Hauser replicas

Bodhi

Hauser replicas

Postby Bodhi » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi folks I was able to play recently Gary Southwell's 1940 Hauser 1 replica that he shows on his website. It was fun to play and I couldn't resist an ironic performance of Julia Florida on a guitar modelled after Segovia and Bream's favourite luthie,r even though they both somehow shied away from Barrios. It just made me yearn for what Barrios would have sounded like on the 1937 Hauser...

Anyway, my question is a little different-I wanted to learn more about people's experiences of playing Hauser replicas vs the originals if anybody has had the fortune of doing this. I had a chance to buy a Hauser IIa qhile back (maybe it was Bream's) and college fees kind of got in the way (sigh). Are the replicas up to the mark and if so which come closest in sound? As you may know I own a Barrios "Morant" by Frederico Shephard and it is an exquisite guitar in its own right. I liked the Southwell Hauser a lot but couldn't see it knocking out one of my current guitars, hence the question.

Looking forward to the responses!
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

Gary Macleod

Re: Hauser replicas

Postby Gary Macleod » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Haven't had the chance to play an original but this Adalid Hauser blew the socks off many of the guitars I played at the London guitar studio recently!

https://youtu.be/IC7n7sDhCYQ

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:Haven't had the chance to play an original but this Adalid Hauser blew the socks off many of the guitars I played at the London guitar studio recently!

Any chance of you telling us about any of the other guitars you tried out there, and which ones really stood out?

Gary Macleod

Postby Gary Macleod » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:Haven't had the chance to play an original but this Adalid Hauser blew the socks off many of the guitars I played at the London guitar studio recently!

Any chance of you telling us about any of the other guitars you tried out there, and which ones really stood out?

A Burguet 1a- very sweet sound , 2nd best
Alhambra linea pro - loud but muddy
Guo philharmonic- really not my thing
Verreydt - nice but nothing special
Ferrer- from Granada, very sweet , good choice
Adalid Hopf - Spruce top lattice, this was my favourite , I had the cedar which I found a bit too dark but this was fantastic.

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:42 pm

That is really interesting; thanks

What is surprising is that in another thread somebody described buying the Guo Philharmonic and says it is the best instrument he has ever played. They are about £4k I think.

In contrast, the Burguet 1As are really priced at the low end of luthier guitars (2.5 K).

As you know, I have the Adalid Hopf cedar and now I want to try the spruce as well.
I am still waiting for my Italian friend to make me a guitar

Back to Hausers -

There is a spruce adalid Hauser on the auction site right now £1.2 k - a bargain,

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Full disclosure, I'm a hobbyist guitarist with a passion for Hauser and Hauser style guitars and Torres style guitars. I've owned Lattice top guitars and am not a fan.

I've played a Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' , owned an Enrico Bottelli '1952 Hauser' , owned a Manuel Velazquez 2007, played a 2015 Fritz Ober 'Hauser' all exquisite instruments and certainly paid homage to Hauser. My teacher owns a 1962 Hauser II Each one of these Hauser inspired guitars, in particular, the Bottelli and the Velazquez were as close to a Hauser as I can imagine.

I own a new Hauser III with a 2013 date, but delivered in mid 2014 and my teacher owns a Hauser II, 1962 date, delivered in 1964. Simply said, a real Hauser has its own aesthetics, detail of construction, balance, and aristocratic tone that I did not hear in any of the Hauser copies or replicas. There just isn't a substitute.

But, and Forgive me for going off subject, there are a couple of luthiers that make instruments with the playability and sweetness of tone that come from the Torres lineage. Andrea Tacchi and Gabriele Lodi both make extraordinary guitars. Andrea's guitars are exquisite and lovely to play. Gabriele is a young Luthier who's guitars are currently affordable and are just magic in the hands. I don't think you would confuse either a Tacchi or Lodi for a Hauser, but either one would fulfill the desire to own one.
Hauser III 2014!

Gary Macleod

Postby Gary Macleod » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:That is really interesting; thanks

What is surprising is that in another thread somebody described buying the Guo Philharmonic and says it is the best instrument he has ever played. They are about £4k I think.

