New or Used?

DanManGuitar

Re: New or Used?

Post by DanManGuitar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:57 pm

My teacher declined the offer. The guitar was actually in pretty bad condition. Lots of scratches on the sound board, the finish was sort of damaged(more matte than it originally was, although after 15 years, I assume that that's somewhat expected from a guitar being played at least an hour every day), a hole near the bridge from a bad string changing incident (*shudder*) and some neck problems. All in all, I could get a much better instrument with our budget, and it's worth more to him as a backup guitar than what he could sell it for. I'm going guitar shopping tomorrow, actually. I'm excited :)

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 am

DanManGuitar wrote:My teacher declined the offer. ...
Good! I think you would have regretted that. Good luck tomorrow, I hope you find a wonderful guitar!

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:Good luck tomorrow, I hope you find a wonderful guitar!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111512

Thanks, I sure did :)

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 am

DanManGuitar wrote:My teacher declined the offer. The guitar was actually in pretty bad condition. Lots of scratches on the sound board, the finish was sort of damaged(more matte than it originally was, although after 15 years, I assume that that's somewhat expected from a guitar being played at least an hour every day), a hole near the bridge from a bad string changing incident (*shudder*) and some neck problems. All in all, I could get a much better instrument with our budget, and it's worth more to him as a backup guitar than what he could sell it for. I'm going guitar shopping tomorrow, actually. I'm excited :)
It appears that you have made the right decision on your teacher's guitar. You did not mention these new to us facts about the condition of the guitar in your original log. It leads me to believe that this was your teacher's "loaner-instrument" for his students.Remember this... It is not the AGE of the Guitar - or any musical instrument - that should be consider when buying Used.The CONDITION of the instrument is what will determine its Used value.
With your budget now you can consider a well kept "Used" CG but If you are unable to find one I would seriously then consider buying a new one But Not for $2000. You could save $1500, until is time to move up in quality while learning /playing a new non-luthier made instrument for around $500. In another 9 to 12 months you if your progress indicates - you will know yourself - then you will have a bit more save to increase your Used luther-made instrument cost to a bit over the $2000.
I am sure there will be quite a few more in the market place at that price and very likiely in better condition like the one you were using from your teacher. Good Luck and Enjoy whatever instrument you find that will fit your current needs.

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:53 am

Joe de V wrote:
It appears that you have made the right decision on your teacher's guitar. You did not mention these new to us facts about the condition of the guitar in your original log. It leads me to believe that this was your teacher's "loaner-instrument" for his students.
Not a loaner instrument. It was the first time he's loaned it to anybody. He doesn't have a lot of students, and it was his backup instrument, so...

caneti3

Post by caneti3 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:53 am

Pat says: "A good quality used guitar is certainly the best way to get value for your money provided you are a good judge of its structural (rather than cosmetic) condition or can take along someone who is."

Absolutely agree!

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:19 pm

A good guitar is a good guitar, new or used. A new guitar is shinier, more expensive, and needs to be played in.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

ChristianK

Post by ChristianK » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:36 pm

John Stone wrote:A good guitar is a good guitar, new or used. A new guitar is shinier, more expensive, and needs to be played in.
+1
I always prefer used, especially spruce for the need to be played in. Let someone else take the time/effort to open her up then get her at a cheaper price.

Arkheospruce

Post by Arkheospruce » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi Dan.. Old guitars are usually more quality construction than news. Selected woods, thiny top, very good hand crafting, traditional bracing material, very thiny varnishing and finish.. Also that sound is very balanced deep basses and brillant, elastic powerfull trebles. Of course In 90's handcrafted luthier made guitars was very quality and more cheap. For example esteve guitar luthier manual adalid especial model was 2000€ around. It was Canadian cedar top,rio rosewood back and
:bye: sides,honduras cadar neck and perfect handcrafting. But new guitars are more expensive and low performance than oldies.. Now same quality guitars are 5k-6k may be more.. Good luck..

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:11 am

I'd love to find an excellent used guitar for $3000 top limit. It seems that there is a bit of a waiting game in order to source something. Then there is the issue of whether an instrument is a local buy or if it need to be shipped in. I don't mind buying a guitar from a distance, but there becomes a natural limit of when you can have guitars shipped back and forth in order to find the right one.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:48 am

Podobin wrote:I'd love to find an excellent used guitar for $3000 top limit. It seems that there is a bit of a waiting game in order to source something. Then there is the issue of whether an instrument is a local buy or if it need to be shipped in. I don't mind buying a guitar from a distance, but there becomes a natural limit of when you can have guitars shipped back and forth in order to find the right one.
There is a 1987 Ramirez 1A on reverb now for 3000 dollars. Not sure of he scale length. Is in pretty good shape by he photos. It may be a 650 or else it's a 664. You may want to check it out.

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Mon May 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Well, I must have missed the listing. . . . Anyone with a used Bernabe estudio for sale??

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Mon May 01, 2017 4:44 pm

I still have about $3000 (plus or minus) to spend and can't find a worthy "pre-driven" US-based instrument. My dollars are waiting for the right used guitar.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Podobin wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:44 pm
I still have about $3000 (plus or minus) to spend and can't find a worthy "pre-driven" US-based instrument. My dollars are waiting for the right used guitar.
Have you considered this? It's a little more but in your area.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111096

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Tue May 02, 2017 12:41 am

Yes, I did, but didn't think that I would be able to get near the price I want to pay, so didn't pursue it. . . .
Still waiting for something . . . . I don't like the idea of purchasing from a distance and dealing with the shipping back and forth. The one good thing about buying from a distance is the ability to try something out for a few days in my own environment.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”