Cordoba C9

rsclosson

Cordoba C9

Post by rsclosson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Just received a "damaged" Cordoba C9. The damage was a small crack on the back which was easily repaired by my tech. The crack isn't totally invisible but it looks good enough not to bother me; especially for the price. It was a new old stock guitar and I was able to get it for under $300 with a humi case included! Other than the crack, it is a like new guitar.

I am amazed at how great this guitar sounds. I have owned plenty of great guitars over the years; most of them better than I deserved. Financial pressures forced me to let them go at one time or another to my great sadness. I was afraid I was going to have to "settle" for a cheaper guitar. When the strings came up to tension on this Cordoba, it sounded great! It will never be a Hauser or a (fill in with whatever great guitar you can think of) but it is very satisfying to play. Much more projection than I expected and a nice warm but still crisp sound. I can happily play this for a long time. If I had any anti-mahogany bias in the past, it is gone. This is a much better sounding guitar than I expected.
Last edited by rsclosson on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rsclosson

Re: Cordoba C9

Post by rsclosson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Forgot to mention that it is a cedar top.

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:34 pm

I played a Cordoba C9 for many years. It was the old C9 with an ebony fingerboard and an almost dramatic 3-dimensional mahogany back and sides that they no longer use. It was a fantastic instrument and performed miles above its price point. It was also very comfortable to play. Truly an underrated instrument. I had a chance to compare it to handmade luthier instruments and it often held its own or was even better and I say this with no exaggeration. You have a fine instrument that you need not be ashamed of and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:40 pm

souldier wrote:I played a Cordoba C9 for many years. It was the old C9 with an ebony fingerboard and an almost dramatic 3-dimensional mahogany back and sides that they no longer use. It was a fantastic instrument and performed miles above its price point. It was also very comfortable to play. Truly an underrated instrument. I had a chance to compare it to handmade luthier instruments and it often held its own or was even better and I say this with no exaggeration. You have a fine instrument that you need not be ashamed of and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
Wow! I thought the mahogany on mine was beautiful (still do) but yours is stunning! I agree this guitar holds its own with many higher priced guitars!

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Duplicate post.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:05 pm

rsclosson wrote:Just received a "damaged" Cordoba C9. The damage was a small crack on the back which was easily repaired by my tech. The crack isn't totally invisible but it looks good enough not to bother me; especially for the price. It was a new old stock guitar and I was able to get it for under $300 with a humi case included! Other than the crack, it is a like new guitar.

I am amazed at how great this guitar sounds. I have owned plenty of great guitars over the years; most of them better than I deserved. Financial pressures forced me to let them go at one time or another to my great sadness. I was afraid I was going to have to "settle" for a cheaper guitar. When the strings came up to tension on this Cordoba, it sounded great! It will never be a Hauser or a (fill in with whatever great guitar you can think of) but it is very satisfying to play. Much more projection than I expected and a nice warm but still crisp sound. I can happily play this for a long time. If I had any anti-mahogany bias in the past, it is gone. This is a much better sounding guitar than I expected.
Congratulations. Enjoy it. C9 is a great guitar. And especially yours..sounds like one of the best deals (I would have jumped on it immediately like you) I've ever heard on this.

Esteve 8 cedar
Alhambra 9P cedar

markj

Post by markj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 am

Welcome to the C9 owner's club!

I bought my C9 last year as an almost new instrument for $625.00 at a dealer in Madison, WI. I was told it was 4 months old. Purchased by a guy who wanted to try a nylon string, and decided he wanted to stay with steel strings.

I keep threatening to replace it. I'm not sure why, but I just like it too much to actually let it go. I have "Ramirez fever" I guess. I will be going to play a couple of new 2NE models and possibly a used 130 Años. All three have cedar tops, as does my C9. I will have to spend between $1,500 and $2,000 to get one one of those Ramirez models and I am not sure I want to go there at this time. Especially since I just ordered a 50th Anniversary Larrivee LV-10, steel string.