In contrast, the Burguet 1As are really priced at the low end of luthier guitars (2.5 K).

As you know, I have the Adalid Hopf cedar and now I want to try the spruce as well.
I am still waiting for my Italian friend to make me a guitar

Back to Hausers -

There is a spruce adalid Hauser on the auction site right now £1.2 k - a bargain,

Yes £1.2 k starting price, lets see what it goes for.

David_Norton

Postby David_Norton » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Jack Douglas wrote: Andrea Tacchi and Gabriele Lodi both make extraordinary guitars. Andrea's guitars are exquisite and lovely to play. Gabriele is a young Luthier who's guitars are currently affordable and are just magic in the hands.

Marcin Dylla is using a spruce/maple Lodi these days. Excellent timbre and tonal qualities to this instrument. Not a lot of horsepower, but that's not the goal with this model.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:What is surprising is that in another thread somebody described buying the Guo Philharmonic and says it is the best instrument he has ever played.

Not surprising at all; that's just personal opinion. If we all agreed, we'd all play the same guitar.
I have played a few Guo guitars and think they are fantastic - very responsive, fast, sustain +++, and lovely to play.

Back on topic and to reiterate what Jack says above, I have a Hauser III. No copy I have ever played has come near it's "aristocratic" (I like that!) tone and, especially, phenomenal balance across all strings. I guess I would say that wouldn't I?

I also have a Woodfield lattice. If the house was burning down, I'd grab the Woodfield. I'll admit it'd be close, very close, but that's personal preference for you.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:54 pm

My understanding is that it really matters whether the copy is of a specific instrument, and if so, which, or a more generic emulation.

I played the Southwell 1940 copy, which is presumably of the 'Augustine' Hauser Bream had on loan. It was at a conference, there was noise and a long queue to try it out, and my memory of it is that it was kind of explosive, like every note was leaping out, and the strings were amazingly alive.

I hear two Ambridge Hausers every week - and another one will be along before long. Its a copy of a 1940 Hauser understood to be related to the one Bream had on loan. One David Munday has a testimony on the Ambridge website to the effect that he can't tell his apart from his 1940 Hauser. And of course, Bream himself, after stopping playing, bought one for his Trust.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Dofpic

Postby Dofpic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:11 pm

I have played and owned several copies as well as a Hauser II and a 1937 Hauser I. The 1937 guitar totally blew me away by leaps and bounds. Having said that the Abridge I owned came the closest in sound. it was a new instrument and will probably open up nicely but did not have quite the presence of the original. Remarkable purity but that 1937...Wow times ten!
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober, 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2012 Jochen Rothel,2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2009 Achim Gropius,2015 Daniele Chiesa, 2014 Joshua DeJonge

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Dofpic wrote:I have played and owned several copies as well as a Hauser II and a 1937 Hauser I. The 1937 guitar totally blew me away by leaps and bounds. Having said that the Abridge I owned came the closest in sound. it was a new instrument and will probably open up nicely but did not have quite the presence of the original. Remarkable purity but that 1937...Wow times ten!

The Ambridge is indeed opening up and getting sweeter too. I suspect it might turn out to be the finest guitar I have owned.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:11 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Dofpic wrote:I have played and owned several copies as well as a Hauser II and a 1937 Hauser I. The 1937 guitar totally blew me away by leaps and bounds. Having said that the Abridge I owned came the closest in sound. it was a new instrument and will probably open up nicely but did not have quite the presence of the original. Remarkable purity but that 1937...Wow times ten!

The Ambridge is indeed opening up and getting sweeter too. I suspect it might turn out to be the finest guitar I have owned.

It would be truly amazing for any new instrument to have the presence (though I'd be interested in some definition of that term...) of something so old.

