Anybody know of a good 640mm factory guitar?

Laudiesdad69

Re: Anybody know of a good 640mm factory guitar?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 pm

bear wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:I just measured my hand. I can stretch index finger to pinky 7inches. My thumb to pinky is 9 inches. I play 650mm guitars with no problem, but I am wondering about a 640mm guitar.

Any of you with same size hands have a preference for a scale other than 650?

I'd be interested if anybody can recommend a 640mm factory guitar? I don't want to spend a lot. Is there such a guitar? Does anybody make a 640mm factory guitar?
I would second the Kenny Hill reference, also Marlon Navarro. Navarro, is not factory but you see them around on occasion. I found the 640 easier to play than the 650, but I have problems with my left hand and the difference was hitting the F# . The 640, I can hit it without thinking about it, the 650 requires some focus.
Most of the 640's that I looked at had a 50mm nut. A 52mm would have been better for my wide fingers and limited flexibility. I had to give up steel string because the nut was too narrow. If you can play a steel string then the 50mm nut may not be an issue for you.
I have been looking online, and out of all the makers mentioned in this thread, the Kenny Hill import guitar looks the best for the price and it has a 52 mm nut. And at less than a grand it is just what I had in mind. Now if Uncle Sam will give me my money back, I think I will get one.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:25 am

Ramon Amira wrote:Marlon Navarro makes a 640. It's a luthier guitar, and it sells for the price of a barely mid-level factory guitar.

Ramon
I just saw one of these on Reverb used. It sold for 650 USD, and it was all solid woods.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:50 am

bear wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:I just measured my hand. I can stretch index finger to pinky 7inches. My thumb to pinky is 9 inches. I play 650mm guitars with no problem, but I am wondering about a 640mm guitar.

I'd be interested if anybody can recommend a 640mm factory guitar? I don't want to spend a lot. Is there such a guitar? Does anybody make a 640mm factory guitar?
I would second the Kenny Hill reference, also Marlon Navarro. Navarro, is not factory but you see them around on occasion. I found the 640 easier to play than the 650, but I have problems with my left hand and the difference was hitting the F# . The 640, I can hit it without thinking about it, the 650 requires some focus.
Most of the 640's that I looked at had a 50mm nut. A 52mm would have been better for my wide fingers and limited flexibility. I had to give up steel string because the nut was too narrow. If you can play a steel string then the 50mm nut may not be an issue for you.
I just learned that Kenny Hill is in Ben Lomond. I have two Uncles there. If I go to visit in the spring, Hill will let you make an appointment to come and try the guitars. I really know that I would like to try before I buy. It appears that his New World Estudio 640 has a 52mm nut. I can't play on a littler neck. I am waiting for an e-mail back from them, as I have some questions.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:10 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Ramon Amira wrote:Marlon Navarro makes a 640. It's a luthier guitar, and it sells for the price of a barely mid-level factory guitar.

Ramon
I just saw one of these on Reverb used. It sold for 650 USD, and it was all solid woods.
I have a 650 scale Marlon Navarro. Outstanding lyrical instrument. You'd be hard pressed to find anything sounding more beautiful for that kind of money.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
I just learned that Kenny Hill is in Ben Lomond. I have two Uncles there. If I go to visit in the spring, Hill will let you make an appointment to come and try the guitars. I really know that I would like to try before I buy. It appears that his New World Estudio 640 has a 52mm nut. I can't play on a littler neck. I am waiting for an e-mail back from them, as I have some questions.
Kenny Hill is a member of the forum (hillguitar). You might look him up on the members list and send a PM.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Norman2

Post by Norman2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi, the best 640mm factory guitar I have found is the Kenny Hill New World E640C sold by All Strings Nylon. I has a full size body and the quality of
woods and build are exceptional. Sounds great. Do a Google search or go to All Strings Nylon to take a looka t the specs. Regards
Norman2
Cordoba C9

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:18 am

Norman2 wrote:Hi, the best 640mm factory guitar I have found is the Kenny Hill New World E640C sold by All Strings Nylon. I has a full size body and the quality of
woods and build are exceptional. Sounds great. Do a Google search or go to All Strings Nylon to take a looka t the specs. Regards
Norman2

Thanks, I checked them out. And their prices were a hundred bucks less than what Kenny has listed on his website. How does that happen?

liuguowei

Post by liuguowei » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 pm

I got my 640 Esteve 7 from the Classical Guitar Store. They are located in PA, and have a website. They are very good and provide great customer service. You can have them email you sound clips of guitars you are interested in.
Esteve 7SR

si vales, valeō

CJguitar

Post by CJguitar » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 am

I wrestled with the idea of buying a 640 myself for a while. I was even playing a really nice 650 guitar made by Steven Walter, but I eventually bit the bullet and bought a Kenny Hill New World Player 640S. The scale length made a huge difference, so much so that I ended up having to sell the Walter guitar.

