Hauser replicas

ChristianK

Re: Hauser replicas

Postby ChristianK » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:55 am

Bodhi wrote:Anybody have a view on Marco Bortolozzo's 1937 Hauser replica at Kent Guitar Classics? I am seriously thinking about this or the Gary Southwell 1940 one, given I missed my chance with the original Hauser II (tear comes to eye...)

Bodhi, I had an opportunity to test a Southwell and Bortolozzo (Torres model) during the same sitting. Both excellent but I much preferred the Bortolozzo. I almost bought that guitar you mentioned. It was between the Bortolozzo and a 95' Ambridge. I decided to go with the Ambridge, the tipping point being the Ambridge was 640mm scale and I wanted to try a 640 since I've always played 650. The Bortolozzo is an excellent deal at the price it is for sale.

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:56 am

Very informative post - Thanks Jack.

I took great interest in Tavi Jinariu's comments regarding Hausers, since he has played >20 from all the family on account of recording his fabulous videos for GSI. He said that by far the best was a Hauser III from 1986. That's not to say that Hauser III makes the best guitars, especially not when we consider the Segovia/Bream instruments, it's just to note that they all share a common DNA that probably isn't going to be manifest in many copies (indeed how could it?). Clearly they all bulit/build an instrument from a common heritage and have the skills necessary to craft a guitar that - almost! - commands the price asked. Every now and again one will be very special, such is the nature of building something from wood and glue.

LukeMarsden

Postby LukeMarsden » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:16 am

there are some real hauser boffins here which is cool as i think these guitars are the finest sounding models....
as i understand there are only a select few English luthiers who make "real" copies of Bream's Hauser (i mean luthiers who have actually worked with Julian Bream and had his Hauser in their workshop) other luthiers do "hauser style" guitars - which are more inspired by hauser....

Bodhi

Postby Bodhi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 am

Jack I was just drooling over your exquisite analysis.Thank you! I do think a lot ultimately hinges on how the set up gels with the person and I was so interested to see how with Hauser III you were able to tailor it to suit you (a bit like a Brioni tailor made suit no??:)) Based on ChristianK's comment I may try and find time to go and check out the Bartolozzo guitar..
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:18 pm

UKsteve wrote:Very informative post - Thanks Jack.

I took great interest in Tavi Jinariu's comments regarding Hausers, since he has played >20 from all the family on account of recording his fabulous videos for GSI. He said that by far the best was a Hauser III from 1986. That's not to say that Hauser III makes the best guitars, especially not when we consider the Segovia/Bream instruments, it's just to note that they all share a common DNA that probably isn't going to be manifest in many copies (indeed how could it?). Clearly they all bulit/build an instrument from a common heritage and have the skills necessary to craft a guitar that - almost! - commands the price asked. Every now and again one will be very special, such is the nature of building something from wood and glue.

Thank you Steve,
I really liked your comment at the end, 'Every now and again one will be very special,,,,'
How true that is!
Thanks again.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Bodhi wrote:