New or Used?

Lovemyguitar

Re: New or Used?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:57 pm

DanMan, you're only 11? No wonder you think 15 is really old! Please get the best guitar you can afford, definitely get your teacher's help and advice on choosing one if he/she is someone you trust, only get a guitar that you really want (you're the one who will be playing it!), and keep on practicing! Cheers!

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Salvador wrote:If the playability is good, tone is good, the fretboard and bridge is good, no major cracks etc.. I will buy it used. What i'm worried about if the guitar is haunted, because that might be one of the reason why they're selling it hehe just kidding.
true. I'll look into that.

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:DanMan, you're only 11? No wonder you think 15 is really old! Please get the best guitar you can afford, definitely get your teacher's help and advice on choosing one if he/she is someone you trust, only get a guitar that you really want (you're the one who will be playing it!), and keep on practicing! Cheers!

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:05 pm

Joe de V wrote:If you are on a limited budget It is hard - but not impossible - to find a top quality student New guitar for under $500. If your budget is now near $2000. then I would seriously consider finding a Used luthier-quality instrument that are often available in the market place.
You now have played and have a "feeling" for your tutor's Used guitar. You mention as being "pretty beat up and is really old" . Well 15 yrs is not "old" for a top quality-made CG. As for being "pretty beat up" that could be a matter of personal opinion and if you really find it to be a good instrument you can negotiate a price with your teacher. For what is worth I would rather have a well kept "old" luthier-quality Used CG than a new
factory-quality CG in your price range. There are other Used Luthier quality CG in the market place if you search for them. Good Luck
After browsing the Classical Guitar Store in Philly's website, I've found a few luthier-made guitars in the $2000 price range. What do you think? Some people think that anything around that and under is either just used and/or factory.

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:06 pm

simonm wrote:At the risk of repetition:
simonm wrote:
DanManGuitar wrote:... Classical Guitar Store in Philly to try a few guitars. …..
These guys have a good reputation. Tell them your budget, what your tastes are in terms of music. Let them select a bunch for you to try. Never mind brand names. If they have some used guitars in your range so much the better.
Have you and the family visited there recently? I have yet to hear anything bad about this store.
Great place.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 pm

DanManGuitar wrote:
Joe de V wrote:If you are on a limited budget It is hard - but not impossible - to find a top quality student New guitar for under $500. If your budget is now near $2000. then I would seriously consider finding a Used luthier-quality instrument that are often available in the market place.
You now have played and have a "feeling" for your tutor's Used guitar. You mention as being "pretty beat up and is really old" . Well 15 yrs is not "old" for a top quality-made CG. As for being "pretty beat up" that could be a matter of personal opinion and if you really find it to be a good instrument you can negotiate a price with your teacher. For what is worth I would rather have a well kept "old" luthier-quality Used CG than a new
factory-quality CG in your price range. There are other Used Luthier quality CG in the market place if you search for them. Good Luck
After browsing the Classical Guitar Store in Philly's website, I've found a few luthier-made guitars in the $2000 price range. What do you think? Some people think that anything around that and under is either just used and/or factory.
Hello Dan: If there is a Classical Guitar Store in your locality - not just a general music store that happens to have a very small stock of CG -
it will be worth visiting it and try a few Used CG that are listed within your budget. As already mentioned by some of us here, a quality-made CG even if it a Used one most likely will serve your need better than a factory-made instrument.
There is nothing wrong with a factory made CG if the makers have a reputation for consistency in the quality of similar models - some of them do not meet that criteria - My favorite label that consistently produces quality mid-level CG is the Manuel Rodriguez CG line.
In my limited experience with other well recognized non-luthier CG makers like Yamaha,Cordoba, and LaPatrie,( I have bought and played more than one CG model from these makers in the last 13+ years ), I consider the Manuel Rodriguez line as the more consistent in quality control.
One proviso in my statement is that I have never paid over $1,000. for any of my guitars - new or Used - therefore I cannot make a judgment over the products of the manufacturers selling above the 1K that I have mentioned in here.
As for your question about the $2000. market for luthier-made CG I think it is a fair statement that if you find one in that bracket very likely is Used - I would buy it IF I have played and "fits" comfortable along with the sound projection.
I understand that you are a young student-age 11- Remember that the scale length must be taken into consideration and I suspect that there are very few - if any - Luthier-made guitars in the Used market with a scale shorter than the standard 650mm. In such a case you should seriously consider what is available in the new CG market made by the non-luthier makers that offer short scale instruments.
I would save some of your $2K bankroll and later as your skill improve you can move-up to a better overall quality instrument. I have to confess here that I would not pay $2K for any CG unless is a Used one that "fits" my expectations and made by a Luthier .Good Luck

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Just an additional thought. Most of us are only familiar with one guitar (the one we play) and so are not that accustomed to assessing the strengths and weaknesses instruments. So it might be very helpful to see if your teacher or someone similar would help in assessing instruments.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Buying used is always the best way to go as far as getting the most value for your money.
Now as far as buying your teacher's guitar it really depends on price. A new GVR estudio
costs around $2000. Your teacher's guitar is in poor condition cosmetically which reduces
the market price significantly. Also you will have a very hard time trying to sell the guitar
later on. It is probably worth only a few hundred dollars at best. There are so many used
classical guitars on the market to choose from so take your time and spend your money
wisely. good luck!

