Buying a guitar with imperfections

Laudiesdad69

Re: Buying a guitar with imperfections

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:00 am

Tomzooki wrote:
Debussychopin wrote:Caked with his sweat?

Ugh.

He couldn't have just wiped it down every once in awhile? Orr you meant aged or deteriorated by his body sweat? Now that's more like it.
Yes, more likely deteriorate by sweat. French polish is particularily at risk; I killed the finish on the back of my alto guitar within a month....
Was this due to sweat, or perhaps from rubbing against your clothes? I see certain guitar makers have used French polish on just the top and did the back and sides with lacquer. My friend had a Ramirez from 1967 that was French polish all over. And the finish was shot everywhere but the top. It was really weird. THe top had probably been re-finished as there appeared to be virtually no finish wear on the top, but the rest of the guitar the finish was in horrible shape

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Debussychopin wrote:Wow segovia was a slob!
By that measure, so was Tarrega: his Torres was damaged on the upper bout by embers from his ever present cigarette...as well as the tuning peg of the E1 (he stuck a cigarette in the coiled G string at the head and this burned the tuning grip).

In any case as Segovia said of playing the guitar well: "99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Haha

Yamaha GL1

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”