New or Used?

DanManGuitar

Re: New or Used?

Postby DanManGuitar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:57 pm

My teacher declined the offer. The guitar was actually in pretty bad condition. Lots of scratches on the sound board, the finish was sort of damaged(more matte than it originally was, although after 15 years, I assume that that's somewhat expected from a guitar being played at least an hour every day), a hole near the bridge from a bad string changing incident (*shudder*) and some neck problems. All in all, I could get a much better instrument with our budget, and it's worth more to him as a backup guitar than what he could sell it for. I'm going guitar shopping tomorrow, actually. I'm excited :)

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 am

DanManGuitar wrote:My teacher declined the offer. ...

Good! I think you would have regretted that. Good luck tomorrow, I hope you find a wonderful guitar!

DanManGuitar

Postby DanManGuitar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:Good luck tomorrow, I hope you find a wonderful guitar!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111512

Thanks, I sure did :)

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 am

DanManGuitar wrote:My teacher declined the offer. The guitar was actually in pretty bad condition. Lots of scratches on the sound board, the finish was sort of damaged(more matte than it originally was, although after 15 years, I assume that that's somewhat expected from a guitar being played at least an hour every day), a hole near the bridge from a bad string changing incident (*shudder*) and some neck problems. All in all, I could get a much better instrument with our budget, and it's worth more to him as a backup guitar than what he could sell it for. I'm going guitar shopping tomorrow, actually. I'm excited :)

It appears that you have made the right decision on your teacher's guitar. You did not mention these new to us facts about the condition of the guitar in your original log. It leads me to believe that this was your teacher's "loaner-instrument" for his students.Remember this... It is not the AGE of the Guitar - or any musical instrument - that should be consider when buying Used.The CONDITION of the instrument is what will determine its Used value.
With your budget now you can consider a well kept "Used" CG but If you are unable to find one I would seriously then consider buying a new one But Not for $2000. You could save $1500, until is time to move up in quality while learning /playing a new non-luthier made instrument for around $500. In another 9 to 12 months you if your progress indicates - you will know yourself - then you will have a bit more save to increase your Used luther-made instrument cost to a bit over the $2000.
I am sure there will be quite a few more in the market place at that price and very likiely in better condition like the one you were using from your teacher. Good Luck and Enjoy whatever instrument you find that will fit your current needs.

DanManGuitar

Postby DanManGuitar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:53 am

Joe de V wrote:
It appears that you have made the right decision on your teacher's guitar. You did not mention these new to us facts about the condition of the guitar in your original log. It leads me to believe that this was your teacher's "loaner-instrument" for his students.

Not a loaner instrument. It was the first time he's loaned it to anybody. He doesn't have a lot of students, and it was his backup instrument, so...

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”