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Number 6 wrote:Buying used is always the best way to go as far as getting the most value for your money.
Now as far as buying your teacher's guitar it really depends on price. A new GVR estudio
costs around $2000. Your teacher's guitar is in poor condition cosmetically which reduces
the market price significantly. Also you will have a very hard time trying to sell the guitar
later on. It is probably worth only a few hundred dollars at best. There are so many used
classical guitars on the market to choose from so take your time and spend your money
wisely. good luck!
Hi @Number 6. I confess to not being well up on the market for this particular guitar and there are not many references on the web to it, especially for guitars of this age. However there are a couple of 2016 and 2017 builds with asking prices at dealers of $2,450 and $2,650 though one scruffy one from 1999 was unsold on the bay at $899.

Many guitars of this vintage in good condition seem advertised by private individuals at around half of their 2017 prices, a fair bit higher by dealers and somewhat lower if in poor condition or just not selling. I would not want Dan to risk his tutor feeling insulted by too low an offer so, with this indeed seeming a buyers' market currently and so accepting that you might be absolutely right, I just wanted to double check on your suggestion of its value. What think you?

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:... I confess to not being well up on the market for this particular guitar [GVR Estudio] and there are not many references on the web to it... However there are a couple of 2016 and 2017 builds with asking prices at dealers of $2,450 and $2,650...
Hi Pat: German Vasquez Rubio's own website lists his Estudio model (brand new) at $2450 (which I did mention to Dan earlier in this thread). I think one sees so few used GVR's on the market because those of us who own them want to keep them! :wink:

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Pat Dodson wrote:... I confess to not being well up on the market for this particular guitar [GVR Estudio] and there are not many references on the web to it... However there are a couple of 2016 and 2017 builds with asking prices at dealers of $2,450 and $2,650...
Hi Pat: German Vasquez Rubio's own website lists his Estudio model (brand new) at $2450 (which I did mention to Dan earlier in this thread). I think one sees so few used GVR's on the market because those of us who own them want to keep them! :wink:
Indeed! Sent pm

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:02 pm

Pat Dodson wrote: Hi @Number 6. I confess to not being well up on the market for this particular guitar and there are not many references on the web to it, especially for guitars of this age. However there are a couple of 2016 and 2017 builds with asking prices at dealers of $2,450 and $2,650 though one scruffy one from 1999 was unsold on the bay at $899.

Many guitars of this vintage in good condition seem advertised by private individuals at around half of their 2017 prices, a fair bit higher by dealers and somewhat lower if in poor condition or just not selling. I would not want Dan to risk his tutor feeling insulted by too low an offer so, with this indeed seeming a buyers' market currently and so accepting that you might be absolutely right, I just wanted to double check on your suggestion of its value. What think you?
There you go, one 1999 in scruffy listed for $899 and was unsold. It is difficult to sell guitars that are in poor cosmetic condition. Just ask any dealer.
I agree and would not recommend for Dan to give a low offer to his teacher. He is 11 years old! His parents should being doing any type of negotiations. For $2000 he can get a nice used guitar in good condition. Just be patient.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:44 pm

DanManGuitar wrote:So we've saved up enough money to buy a guitar around the $2000 price range. I have been using my teacher's backup guitar for a while. It is a German Vazquez Rubio Estudio (cedar top), and is about 15 years old, but still sounds great. We have been thinking about buying it off my teacher to save some money, instead of buying a new one. It's pretty beat up and it's really old, but it's still in good playing condition. Personally, I don't really think we should do this, and I don't even think my teacher will be willing to sell it to us, but what do you think?
I have no advice but you are a well educated young man for eleven I can tell by how you write and your thought processes. Your parents as well as yourself, are doing a great job. Kudos.

Yamaha GL1

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Number 6 wrote:
Pat Dodson wrote: Hi @Number 6. I confess to not being well up on the market for this particular guitar and there are not many references on the web to it, especially for guitars of this age. However there are a couple of 2016 and 2017 builds with asking prices at dealers of $2,450 and $2,650 though one scruffy one from 1999 was unsold on the bay at $899.

There you go, one 1999 in scruffy listed for $899 and was unsold. It is difficult to sell guitars that are in poor cosmetic condition. Just ask any dealer.
I agree and would not recommend for Dan to give a low offer to his teacher. He is 11 years old! His parents should being doing any type of negotiations. For $2000 he can get a nice used guitar in good condition. Just be patient.
Cheers! :)

Guther

Post by Guther » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Used.
Guther

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”