Classical Guitar Selection

mrm2007

Classical Guitar Selection

Postby mrm2007 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:56 am

Hello ,

I'm looking for a classical guitar to buy it as a gift (not for myself) . As i'm not an expert in any area of it and after
some google search i found your forums.

I previously searched our local market and with my limited budget , these models are my options (sorted by price from low to high) :

1) Stagg C442
2) Stagg C542
3) Yamaha C40 , C40M , C45
4) Stagg C546
5) Yamaha C70

(There are also some other brands, but it seems that Yamaha and Stagg are better).

I prefer to buy it locally because of 1) shipping costs & import tax 2) if she didn't like it or .. we can go and change it .

I asked around (locally) and it seems that Yamaha C40 (specially C40M) is very popular as a starter instruments, so currently i'm biased toward C40M.

So, what do you think?

George Crocket

Re: Classical Guitar Selection

Postby George Crocket » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 am

Hi mrm2007. Welcome to the forum. Your post has been moved to our section devoted to advice about buying and selling guitars. I am sure you will get some hints. Meantime, why don't you introduce yourself here and have a look around. There are lots of nce CG recordings here. :casque:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:33 am

1st forum rule: buy used! :)

But that is out, since it is a gift...what are the other brands?

The Yamaha should be better but you may want to pay a little more (or consider other brands) in order to get a solid top.
Last edited by guitarseller345645 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

dilettante1000

Postby dilettante1000 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Buy a Yamaha, if these are your only choices. They make good value budget guitar which work.

andreas777

Postby andreas777 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm curious, are there any online auction sites or other good advertisement sites in Iran where you could buy a used guitar?
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Debussychopin

Postby Debussychopin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 pm

I wouldn't buy used , sorry but that is not any sort of rule of thumb (maybe absolutely for him ) ,
let alone if you're not experienced in choosing a guitar and especially if you're buying for as a gift.
You can't go wrong with a brand new student yamaha guitar not a stagg

Esteve 8 cedar
Alhambra 9P cedar

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Debussychopin wrote:I wouldn't buy used , sorry but that is not any sort of rule of thumb (maybe absolutely for him ) ,
let alone if you're not experienced in choosing a guitar and especially if you're buying for as a gift.
You can't go wrong with a brand new student yamaha guitar not a stagg

+1!
Kremona Fiesta FC

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:52 pm

guitarseller345645 wrote:1st forum rule: buy used! :)

The Yamaha should be better but you may want to pay a little more (or consider other brands) in order to get a solid top.

guitarseller345645 wrote:I go for new guitars too - because CG for me is a hobby/passion. Since I go for factory instruments, that poses no problems.

I have absolutely no problems with used TVs, cars, PCs etc etc - all in the name of environmentalism.

Yes I know that the guitar I just took off the shelf may have been returned but just cannot get past myself :)

Haha...just in case the OP misunderstands another one of my failed jokes (some here are rather tense shall we say)...since you are new, buy new, pun intended.

I never buy used (2nd para)...just that almost everyone will recommend buying used in this Advice Section.

Buy a new Yamaha if you have only Stagg and Yamaha. Or get someone to play them first...

PS It is difficult to be a PCW and a self-appointed behavioural sheriff of the forum - at the same time :mrgreen:
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

mrm2007

Postby mrm2007 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:31 am

Hello again,

Thank you everyone for your answers.

guitarseller345645 wrote:1st forum rule: buy used! :)

Actually , there are some local brands and some chinese brands like "Bestfun" or..., not internationally recognized like Yamaha or Stagg.

They are other international brands (or better yamaha models), but way out of my current budget.

andreas777 wrote:I'm curious, are there any online auction sites or other good advertisement sites in Iran where you could buy a used guitar?

If you think a site like "e - b a y" , no there isn't , but we have some site which you can put your goods for sale (new or used) , something like Craigslist and finalize a deal in person.

Also there are some specialized online site which originally sell new music instruments and have an ability for the users to sell the used ones via their interface.

for 2 reasons i prefer to not go after a used one

1) Usually the used ones are modified (better strings).I'm not an expert ,so i can't check and verify if the claim is correct or not or if there is any other defect or not.

2) It's a gift , so i really prefer to buy a new one and if she doesn't like it , we can change it easily

So , It seems that i should go with Yamaha, but which model :
C40 , C40M , C45 or C70 ?

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:34 am

Well, all of them are total laminates - that is the most important part. Which means that anyone will do, in principle.

For any increase in price, the difference will be in manufacturing care and embellishments. If you pay more, you will get laminated mahogany. If you pay even more, you get gold coloured machine heads. And playability may improve slightly.

