Classical Guitar Selection

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm
Location: Springfield Oregon

Re: Classical Guitar Sel

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 pm

mrm2007 wrote:
andreas777 wrote:Thanks for the info. It was not my intention to say you should buy a used guitar, I only wanted to say that this might be an option, and I was curious about online sites in Iran. Last year I almost booked a trip to Iran but finally switched to Indonesia. But I plan to visit Iran in the next 24 months, so I can bring a guitar if someone is interested.
In my opinion someone who has a good knowledge of guitars should look for used guitars because he will gets much better guitars for the same price. For someone who has no knowledge and no experience the risk is quite high that a used guitar has deficiencies, especially guitars offered online without the chance to inspect them locally.
Are you sure that the person needs a full-size guitar? And is the person a beginner, and will she learn to play guitar on her own? If you are not sure about this, then you might give her a good guitar book together with a coupon for a guitar.


Hello,

Actually she is a beginner and i don't think she wants to learn it on her own. She'll have a teacher for learning.

March 21st will be new Persian Year, and this guitar will be her new year's gift. If she doesn't like it (which i doubt it) we can easily goto the store and return it or exchange it.

BTW,If you decide to finally come to iran, please inform me , I will be very happy if there is anything i can do

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Who are you buying the guitar for? A beginner? How old? Any musical experience at all?
The only reason I ask these questions is because it may make a difference on the size of the guitar. And, if indeed your only two choices are Yamaha and Stagg. Pick a Yamaha. If I were picking for someone else I would pick one with a gloss finish because where you contact the guitar on a matte finish, it's just going to get buffed up to gloss by playing it in those areas.


She is 33 years old. She is a beginner (i'm almost sure she will have a teacher for learning). She had a little music experience around 18 years ago with keyboard.


Seeing as she is an adult, and I don't know how big or small her hands are, I would say definitely don't do like I did and buy her a 3/4 size like I did for my 30 year old daughter. It turns out that even though her hands are quite a bit smaller than mine, and she felt more comfortable on the 3/4 size instrument, that only lasted a couple of months. Though she liked the shorter scale, she didn't like the narrower nut. She is better able to play with proper hand position on a 52mm nut. So I wound up giving her one of my full-size guitars and she is really taking off now.

As far as new or used, I would say go with new, especially if there is a chance that it might have to be exchanged. Yamaha has been making great guitars, decent at all price points,for a long time. Try at least to get one with a solid top, as it will sound better. There are all sorts of inexpensive options for humidifiers if you need them.

mrm2007
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:22 am
Location: Iran

Re: Classical Guitar Selection

Postby mrm2007 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:36 am

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestion.

I'll search more and see if i can get a better option (as you suggested with a solid top)

Joe de V
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:34 am
Location: Northern California USA

Re: Classical Guitar Selection

Postby Joe de V » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:37 pm

In my opinion choosing a CG for someone else is similar to buying a pair of shoes for another person. "Not One Size Fits All".
As a gift for a friend-if he/she is already a CG player - I would need to know their preference for the scale length of the instrument they play as well as their wood top preference material, Cedar or Spruce. Knowing those factor would make your gift much more suitable and well appreciated.
For a beginner then you have to suggest taking this person to a guitar store that sells Classical Guitars (Nylon Strings Only) and let the person sample as many that are available for play-ability comfort and size. Once you know those very important facts I am sure that whatever instrument you buy will be much greatly appreciated And Used. (If you ever had to "exchange" a gift you understand what I am talking about). Once you know these facts you can choose whatever appears more suitable withing your budget and it will make a nice gift that will last many years. The big names in CG (volume- sales-wise... Not luthier-made instruments...are Cordoba, Manuel Rodriguez, LaPatrie,Yamaha. There are other less-advertised labels but probably as good when comparing price level.
P.S.I would appreciate having friends like You.Good Luck

mrm2007
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:22 am
Location: Iran

