Tips on avoiding buying an overpriced instrument

nmarti31

Tips on avoiding buying an overpriced instrument

Postby nmarti31 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:09 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently in the market for a guitar around $5000, but I'm finding myself more and more hesitant to buy one based on the fear of paying too much for an instrument that probably should've been priced lower. Anyone have advice for me? Thanks!

--Nick

petermc61

Re: Tips on avoiding buying an overpriced instrument

Postby petermc61 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:08 am

Research the market carefully. Look at the 'for sale' listings on this site. I can't think of any hear your price point that are unfairly priced. There area also a few bargains there.

bear

Postby bear » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:23 am

Be prepared to walk away. It's about what the guitar is worth to you not what it's worth to the seller. No matter what you pay, someone else could have gotten the same or similar cheaper, so be the someone else. As peter suggested research, research and patience. Also 5k can get you a luthier built, check out the Guitars for Sale section.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

hatalap

Postby hatalap » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:52 am

For that price why not commission a guitar?

khayes

Postby khayes » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:53 am

hatalap wrote:For that price why not commission a guitar?
How would this allay the OP's fear of paying too much? I'm no expert on buying guitars and have never owned a luthier's instrument, but it seems with guitars (as well as many other purchases) it would pay him to consider buying something pre-owned.
Ken

Justfun

Postby Justfun » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:04 am

bear wrote:Be prepared to walk away. It's about what the guitar is worth to you not what it's worth to the seller. No matter what you pay, someone else could have gotten the same or similar cheaper, so be the someone else. As peter suggested research, research and patience. Also 5k can get you a luthier built, check out the Guitars for Sale section.

+1
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

hatalap

Postby hatalap » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:25 am

khayes wrote:
hatalap wrote:For that price why not commission a guitar?
How would this allay the OP's fear of paying too much? I'm no expert on buying guitars and have never owned a luthier's instrument, but it seems with guitars (as well as many other purchases) it would pay him to consider buying something pre-owned.

I'm all for buying pre-owned, but I don't see how this answers the question either. If a guitar was commissioned you can usually determine what the base price is for a luthier built guitar. Many list the prices on their web sites. You would be paying about what others would pay from the same luthier. Also if you know what you are looking for in terms of sound you can then discuss it with the maker.

astro64

Postby astro64 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 am

There are two ways to look at this. One is to consider whether you paid the right price based on "the market". You won't know that until you try to sell it. But I presume the intent is not to buy a $5000 guitar with the intent to sell it any time soon. The other way is to find the guitar you really like and stop worrying whether you paid the right price. While many people buy and sell guitars all the time, the reality is that a good guitar will last you the rest of your life. Just make sure you like it a lot when you buy it, don't settle for something that seems "good" or that seems "a bargain". When you extrapolate the cost over "a lifetime" it matters not one bit whether you paid a bit too much for it when you got it. The biggest challenge is to find the right guitar for you, not the best bargain.

John Ray
Luthier

Postby John Ray » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:14 am

Buying direct from the guitar-maker is a good way to pay a fair price for a guitar. Guitar-makers are usually getting less money than they deserve for each instrument. There are some very high-priced exceptions of course. I suppose there are also a few makers out there who have just started making and think that their work is worth the same as someone who has been honing their craft for 20 years. I am contrasting the "buy direct" scenario with going to a dealer but of course that way you lose the great advantage of trying many guitars and taking the one you love. Perhaps the best advice comes from astro64: buy the guitar you really like. And the oft-proffered advice of "play as many guitars as you can" is great too.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

hatalap

Postby hatalap » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:54 pm

John Ray wrote:Buying direct from the guitar-maker is a good way to pay a fair price for a guitar. Guitar-makers are usually getting less money than they deserve for each instrument. There are some very high-priced exceptions of course. I suppose there are also a few makers out there who have just started making and think that their work is worth the same as someone who has been honing their craft for 20 years. I am contrasting the "buy direct" scenario with going to a dealer but of course that way you lose the great advantage of trying many guitars and taking the one you love. Perhaps the best advice comes from astro64: buy the guitar you really like. And the oft-proffered advice of "play as many guitars as you can" is great too.

Well said John.

Number 6

Postby Number 6 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:01 pm

the term 'overpriced" is subjective. You have two options.

1. Buy new. If you buy directly from the luthier then the price is what the luthier charges. Sometimes if a luthier is represented by a dealer then the luthier cannot charge less than the dealer's prices. If you feel his fee is "overpriced" then move on. Remember though if you buy new then the resale value later on can be considerably less than what you paid for the guitar. This where you will take the biggest price hit. Go this route is you want to commission a guitar and want something brand new.

2. Buy used. The best value for your money. You should be able to get a used guitar much cheaper vs. the new cost. Check the sale boards to gauge market value. Try buying directly from a private seller vs a dealer since you may get a better price. The dealer has overhead costs that he needs to recoup. Also a private seller may be more motivated to sell at a lower price.

for $5000 you should be able to get a fabulous luthier built guitar.

most of all be patient. good luck!

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:19 pm

astro64 wrote:There are two ways to look at this. One is to consider whether you paid the right price based on "the market". You won't know that until you try to sell it. But I presume the intent is not to buy a $5000 guitar with the intent to sell it any time soon. The other way is to find the guitar you really like and stop worrying whether you paid the right price. While many people buy and sell guitars all the time, the reality is that a good guitar will last you the rest of your life. Just make sure you like it a lot when you buy it, don't settle for something that seems "good" or that seems "a bargain". When you extrapolate the cost over "a lifetime" it matters not one bit whether you paid a bit too much for it when you got it. The biggest challenge is to find the right guitar for you, not the best bargain.

Very well said.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Brynmor

Postby Brynmor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Also, remember that a used guitar will have been "played in", so the sound you are buying is less likely to change over time meaning that you can make a better judgement of how the instrument will suite your aspirations.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 pm

If you live in the USA you have the great advantage of a huge market with many many luthiers. Some are very well established and ask very high prices for their guitars, but there are also many very reasonably priced luthier made guitars of very respectable standard.
You ist need to do some research (there is a wealth of information in this forum) and take your time to try as many as possible. A guitar you like and love, if you find such, and you can afford cannot be overpriced!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

astro64

Postby astro64 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:48 am

One thing I wanted to mention, if you are in the US and in the market for a $5000 guitar, I would certainly check out the instruments by a young luthier named Michael Cadiz. You can easily find his website, he also has some good videos out. He plays well himself and knows what a good sounding guitar is. I have played two of his instruments at the GFA. They are delightful traditional spruce tops with beautiful detailing as well.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”