field. Thank you for answering my questions.

I've been looking at many of the Córdoba master series guitars particularly the Hauser copy... I'll probably look more into that new Custom Ce just because you can plug it in.

I use Daddario Ej46 high tension strings. It is interesting to know, that you might use normal tension strings on finer instruments. Look forward to hearing your thoughts in the future...

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:33 am

SavageTofu wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:32 pm
Thank you.

You must be excited...

I play on a Córdoba Gk pro cypress. I like it. I don't have anything to compare it to. Its not like you can readily play on these finer instruments. I like the fact that Yamaha has monthly financing options through sweetwater or musicians friend... I guess the best way to do research is online. It allows you to narrow down the field. Thank you for answering my questions.

I've been looking at many of the Córdoba master series guitars particularly the Hauser copy... I'll probably look more into that new Custom Ce just because you can plug it in.

I use Daddario Ej46 high tension strings. It is interesting to know, that you might use normal tension strings on finer instruments. Look forward to hearing your thoughts in the future...
Not exactly excited...so far it has been two months longer than I had expected. However...

"Anticipation
Anticipation
Is making me wait
Is keeping me waiting"

The Cordoba Master Series Hauser sounds quite nice, though the upper trebles seem to lose a bit of sustain relative to the other registers.

Even "finer" instruments can do well with higher tension strings, it is a very individual thing for each guitar. I like the touch and feel of the higher tension strings. Yamaha provides Augustine Regal/Blue strings on the GC82S. I have played on them and like them quite a lot on my GC-10.

Thoughts and impressions to come.

Douglas
1971 Yamaha GC-10

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:01 am

Philosopherguy wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:17 am
I very much prefer the Yamaha GC70 than the Yamaha GC82S/C. I might look for a used GC61 or used GC70.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 am

SavageTofu wrote:

I can think of the following differences:
1. The selection of the wood for their top models namely the GC70, GC71 & GC82 has to be the best out of the very vast stocks of wood that Yamaha has been keeping for decades.
2. If I am not mistaken the GC70, GC71 & GC82 has a spanish heel construction where as the GC42 uses the dovetail join. Probably the shaping of the neck is done by CNC.
3. The luthier assign to the GC70, GC71 & GC82 has to be Yamaha's very best and probably the GC42 is a training ground for future luthier for their top models construction.
4. The marquetry inlay used on the GC70, GC71 & GC82 are more detail and more intricate. They are probably the best that I have seen.
5. Both the GC70 & GC82 are fully French polished.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:21 pm

HNLim wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:01 am
Philosopherguy wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:17 am
I very much prefer the Yamaha GC70 than the Yamaha GC82S/C. I might look for a used GC61 or used GC70.
I an interview between Kiyoshi Shomura (Japanese guitarist who studied with Narciso Yepes) and Toshiro Kato (designer of the GC70), both agreed that the C70 was significantly improved in the area of bass response and sustain when compared to the GC30A. Kato indicated that was his goal during the 9 years of development before the GC70 was released in 1983.

What do you prefer about the GC70? I considered a GC71...but alas CITES restrictions made one well nigh impossible and I have not seen one already resident in Canada.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:32 pm

HNLim wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 am
SavageTofu wrote:

2. If I am not mistaken the GC70, GC71 & GC82 has a spanish heel construction where as the GC42 uses the dovetail join. Probably the shaping of the neck is done by CNC.
I would be surprised if the G42 does not have a spanish heel (after all it is around $3600US or $4500CDN). Yamaha's literature indicates that all the GC series necks are shaped by hand, and they have a fair number of luthiers in their guild.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:49 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:32 pm
HNLim wrote:
SavageTofu wrote:

I would be surprised if the G42 does not have a spanish heel (after all it is around $3600US or $4500CDN). Yamaha's literature indicates that all the GC series necks are shaped by hand, and they have a fair number of luthiers in their guild.
I'm not quite sure why the neck joint matters much? hahaha.. Plenty of high end luthier guitars employ a dovetail joint for the neck. But, I haven't looked at the GC42 enough to know what joint they use. I think there are many other things that would influence the sound more then the joint used. As long as it's not going to fall off, then I don't know why people care too much?

It's all about the final sound and integrity of the instrument. The steps to get to that final product don't matter all that much. There are plenty of methods of achieving the same thing.

The big difference in the 42 and 82 is going to be the wood and the labour used to make the instrument. After all, likely 80% or more(easily) of the price that goes into a guitar is labour. Compared to many other instruments labour on a guitar is pretty cheap! Violin's are ridiculously expensive for something half decent and handmade and the wood isn't any more expensive for a violin then it would be for a guitar.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:29 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:49 pm
Beowulf wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:32 pm
HNLim wrote:

I'm not quite sure why the neck joint matters much? hahaha.. Plenty of high end luthier guitars employ a dovetail joint for the neck. But, I haven't looked at the GC42 enough to know what joint they use. I think there are many other things that would influence the sound more then the joint used. As long as it's not going to fall off, then I don't know why people care too much?

It's all about the final sound and integrity of the instrument. The steps to get to that final product don't matter all that much. There are plenty of methods of achieving the same thing.

The big difference in the 42 and 82 is going to be the wood and the labour used to make the instrument. After all, likely 80% or more(easily) of the price that goes into a guitar is labour. Compared to many other instruments labour on a guitar is pretty cheap! Violin's are ridiculously expensive for something half decent and handmade and the wood isn't any more expensive for a violin then it would be for a guitar.

Martin
I quite agree, and the dovetail is also easier to reset/repair (if necessary). Yamaha is pretty traditional when it comes to its higher level instruments made at the custom shop (GC82S/C, GC42S/C, GC32S/C)...so I doubt dovetails and CNC are involved. They certainly use these manufacturing techniques at lower levels and with steel string acoustics.

Douglas
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”