Re: Classical Guitar Selection

Postby mrm2007 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:55 am

Joe de V wrote:In my opinion choosing a CG for someone else is similar to buying a pair of shoes for another person. "Not One Size Fits All".
As a gift for a friend-if he/she is already a CG player - I would need to know their preference for the scale length of the instrument they play as well as their wood top preference material, Cedar or Spruce. Knowing those factor would make your gift much more suitable and well appreciated.
For a beginner then you have to suggest taking this person to a guitar store that sells Classical Guitars (Nylon Strings Only) and let the person sample as many that are available for play-ability comfort and size. Once you know those very important facts I am sure that whatever instrument you buy will be much greatly appreciated And Used. (If you ever had to "exchange" a gift you understand what I am talking about). Once you know these facts you can choose whatever appears more suitable withing your budget and it will make a nice gift that will last many years. The big names in CG (volume- sales-wise... Not luthier-made instruments...are Cordoba, Manuel Rodriguez, LaPatrie,Yamaha. There are other less-advertised labels but probably as good when comparing price level.
P.S.I would appreciate having friends like You.Good Luck


Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I understand what you mean. Currently i'm trying to educate myself about classical guitars and learn more about them.

Around 2 weeks from now (because of new persian year holidays),I have to decide what to do and i may end up go shopping with her (i really like to surprise her , but if this way helps her learning and enjoying more, so be it)

I'm learning more and more about guitars every day and hopefully i decide correctly.

P.S.I'll be very happy having friends like you.

Thank you again everyone for your help.

User avatar
Debussychopin
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Classical Guitar Selection

Postby Debussychopin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:59 am

Get a ukulele. Girls like em

Esteve 8 cedar
Alhambra 9P cedar

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Classical Guitar Selection

Postby Beowulf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:28 pm

mrm2007 wrote: Around 2 weeks from now (because of new persian year holidays),I have to decide what to do and i may end up go shopping with her (i really like to surprise her , but if this way helps her learning and enjoying more, so be it)


If you take her out for lunch and then spring a "surprise" visit to a guitar store...I think that will realize your desire. :mrgreen:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Norman2
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:01 pm

Re: Classical Guitar Selection

Postby Norman2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi, I would not buy a Stagg or a Yamaha for her learning experience. Take a look or do a google on the Cordoba Dolce. This would be a better guitar
and much better than a Stagg or Yamaha at that price range. You will not be disappointed > Regards
Norman2
Almansa 457

Joe de V
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:34 am
Location: Northern California USA

Re: Classical Guitar Selection

Postby Joe de V » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:24 pm

mrm2007 wrote:
Joe de V wrote:In my opinion choosing a CG for someone else is similar to buying a pair of shoes for another person. "Not One Size Fits All".
As a gift for a friend-if he/she is already a CG player - I would need to know their preference for the scale length of the instrument they play as well as their wood top preference material, Cedar or Spruce. Knowing those factor would make your gift much more suitable and well appreciated.
For a beginner then you have to suggest taking this person to a guitar store that sells Classical Guitars (Nylon Strings Only) and let the person sample as many that are available for play-ability comfort and size. Once you know those very important facts I am sure that whatever instrument you buy will be much greatly appreciated And Used. (If you ever had to "exchange" a gift you understand what I am talking about). Once you know these facts you can choose whatever appears more suitable withing your budget and it will make a nice gift that will last many years. The big names in CG (volume- sales-wise... Not luthier-made instruments...are Cordoba, Manuel Rodriguez, LaPatrie,Yamaha. There are other less-advertised labels but probably as good when comparing price level.
P.S.I would appreciate having friends like You.Good Luck


Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I understand what you mean. Currently i'm trying to educate myself about classical guitars and learn more about them.

Around 2 weeks from now (because of new persian year holidays),I have to decide what to do and i may end up go shopping with her (i really like to surprise her , but if this way helps her learning and enjoying more, so be it)

I'm learning more and more about guitars every day and hopefully i decide correctly.

P.S.I'll be very happy having friends like you.

Thank you again everyone for your help.

Hello Again: Here I am offering more "food for thoughts"... If you have the opportunity to go shopping with her- which will be the best way to select the right scale length "fit" for her-
Note: the scale length in a guitar is the distance of the strings from the Nut (neck) to the top of the saddle - the white plastic or bone piece inserted into the bridge of the instrument. A standard size CG is builgt with a scale length of 650mm or approx. 25.1/2 inches.Anything shorter is identified as a short-scale and of course any longer is a long-scale guitar.
The main difference between these figures is the proximity of the frets on the fret-board to each other.Players with small hands/or short fingers could benefit from a short-scale guitar since it will make it much easier and comfortable to play all over the fret-board.

