Cordoba C9

nmshu1

Re: Cordoba C9

Post by nmshu1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:42 am

You see I have Vowinkel Concert with $11,000 but I still keep my two Córdoba C9s. They are excellent guitars although they are much, much cheaper than Vowinkel Concert...
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:13 am

This thread has probably made my local shop mark up a C9 by 30%!!!

:D
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:47 pm

nmshu1 wrote:You see I have Vowinkel Concert with $11,000 but I still keep my two Córdoba C9s. They are excellent guitars although they are much, much cheaper than Vowinkel Concert...
It is quite interesting how subjective pricing is in the classical guitar world. The C9 for example is less than a thousand dollars, but definitely doesn't sound even half as bad as a $6000 guitar.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:03 pm

I've never played a C9, but if it's that good, is a C10 even better?

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:36 pm

LBrandt wrote:I've never played a C9, but if it's that good, is a C10 even better?
No. I think C9 is better.
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:51 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
LBrandt wrote:I've never played a C9, but if it's that good, is a C10 even better?
Have you played both? I think that they are both built on the same design, and, according to the specs, the C9 has a mahogany back, while the C10 has an Indian rosewood back, so why wouldn't the C10 be at least as good?

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:54 pm

There isn't a whole lot of difference, and it probably boils down to the particular guitar. IRW vs Mahagony probably would yield some tonal differences, but one may not be superior to the other.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:18 pm

souldier wrote:
There isn't a whole lot of difference, and it probably boils down to the particular guitar. IRW vs Mahagony probably would yield some tonal differences, but one may not be superior to the other.
Yes, I fully understand and agree with that. I'm only questioning nmshu1's statement about the C9 being better.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:44 pm

LBrandt wrote:
nmshu1 wrote:
Have you played both? I think that they are both built on the same design, and, according to the specs, the C9 has a mahogany back, while the C10 has an Indian rosewood back, so why wouldn't the C10 be at least as good?
Yes, I played both! The specifications are the same but different with back and sides. So their sound characters are different. I prefer to Mahogny back and sides.
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:32 pm

I have to reiterate that Mahogany is a vastly under-rated material. I knew that was the case for steel strings but now I have a new appreciation for it on classical.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:58 pm

rsclosson wrote:I have to reiterate that Mahogany is a vastly under-rated material. I knew that was the case for steel strings but now I have a new appreciation for it on classical.
Yes,totally agree!
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:43 am

I used to have a C9. It was my first real classical. When I started two years ago on nylon string, I wasn't sure I would stick with it, so I got a Córdoba C5. That lasted a few months, then I got a Kremona Rosa Moreno, had it for 3 weeks and returned it and got the Córdoba C9. Kept it for 2 years and picked up 3 different Ramirez guitars during that time.

I wound up giving the C9 to my son for Christmas (he celebrates it I don't, but I always give him a holiday gift). My son is new to this, and I figured that C9 would get him all the way through intermediate level. So that should be all the guitar he needs. I bought it new for 600 dollars from my friend's music store. Spruce top.

It really is a guitar that punches well above its price point. I see that they are going for about $849 new now. His was new, it had just been hanging up in his store for a few years. It had been hanging up in his store since 2010, and I got it less than 2010's new price. It did have the fret ends sticking out, but they fixed that under warranty. If I come across a deal on one again I might have to get another one.

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:28 pm

My local store has the C9 and C10 hanging side by side on the wall, I played with them both and to be honest I wasn't impressed by them at all. For the money (at least in the UK) the Admira A20 or Teressa sounds as nice and they're cheaper as well. I didn't get any of them in the end, though, so my impression may not be accurate as I played with them for only an hour :oops:
Raimundo 148 Cedar
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

Bsandesh

Post by Bsandesh » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:12 pm

I am a beginner-intermediate level guitar player.I already have a Cordoba C7 Cutaway with electronics. I visited Guitar Center hoping to upgrade to a little better guitar made in Spain and $1000 budget. To be honest I had seen this C9 online at GC website, and I was not too keen on this since it was made in "China".I had no intention to buy this before stepping foot in GC. Was I surprised when I tried it out by chance at the store?.Wow...Its as light a guitar as it can be, that too solid body guitar.The action was exactly right and everything was set up perfectly right out of the box.Most classical guitars have their action very high but not this one. Important thing, the pictures on the websites is nothing compared to when you actually see it and play it. I was actually not impressed by the stock photos, but the actual guitar in real life is very beautiful, very smooth surface. You have to see it to believe it and I am not joking.Tonally too this is very balanced guitar and I love the sound.All this for about $850, its a great deal.It comes with a really nice semi-hard case as well with lot of great cushioning inside the case. So now I have a C7 and a C9 in my home, I might sell my old C7 at some point in time. Please give this C9 at least a try and do not look away because it has "made in China" label.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Cordoba C7 Cutaway

Norman2

Post by Norman2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi, It is just your perception of sound. I myself find the C9 the perfect guitar for me and I will never part with it. I have wanted to upgrade and tried
a Manuel Rodriguez Model D, Cordoba C10 cedar/IRW, Rodriguez R1 and have found my C9 is a better sounding guitar so I will keep on enjoyng my
C9. Regards
Norman2
Cordoba C9

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”