Buying a Classical Guitar

Wonko the Sane

Buying a Classical Guitar

Post by Wonko the Sane » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:52 am

Good day all,

I am a decent guitar player, but by no means a professional. I have played on and off as a hobby for the last 25 years. I learned to play guitar when I was in my early twenties on an old beat up classical guitar that I purchased at pawn shop for $50 dollars. Since then, I have always loved picking up other musicians classical guitars, but I have not owned on in over 20 years. I would like to come back to the fold.

What makes and models of classical guitar might some of you folks recommend I purchase. Again, I am no professional but I would like a quality instrument, as I have grown accustomed to playing on high end Larrivee's, Martin's, and Taylor's. Can I get a good Classical guitar for under a thousand dollars?

Thanks in advance,

Wonko.

George Crocket

Re: Buying a Classical Guitar

Post by George Crocket » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:22 am

Hello again, Wonko. Since this part of the forum is dedicated to answering questions like yours, your post has been moved.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:11 am

Hi Wonko the Sane

Cool nick!

I think many will agree that a Cordoba C9/10 will be great.
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:47 pm

The Manuel Rodriguez CG line have consistently produced a very good - non-luthier made instruments. There are other makers that also will meet your price range but in my experience with their instruments they fall a bit short in their quality-control phase. Not too identical models sound alike. You will need to try more than one of the same model to make a choice.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 am

Córdoba C10. Find one used and you will get it for a lot less than 1000 dollars. Also, there are Ramirez student models that are in your price range, especially if you find one used. You might also check out the bay for re-labeled Manuel Rodriguez guitars from Ausrailia. I bought one, a C3F flamenco, re-labeled as "Miguel Rosales", for 138 USD. If I had bought it from Guitar Center It would have cost me 600 bucks. Also Esteve makes some good student guitars.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:27 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Córdoba C10. Find one used and you will get it for a lot less than 1000 dollars. Also, there are Ramirez student models that are in your price range, especially if you find one used. You might also check out the bay for re-labeled Manuel Rodriguez guitars from Ausrailia. I bought one, a C3F flamenco, re-labeled as "Miguel Rosales", for 138 USD. If I had bought it from Guitar Center It would have cost me 600 bucks. Also Esteve makes some good student guitars.
I rather doubt the guitars are from Australia. You couldn't ship them to Australia then to the USA and sell them for that price, even with zero parts cost. My guess is straight from China to USA. Ignore whatever the label says.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 am

petermc61 wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:Córdoba C10. Find one used and you will get it for a lot less than 1000 dollars. Also, there are Ramirez student models that are in your price range, especially if you find one used. You might also check out the bay for re-labeled Manuel Rodriguez guitars from Ausrailia. I bought one, a C3F flamenco, re-labeled as "Miguel Rosales", for 138 USD. If I had bought it from Guitar Center It would have cost me 600 bucks. Also Esteve makes some good student guitars.
I rather doubt the guitars are from Australia. You couldn't ship them to Australia then to the USA and sell them for that price, even with zero parts cost. My guess is straight from China to USA. Ignore whatever the label says.
They are Chinese factory over runs . A dealer in austrailia has them and they ship them from Australia to US was about 66 dollars. They buy them for cheap and seller cheap. Still has the MR logo on the headstock. They just put a different paper label over the Rodriguez label inside the guitar. On the one that I have, they didn't cover the original label completely with the new one, and a corner of it sticks out. My package came from Austrailia airmail.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:29 am

In that case the Australian dealer paid about $20 ex China. I think the OP could probably do better if he can afford $1k.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”