New or Used?

DanManGuitar

New or Used?

Postby DanManGuitar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:47 pm

So we've saved up enough money to buy a guitar around the $2000 price range. I have been using my teacher's backup guitar for a while. It is a German Vazquez Rubio Estudio (cedar top), and is about 15 years old, but still sounds great. We have been thinking about buying it off my teacher to save some money, instead of buying a new one. It's pretty beat up and it's really old, but it's still in good playing condition. Personally, I don't really think we should do this, and I don't even think my teacher will be willing to sell it to us, but what do you think?

guitarseller345645

Re: New or Used?

Postby guitarseller345645 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:07 pm

guitarseller345645 wrote:I go for new guitars too - because CG for me is a hobby/passion. Since I go for factory instruments, that poses no problems.

I have absolutely no problems with used TVs, cars, PCs etc etc - all in the name of environmentalism.

Yes I know that the guitar I just took off the shelf may have been returned but just cannot get past myself :)

For the record, I never bought used as I said so above. But if it is a more expensive instrument, AND if it comes from your teacher, you could consider it.

But since both you and your teacher are not ready for this transaction???
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:10 pm

NO! Bad deal: a 15-year-old "pretty beat up" GVR Estudio for $2000? Forget it: you can buy a brand new one for $2450!

There is nothing wrong with buying a used guitar, in theory, but only if you are getting good value for your money, and your suggestion would not be in that category. If you really like that guitar, save up a bit more and buy a new one, or find a much better used instrument for the $2000.

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:NO! Bad deal: a 15-year-old "pretty beat up" GVR Estudio for $2000? Forget it: you can buy a brand new one for $2450!

There is nothing wrong with buying a used guitar, in theory, but only if you are getting good value for your money, and your suggestion would not be in that category. If you really like that guitar, save up a bit more and buy a new one, or find a much better used instrument for the $2000.

Unless maybe if his teacher will give it to him for $300...hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:21 pm

I can't comment about the guitar you are looking at but there is nothing at all wrong in buying a used guitar and many advantages (e.g. price, played in, etc). As far as 15 years old is concerned, my 49 year old Hermanos Conde knocks the socks off both my Stephen Frith and my Anna Maria Espinosa - but you need to check the action, the neck angle, etc on older instruments.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

bear

Postby bear » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 pm

used
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

DanManGuitar

Postby DanManGuitar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 pm

guitarseller345645 wrote:
Lovemyguitar wrote:NO! Bad deal: a 15-year-old "pretty beat up" GVR Estudio for $2000? Forget it: you can buy a brand new one for $2450!

Unless maybe if his teacher will give it to him for $300...hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ehhhhhhh

Bill

Postby Bill » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Used!

mmapag

Postby mmapag » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Used = Best Value for Dollar Spent
If you are an advanced player and you really know exactly what you want in a guitar and want one built to your specs, spend the next year or 2 saving up $2000 or so more and interviewing luthiers to find the one who will build it.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:56 am

At the risk of repetition:
simonm wrote:
DanManGuitar wrote:... Classical Guitar Store in Philly to try a few guitars. …..

These guys have a good reputation. Tell them your budget, what your tastes are in terms of music. Let them select a bunch for you to try. Never mind brand names. If they have some used guitars in your range so much the better.

Have you and the family visited there recently? I have yet to hear anything bad about this store.

souldier

Postby souldier » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Definitely used. You have already been playing that one so you know exactly what the sound and playability is. No guess work, no surprises, no disappointments, especially because the guitar is well broken in. Older guitars tend to sound better as well. As long as there is no structural issues and just the common playing wear, then you have no problem.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Salvador

Postby Salvador » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:59 pm

If the playability is good, tone is good, the fretboard and bridge is good, no major cracks etc.. I will buy it used. What i'm worried about if the guitar is haunted, because that might be one of the reason why they're selling it hehe just kidding.

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 pm

15 years is nothing for a good guitar, and certainly not "really old".

Search YouTube for "Andrew York 1888 Torres" and you'll see what I mean.

Generally I buy used or - if it's something I really want - I commission direct from the luthier. New via a shop is usually the most expensive option, but you get the guitar today. Used is pretty much always the best bang for the buck.

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:31 pm

If you are on a limited budget It is hard - but not impossible - to find a top quality student New guitar for under $500. If your budget is now near $2000. then I would seriously consider finding a Used luthier-quality instrument that are often available in the market place.
You now have played and have a "feeling" for your tutor's Used guitar. You mention as being "pretty beat up and is really old" . Well 15 yrs is not "old" for a top quality-made CG. As for being "pretty beat up" that could be a matter of personal opinion and if you really find it to be a good instrument you can negotiate a price with your teacher. For what is worth I would rather have a well kept "old" luthier-quality Used CG than a new factory-quality CG in your price range.
There are other Used Luthier quality CG in the market place if you search for them. Good Luck
Last edited by Joe de V on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:14 pm

A good quality used guitar is certainly the best way to get value for your money provided you are a good judge of its structural (rather than cosmetic) condition or can take along someone who is.

As Joe says, 15 years old is not old for a quality guitar. My 2001 Rohan Lowe is a spring chicken compared to my 42 year old Fender and both still play very well.

Perhaps your guitar teacher will consider selling you the GVR Estudio at a lower price ($1,300 plus or minus might be the ballpark?) but if not then maybe your teacher would go with you to help select a guitar that suits you. You will know whether the guitar suits you for playability and sound and your teacher might help re condition and comment on how it sounds and projects to the listener (which you can experience too if it is played to you.)

You play and write and reason very well for someone aged 11. Good luck finding your guitar. Do let us know what you get.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”