Another rule of this forum: buy the best you can afford :) Please don't troll me...:)

PS The 40M is matte, right? Besides costing less, I prefer matte/satin finish as I live in a hot place and perspire a lot. Matte feels better for me. My Hofner is matte :)
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

mrm2007

Postby mrm2007 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 am

guitarseller345645 wrote:
PS The 40M is matte, right? Besides costing less, I prefer matte/satin finish as I live in a hot place and perspire a lot. Matte feels better for me. My Hofner is matte :)

Hi,

Yes , C40M is matte , but actually C40,C40M,C45 having same price here, so the price don't apply.

BTW, where i live , we have 40C..45C ambient temperature in summer with low humidity. Does it matter for selecting the guitar? for example between C40 & C40M?

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 am

mrm2007 wrote:
guitarseller345645 wrote:

Hi,

Yes , C40M is matte , but actually C40,C40M,C45 having same price here, so the price don't apply.

BTW, where i live , we have 40C..45C ambient temperature in summer with low humidity. Does it matter for selecting the guitar? for example between C40 & C40M?

Matte or gloss is a matter of personal preference for the finish and does not affect the behaviour of the wood much. Low humidity is a problem but since the wood is laminate, it is much stronger. You may still want to put a wet sponge in the "case" though.
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

andreas777

Postby andreas777 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:27 pm

mrm2007 wrote:
andreas777 wrote:I'm curious, are there any online auction sites or other good advertisement sites in Iran where you could buy a used guitar?

If you think a site like "e - b a y" , no there isn't , but we have some site which you can put your goods for sale (new or used) , something like Craigslist and finalize a deal in person.

Also there are some specialized online site which originally sell new music instruments and have an ability for the users to sell the used ones via their interface.

for 2 reasons i prefer to not go after a used one

1) Usually the used ones are modified (better strings).I'm not an expert ,so i can't check and verify if the claim is correct or not or if there is any other defect or not.

2) It's a gift , so i really prefer to buy a new one and if she doesn't like it , we can change it easily

So , It seems that i should go with Yamaha, but which model :
C40 , C40M , C45 or C70 ?

Thanks for the info. It was not my intention to say you should buy a used guitar, I only wanted to say that this might be an option, and I was curious about online sites in Iran. Last year I almost booked a trip to Iran but finally switched to Indonesia. But I plan to visit Iran in the next 24 months, so I can bring a guitar if someone is interested.
In my opinion someone who has a good knowledge of guitars should look for used guitars because he will gets much better guitars for the same price. For someone who has no knowledge and no experience the risk is quite high that a used guitar has deficiencies, especially guitars offered online without the chance to inspect them locally.
Are you sure that the person needs a full-size guitar? And is the person a beginner, and will she learn to play guitar on her own? If you are not sure about this, then you might give her a good guitar book together with a coupon for a guitar.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:29 pm

Who are you buying the guitar for? A beginner? How old? Any musical experience at all?
The only reason I ask these questions is because it may make a difference on the size of the guitar. And, if indeed your only two choices are Yamaha and Stagg. Pick a Yamaha. If I were picking for someone else I would pick one with a gloss finish because where you contact the guitar on a matte finish, it's just going to get buffed up to gloss by playing it in those areas.

mrm2007

Postby mrm2007 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:46 pm

andreas777 wrote:Thanks for the info. It was not my intention to say you should buy a used guitar, I only wanted to say that this might be an option, and I was curious about online sites in Iran. Last year I almost booked a trip to Iran but finally switched to Indonesia. But I plan to visit Iran in the next 24 months, so I can bring a guitar if someone is interested.
In my opinion someone who has a good knowledge of guitars should look for used guitars because he will gets much better guitars for the same price. For someone who has no knowledge and no experience the risk is quite high that a used guitar has deficiencies, especially guitars offered online without the chance to inspect them locally.
Are you sure that the person needs a full-size guitar? And is the person a beginner, and will she learn to play guitar on her own? If you are not sure about this, then you might give her a good guitar book together with a coupon for a guitar.

Hello,

Actually she is a beginner and i don't think she wants to learn it on her own. She'll have a teacher for learning.

March 21st will be new Persian Year, and this guitar will be her new year's gift. If she doesn't like it (which i doubt it) we can easily goto the store and return it or exchange it.

BTW,If you decide to finally come to iran, please inform me , I will be very happy if there is anything i can do

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Who are you buying the guitar for? A beginner? How old? Any musical experience at all?
The only reason I ask these questions is because it may make a difference on the size of the guitar. And, if indeed your only two choices are Yamaha and Stagg. Pick a Yamaha. If I were picking for someone else I would pick one with a gloss finish because where you contact the guitar on a matte finish, it's just going to get buffed up to gloss by playing it in those areas.

She is 33 years old. She is a beginner (i'm almost sure she will have a teacher for learning). She had a little music experience around 18 years ago with keyboard.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”