My C9 plays and sounds so nice! I can't really find any fault with it. It has a great tone and sustain even in the high register. It will definitely go with me when I try the Ramirez models so I can play them side by side. The main difference being that the Ramirez models have Rosewood back and sides vs the Mahogany of the C9. I currently have a Larrivee L-03 with Mahogany back and sides and just love it as well. The 50th Anniversary I am getting has Rosewood. Maybe I will just keep then all and have a variety. lol

I just put a new set of strings on the C9 last night. It always surprises me and I think it's telling me to not get rid of it. lol

These guitars have a way of speaking to us, don't they?
Last edited by markj on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:56 am

markj wrote:It always surprises me and I think it's telling me to not get rid of it. lol
Don't do it! I really miss my C9 and sometimes wish I didn't put myself in the situation to part ways with it. It has some things going for it that other guitars rarely have such as a thin c-shaped neck, adjustable truss rod, comfortable action set up, light weight (you'll notice rosewood guitars will be significantly heavier), durable yet thinly applied finish... That's on top of the great tone and volume. You'll notice Ramirez guitars have thicker d-shaped necks which I'm not very fond of, and no truss rod.

But yeah, be sure to take the guitar with you to compare side by side before pulling the trigger on something else.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

markj

Post by markj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:18 am

Sure is a pretty guitar. I love the rosette. The grain on the top is very tight too. I think for what ever I would get for it, I would just rather keep it even if I do get another classical.

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Well it looks like I am in great company. I am enjoying the heck out of my Cordoba for all the same reasons that have been mentioned. I hate to be one of those who say "my guitar is as good as any (whatever great guitar you can think of) I have ever played!" I won't go that far, but I will say it is extremely satisfying to play. Powerful bass and singing trebles. Much more complex than I would have guessed.

I love the light weight. With my increased girth in my older years, I find myself playing my guitars in flamenco position. I used to worry about using the "wrong" posture until I watched many videos of Scott Tennant using the same position. It seems to work for him. The weight of this guitar really lends itself to playing in this position. Very comfortable.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Under 300 with a pretty good little case...good deal. have fun.

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:01 pm

MessyTendon wrote:Under 300 with a pretty good little case...good deal. have fun.
Frankly, it would have been a great deal to me at twice the price. :D

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Excellent price for a great guitar - I recently paid 3 times that for a new C10 in spruce. I'd love to upgrade my old Yamaha (also spruce) for a cedar-top, but doubt I could find such a good deal.
Box, wooden, six strings each.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)
Yamaha CG-170S (mid-80s, owned since '88)

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Once I had the opportunity to play a Cordoba F10 flamenco. What a great guitar! Had a very powerful sound and great bass response. Almost bought it. The C9 is like a classical version of the flamenco. It even had the same unique rosette which I really love. More power and complexity than I would have ever expected from a "factory" guitar. I would really love to try the spruce version.

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:23 am

Got a call from a local music store. They had a Cordoba Solista (Cedar) that came in. Used but in excellent condition. He thought I might want to check it out. Took my C9 to compare. Nobody will probably believe this but I liked my cheap guitar better. I can honestly say that it is not sour grapes. they were ready to give me a great deal with my C9 as a trade in.

What I discovered that the Solista, while it had a nice complex tone with rich overtones, it felt almost like I was playing an electric guitar with a compressor set on full compress. The sound never wanted to come out of the guitar. My C9 had much better response and the tone just jumped out of the guitar. Not as rich in tone; more fundamental and better volume. I walked away happy with my original purchase and no poorer financially.

Now I admit, it might have been a setup issue and could have been tweaked to better specs, but I think my cheap Cedar/Mahogany guitar turned out to be much more satisfying. I have no idea why the results were like that. The Solista costs more than twice as much , but I am more pleased than ever with my C9.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”