Is there such a guitar?

zupfgeiger

Re: Is there such a guitar?

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:52 am

Miles definitely is a good recommendation. But apart from kentguitars, is there a general website in the UK for the second hand instrument market, like vioworld in Germany?
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:22 am

It's a very good question and the answer is always going to depend on your personal point of view of how you think the various periods of music should sound. I tend to associate the baroque with brighter sounding instruments, silvery or almost metallic. That's probably not that surprising given the tonality of lutes, baroque guitars and harpsichords. Even violins with their gut strings sound a little bright (but not hard or harsh). I wouldn't necessarily expect that type of sound when playing late 19 th century or early 20 th century music though. Tarrega for example probably suits something a little warmer. Of course you can play any type of music on a guitar, people do so all the time. It's not that different to the modern piano playing anything from 1500 to the present day. Mozart does make a bit more sense to me when played on a fortepiano though, I think it suits that lighter gallant approach. There was obviously a reason why Bream played a few different types of plucked instruments, including lute and vihuela/renaissance guitar. So in conclusion I do think certain instruments do suit different styles and there isn't one guitar that can do it all. For the vast majority of folk a modern classical guitar is perfectly adequate.
Last edited by Michael.N. on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Historicalguitars.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:36 pm

I think the real question is, is there such a player? A good player can play a variety of repertoire on just about any decent guitar whether inexpensive or expensive. That is not to say that the instrument makes no difference, but that the players ability is of far greater importance. Take for example Tavi Jinariu on YouTube playing a $300 Cordoba C5. In a blind test you'd probably never know he was playing such an inexpensive instrument. Sure it would probably sound significantly better on a $5000 guitar, but the point is the players ability is what makes a guitar more versatile.

With that said, I personally feel that guitars with clarity and brightness yet with an intimate and colourful tone that responds easily to tonal shaping are the most versatile for all sorts of repertoire.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:06 am

Gary Macleod wrote:
leafhound wrote:Well looking for a guitar for me is very overwhelming, I've had the same guitar for the last thirteen years. looking at up to around £4k
I've got a new Stephen Hill on order at that price, outstanding guitars, here's my old one playing Spanish and Baroque

https://youtu.be/i3sPyG7l6cA

https://youtu.be/SpefadhoIek
Love the guitar! And your playing. I learned a lot watching your video.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:11 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:
leafhound wrote:Well looking for a guitar for me is very overwhelming, I've had the same guitar for the last thirteen years. looking at up to around £4k
I've got a new Stephen Hill on order at that price, outstanding guitars, here's my old one playing Spanish and Baroque

Love the guitar! And your playing. I learned a lot watching your video.
Thanks

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:10 am

I play anything i like from classical, jazz, rock. So my ideal guitar tone would be a bit bright sound, not warm, not too bright like an acoustic guitar. I want a clear, fat sound, close to piano tone. With that ideal guitar of mine, it can fit any genre of music.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:57 am

Gary Macleod wrote:

You play awesome! Love the sounds!

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:27 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:

Thanks

Tavi Jinariu

Post by Tavi Jinariu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:57 pm

souldier wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:36 pm
Take for example Tavi Jinariu on YouTube playing a $300 Cordoba C5.
Guitar is just a piece of the equation in my opinion. My most valuable guitar is a $500 guitar made in China I bought at Guitar Center about 8 years ago. Most valuable in the sense that I used it for most of my off-the-concert stage work.
Life is too short to play music you don't really like!

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Tavi Jinariu wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:57 pm
souldier wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:36 pm
Take for example Tavi Jinariu on YouTube playing a $300 Cordoba C5.
Guitar is just a piece of the equation in my opinion. My most valuable guitar is a $500 guitar made in China I bought at Guitar Center about 8 years ago. Most valuable in the sense that I used it for most of my off-the-concert stage work.
That's interesting, Tavi. I would have thought that most guitarists on your level (few that there are!) would play their main concert guitars off-stage, just to keep in touch with the guitars' individual personalities, peculiarities and such. But I guess we all seek a change of pace. BTW, thanks so much for the constant pleasure your playing gives me and for the valuable thoughts you share here.
-Bob

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:44 pm

leafhound wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:47 pm
Well looking for a guitar for me is very overwhelming, I've had the same guitar for the last thirteen years. looking at up to around £4k
As you're in Leeds there are some excellent guitar builders not far away. A couple come to mind - our very own James Lister in Sheffield and Tony Johnson in Holmfirth. You could do a lot worse than look at their guitars :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Tavi Jinariu

Post by Tavi Jinariu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 pm

[/quote]

That's interesting, Tavi. I would have thought that most guitarists on your level (few that there are!) would play their main concert guitars off-stage, just to keep in touch with the guitars' individual personalities, peculiarities and such. But I guess we all seek a change of pace. BTW, thanks so much for the constant pleasure your playing gives me and for the valuable thoughts you share here.
-Bob
[/quote]

I appreciate the kind words Bob. In terms of work income the cheaper guitar has been much more helpful to me than any of my other instruments. When practicing, however, I do play the guitars that help me best express the music whether that be an inexpensive or a costly instrument. I had a great Takamine in the past that could rival guitars in the 20-30k range that I enjoyed playing. To me, price does not really matter when it comes to the quality of an instrument.
Life is too short to play music you don't really like!

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:58 am

Tavi Jinariu wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 pm
-Bob
[/quote]

I appreciate the kind words Bob. In terms of work income the cheaper guitar has been much more helpful to me than any of my other instruments. When practicing, however, I do play the guitars that help me best express the music whether that be an inexpensive or a costly instrument. I had a great Takamine in the past that could rival guitars in the 20-30k range that I enjoyed playing. To me, price does not really matter when it comes to the quality of an instrument.
[/quote]
Similar feeling, l like Córdoba C9! Although I have several expensive guitars...
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:27 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:

Thanks
Awesome playing on both videos!
Yet, forgive me if I think this guitar really sparkls playing Rodrigo, more so than when playing Bach.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)
1982 Yamaha G 255S (Spruce)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”