difference between rosewood or mahogany back and sides?

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: difference between rosewood or mahogany back and sides?

Postby simonm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:50 pm

joachim33 wrote: …. Below about 500€ they were mahagoni back above rosewood (they had the Alhambra and Salvador Cortez brand) . To me there was a noticeable improvement in sound with the more expensive models. The guy in the store said that the rosewood was a key ingredient here. ....

How about the key ingredient is more care in the building process in the more expensive ones? But the marketing guys find it easier to differentiate based on the visible colour difference? Most people, especially beginners, buy with their eyes not their ears.

nmshu1

Postby nmshu1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:15 am

I like guitars with Mahogany back and sides. I have two such kind of guitars...
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650 / Juan Hernandez Torres 640 / German V. Rubio Concert 635
Kenny Hill Performance 630 / Córdoba C9 650 / Sweet Tone 640

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:50 am

joachim33 wrote:I went into a shop in summer and bought a guitar. Below about 500€ they were mahagoni back above rosewood (they had the Alhambra and Salvador Cortez brand) . To me there was a noticeable improvement in sound with the more expensive models. The guy in the store said that the rosewood was a key ingredient here. I went with a rosewood guitar :D

Though if you have handled both and can't hear a difference, I am not sure what to recommend you.

From a purist point of view I would not buy a build in pick-up system. One can always use an external mic if the need arises.

When writing this, I wasn't aware of the endangered species regulation (CITES) changes that came into force in January this year. All rosewood is now on that list.

By buying a Rosewood free guitar one might save some hassle in future. But just because the sides and backs are Mahagoni, does that mean that instrument is not affected by CITES and will continue to do so? I don't know.

Asking documents when buying and keeping them well filed seems prudent to me at this point.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”