Certainly the two I see are changing, more or so the elder of the two (its the one in my videos if you've seen those) but even the newer, a couple of months old, is changing; and I think both owners would say they are hardly over-playing them.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Bodhi

Postby Bodhi » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:50 pm

"I own a new Hauser III with a 2013 date, but delivered in mid 2014 and my teacher owns a Hauser II, 1962 date, delivered in 1964. Simply said, a real Hauser has its own aesthetics, detail of construction, balance, and aristocratic tone that I did not hear in any of the Hauser copies or replicas. There just isn't a substitute."

Hi Jack what is your candid assessment of the current generation of Hauser III guitars vs Hauser II since you have experience of both? I see a wide range of views in the thread on which replica is good, and seems to depend a lot on the choice of the original they are replicating. Anybody have a view on Marco Bortolozzo's 1937 Hauser replica at Kent Guitar Classics? I am seriously thinking about this or the Gary Southwell 1940 one, given I missed my chance with the original Hauser II (tear comes to eye...)
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:13 am

Hi Jack what is your candid assessment of the current generation of Hauser III guitars vs Hauser II since you have experience of both? I see a wide range of views in the thread on which replica is good, and seems to depend a lot on the choice of the original they are replicating.

Hi Bodhi,

I'm flattered that you ask for my assessment of current Hauser III vs Hauser II and I'm happy to give you my non-professional hobbyist opinion.
First, I've played two Hauser III's. One was made around 2005 and my own 2013 Segovia model. Of those two I prefer my 2013. I just like the tone and playability (I lowered the action) of mine better.Mine remained at a dealer virtually unplayed until I got in in December 2016, so it's only got 3 months playing time. It is very well balanced and has clear but sweet trebles. The basses are coming along. Though it's not yet a mature instrument I hear in it the qualities of a great instrument. I'm a visual person and the green used in the rosette and binding is particularly attractive to me. I had no say so in the set-up and was set by Hauser III at 5 mm bass and 3 mm treble. There was no room on the treble side and only a millimeter on the bass side. Hauser sent me a new saddle blank and now the action is perfect for me at 4mm bass and 3mm treble. My instrument is a 647 scale making it kind to my smaller fingers. The sound just seems to bloom from the guitar and the tone is devine, aristocratic. At this point in its maturity it's not the loudest guitar, but as I play it daily I hear the potential as it develops . The Brazilian Rosewood in my guitar came from the years 1931-1935 and the spruce top came from Hauser I vintage.
My teacher's Hauser II is I believe a 650 scale and more tan/brown. It's quite loud and has a more developed mature tone. However, there's no mistaking the Hauser sound of either instrument. We compared the backs of our guitars and they are remarkably similar, but the spruce tops are quite different. His top is wide grained with a very parallel grain and has no Bearclaw silking at all. My top is finer drained with a hint of bearclaw. The sound of his guitar is piercing, yet velvety and open and by that I mean it can be heard very well in an ensemble. At this point in the development of my Hauser III it isn't as loud or formidable as my teacher's Hauser II. There may be a slight difference in overall volume between the 650 and 647 scale but I suspect it's minimal.

Which one would I want if money were no object and both instruments were available? Because of my aesthetic background I would likely choose the Hauser III, but if my eyes were closed and I had to choose simply by tone it would be difficult and I might lean toward the mature sound of Hauser II. If I picked the instrument that feels and looks like it was made by a master and on how easy the guitar is to play I would pick my Hauser III. I sense the years of experience that Hauser III had before making my guitar. My teacher bought his Hauser II new in 1964 or 65 and it's like a glove on his hand but not in mine.

In 1957 Hauser II made the famous guitar that Julien Bream played between 1959 and 1963. Hauser II took over for Hauser I in 1952 (though he had worked alongside his father Hauser I since 1930) and continued building until 1983 and in his career built about 550 guitars. When he took the reigns of the Hauser company under the name Hauser II he had been building guitars for 10 years when he made my teacher's instrument.
Hauser III started building in 1975 and is now at around 730 guitars. In 2013 Hauser III had been building guitars for 39 years before he built my guitar.

In the end Hauser III's years of experience is evident in the instrument I own. The 1964 Hauser II is remarkable in that such a glorious guitar was built in year 10 of Hauser II's career.
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”