Tips on avoiding buying an overpriced instrument

Erik Zurcher

Re: Tips on avoiding buying an overpriced instrument

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:26 pm

If you consider how much time a luthier spends on building a guitar, most guitars are underpriced in my opinion: it takes them 100-200 hours to build one! Have a look at this list: http://www.delcamp.net/liens/luthiers.htm
My advice: buy directly from one of them and they won't overcharge you.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:41 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:O.K. I was delivering a hint to the op to look for a guitar in New Mexico, because there's a great deal to be had there...

I don't really speak internet and so I just try to guess the meaning of abbreviations from the context. OP means 'opinionated person', right?
Sorry, as non native speaker I'm lost... nm
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

oops, maybe another joke that got lost on line--I was definitely poking fun at myself, not anyone else.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:45 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:If you consider how much time a luthier spends on building a guitar, most guitars are underpriced in my opinion: it takes them 100-200 hours to build one! Have a look at this list: http://www.delcamp.net/liens/luthiers.htm
My advice: buy directly from one of them and they won't overcharge you.
+1 :bravo:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:33 am

nmarti31 wrote:Hey all,

I'm currently in the market for a guitar around $5000, but I'm finding myself more and more hesitant to buy one based on the fear of paying too much for an instrument that probably should've been priced lower. Anyone have advice for me? Thanks!

--Nick
Nick,

If you are hesitant, I would advise you to wait until the right guitar comes around. If your budget is uncomfortable, change that. If you have a teacher, ask for an opinion. If no teacher, use the internet to research the guitars you are interested in.
Steve

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”