Do not confuse the advertised size of the guitar like 7/8,3/4,/1/2 etc. with the scale length. Each maker have their own idea of what should be the scale length on their own guitars. I have seen CG like the Yamaha 7/8 guitar with a shorter scale length than quite a few other makes that advertise as a 3/4 size guitar. You must measure the scale or add a specific question of the seller.

If you are going to Indonesia they are now one country that is building CG's for world-wide labels. I have found these Indonisian-made CG products for the Fender CG models quite good when compared to other more well known CG makers in the same price range.

Someone here mentioned the Ukulele - the Baritone size Ukulele is the one tuned exactly like the CG but with only 4 strings.E-B-G-D like the first 4 strings of a standard guitar. I know of some music school for young children that uses the Baritone Ukulele as an introduction to learning chords and playing the standard guitar. I myself play the Baritone Ukulele when I wish to sing-along.
A good solid top Baritone Ukulele will cost you no more that an average entry-level CG with a laminated top. Hope that these ideas help you a little bit to decide what will be the best gift for your friend. Enjoy

mrm2007
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:22 am
Location: Iran

Re: Classical Guitar Selection

Postby mrm2007 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Hello again,

First , Thank you everyone for your help.

Debussychopin wrote:Get a ukulele. Girls like em


Unfortunately it seems ukulele guitars are not popular here. After a search i found one model only!!

Norman2 wrote:Hi, I would not buy a Stagg or a Yamaha for her learning experience. Take a look or do a google on the Cordoba Dolce. This would be a better guitar
and much better than a Stagg or Yamaha at that price range. You will not be disappointed > Regards
Norman2


Unfortunately this brand is not available here. Currently i can find these brands in iran :

Yamaha, Stagg, Alhambra have some sort of Representative office in iran and available everywhere.

Fender, Almansa ,Antonio sanchez , Ibanez,Esteve , Perez and a few other have limited availability (a few select models).

I can order it online ,but adding the possibility of testing a guitar in shop and/or exchanging it (plus adding the shipping cost and import tax) , i think buying it in a local shop is a smart choice at this point.

Joe de V wrote:Hello Again: Here I am offering more "food for thoughts"... If you have the opportunity to go shopping with her- which will be the best way to select the right scale length "fit" for her-
Note: the scale length in a guitar is the distance of the strings from the Nut (neck) to the top of the saddle - the white plastic or bone piece inserted into the bridge of the instrument. A standard size CG is builgt with a scale length of 650mm or approx. 25.1/2 inches.Anything shorter is identified as a short-scale and of course any longer is a long-scale guitar.
The main difference between these figures is the proximity of the frets on the fret-board to each other.Players with small hands/or short fingers could benefit from a short-scale guitar since it will make it much easier and comfortable to play all over the fret-board.

Do not confuse the advertised size of the guitar like 7/8,3/4,/1/2 etc. with the scale length. Each maker have their own idea of what should be the scale length on their own guitars. I have seen CG like the Yamaha 7/8 guitar with a shorter scale length than quite a few other makes that advertise as a 3/4 size guitar. You must measure the scale or add a specific question of the seller.

If you are going to Indonesia they are now one country that is building CG's for world-wide labels. I have found these Indonisian-made CG products for the Fender CG models quite good when compared to other more well known CG makers in the same price range.

Someone here mentioned the Ukulele - the Baritone size Ukulele is the one tuned exactly like the CG but with only 4 strings.E-B-G-D like the first 4 strings of a standard guitar. I know of some music school for young children that uses the Baritone Ukulele as an introduction to learning chords and playing the standard guitar. I myself play the Baritone Ukulele when I wish to sing-along.
A good solid top Baritone Ukulele will cost you no more that an average entry-level CG with a laminated top. Hope that these ideas help you a little bit to decide what will be the best gift for your friend. Enjoy


WOW! Thank you very much. It was very educational.

I have to read a lot and see what happens.


Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Dustin McKinney, guitarseller345645, joachim33 and 3 guests