It's kind of hard to explain, but the guitar just feels more "comfortable". Playing in the lower positions feels more effortless and I'm able to get fantastic tone out of hard tensions strings while having them feel like normal tension. I don't think I could ever go back to a 650.

So I recommend looking into Kenny Hill's New World Series. You can also check into Pavan guitars.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:49 am

Don't believe the hype! hahaha.. I really don't notice any difference when I move from 650 to 658 at all. I have played numerous 640 guitars and I really don't think they are any easier. The biggest difference you will feel is in making the nut a little more comfortable, or in bringing the strings in a little. For example, Ramirez guitars make their nuts string spacing at around 43mm or so from E to e'. You can bring this into 42mm or so and you will notice quite a big difference in playability. Both of my 658 guitars are 51mm nuts with a roughly 41mm or so from E to e' and both play VERY well. Scale length is only ONE factor in a well setup guitar. My pinky to thumb is around 9" as well and I have no problems playing even 664 scale guitars, as long as the nut is setup in my range. 1mm from E to e' on the nut makes more difference then 10 mm on the scale makes any day.

650 to 640 is a difference of 5mm from 12th fret to the nut. Very slight change. I can guarantee that you will notice a different nut much more readily. My advice is to try it and you will be a convert! Get a luthier to make you a new nut with proper nut action and height with a slightly narrower spacing and you will notice a HUGE difference in playability. From experience, most Ramirez EStudio guitars SAY they are 52mm nuts. But, mine are both wider at around 53mm with wider string spacing (I have gotten used to them so I like it.. but, if you don't then change it!). I used to have one guitar with a 45mm E to e' and a 54mm nut and I found it very hard to play. I changed the nut and spacing to be 43mm E to e' and it was like a new guitar! It was like my hand could relax all of a sudden!

Try it! You will be a convert! Setup's are more complex than just scale length.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:22 am

Philosopherguy wrote:[quote
Don't believe the hype! hahaha.. I really don't notice any difference when I move from 650 to 658 at all. I have played numerous 640 guitars and I really don't think they are any easier. The biggest difference you will feel is in making the nut a little more comfortable, or in bringing the strings in a little. For example, Ramirez guitars make their nuts string spacing at around 43mm or so from E to e'. You can bring this into 42mm or so and you will notice quite a big difference in playability. Both of my 658 guitars are 51mm nuts with a roughly 41mm or so from E to e' and both play VERY well. Scale length is only ONE factor in a well setup guitar. My pinky to thumb is around 9" as well and I have no problems playing even 664 scale guitars, as long as the nut is setup in my range. 1mm from E to e' on the nut makes more difference then 10 mm on the scale makes any day.

650 to 640 is a difference of 5mm from 12th fret to the nut. Very slight change. I can guarantee that you will notice a different nut much more readily. My advice is to try it and you will be a convert! Get a luthier to make you a new nut with proper nut action and height with a slightly narrower spacing and you will notice a HUGE difference in playability. From experience, most Ramirez EStudio guitars SAY they are 52mm nuts. But, mine are both wider at around 53mm with wider string spacing (I have gotten used to them so I like it.. but, if you don't then change it!). I used to have one guitar with a 45mm E to e' and a 54mm nut and I found it very hard to play. I changed the nut and spacing to be 43mm E to e' and it was like a new guitar! It was like my hand could relax all of a sudden!

Try it! You will be a convert! Setup's are more complex than just scale length.[/quote]

I am even thinking about having the string spacing a little wider as there is 1 study that has some intricate picking and fingering around a D chord that is difficult to play cleanly because my ring finger is a sausage. What I was wondering was whether they would make the neck as wide or wider. The Hill Mew World 640 has a 52 mm nut, so again maybe replace the nut. And I thought it would make the stretch in Tarregas study in E minor easier as I injured my wrist.

Scott

Asa Guitar

Post by Asa Guitar » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:09 am

You can try a used Masaki Sakurai model Standard (199x) it's one of good 640mm guitar that i ever know for right price.
Although, my scale is 660mm :p, good luck for finding your guitar.
1976 Flamenco Masaru Kohno no. 20 Spruce/Cypress
1958 Masaru Kohno

caneti3

Post by caneti3 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:05 pm

I know in Valencia Ricardo Sanchis :
http://tienda.hermanossanchislopez.com/ ... s-clasicas
Good luck!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”