Is there such a guitar?

leafhound

Is there such a guitar?

Post by leafhound » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:33 pm

That can do it all
Play all the different genres and still pull it off.
sounds good playing Bach ext... as well as the spanish repertoire, ie all' classical music.

The lack of range in available tone colour make having at least two guitars plausable.
Last edited by leafhound on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Is there such a guitar?

Post by simonm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:37 pm

leafhound wrote:That can do it all
sounds good playing Bach ext... as well as the spanish repertoire, ie all' classical music.
Yes. Any guitar in the hands of a player who can play all these genres well. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:18 pm

I guess what Im looking for is a guitar with an impressive range of tone colour.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:19 pm

leafhound wrote:I guess what Im looking for is a guitar with an impressive range of tone colour.
There are plenty out there.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:28 pm

leafhound wrote:I guess what Im looking for is a guitar with an impressive range of tone colour.
Many well-made guitars have an impressive range of tone colour -- that's the joy of a fine guitar. What is your price range?

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Well looking for a guitar for me is very overwhelming, I've had the same guitar for the last thirteen years. looking at up to around £4k

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:57 pm

leafhound wrote:Well looking for a guitar for me is very overwhelming, I've had the same guitar for the last thirteen years. looking at up to around £4k
I've got a new Stephen Hill on order at that price, outstanding guitars, here's my old one playing Spanish and Baroque

https://youtu.be/i3sPyG7l6cA

https://youtu.be/SpefadhoIek

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Chat to someone like Miles over at Kent guitar classics. (There are few others around - Miles is just the first one that comes to my mind). Yes he would like to sell you a guitar but he (and the others) want really happy customers as they depend absolutely on goodwill. The market is small.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 pm

In a general sense (all else being held equal, e.g., bracing) a spruce top will be more sensitive to touch (if you have the necessary technique) and produce a wider range of tonal colour than a cedar top. Cedar tops tend to be warmer and richer. Note that other elements in a design can bring a cedar top closer to the spruce sound.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:48 pm

leafhound wrote:Well looking for a guitar for me is very overwhelming, I've had the same guitar for the last thirteen years. looking at up to around £4k
Oh, that's some serious money, and you really ought to be able to find a seriously great guitar for that (especially if you buy used, but even new), with all the tone colour you could possibly want! Definitely, think about doing what Simon suggested: if I were in England and had that much cash for a guitar, I'd be talking with Miles! Have you checked the Kent Guitar Classics website? He has so many great guitars, and wonderful descriptions of their sound as well as sound clips (and, I am sure he will happily provide more info, if you ask). At the very least, it may help narrow down your choices.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:49 pm

leafhound wrote:That can do it all

The lack of range in available tone colour make having at least two guitars plausable.
Of course there is. Almost any guitar decent enough can play the full range of repertoire.

Lot of the discussion on these forums is (imo) splitting hairs and at the end of the day just pedantic talk when we all can't really decipher any real differences in sound between a Spanish made guitar or Chinese made if both are playing any same Spanish genre or bach or anything by any decent practiced performer. Most of it is really just psychological.
However bc of our passion for it allows for all this discussion. But it is a bit hyperbole to say that there isn't a classical guitar that can perform any certain genre unless made with some certain bracing or tone wood, or etc.

Yamaha GL1

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:04 am

thx all

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:15 am

I'd second the recommendation to talk with Miles at Kent Guitars. Here is a delightful and informative video made with Antigoni Goni and Miles...it will certainly provide food for your quest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RFXDfsdc-A
1971 Yamaha GC-10

janepaints

Post by janepaints » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:35 am

Gary Macleod wrote: I've got a new Stephen Hill on order at that price, outstanding guitars, here's my old one playing Spanish and Baroque

omg, gorgeous, gorgeous--both videos, guitar AND performance....hats off to ya!

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:30 am

janepaints wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote: I've got a new Stephen Hill on order at that price, outstanding guitars, here's my old one playing Spanish and Baroque

omg, gorgeous, gorgeous--both videos, guitar AND performance....hats off to ya!
thanks, very kind of you.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”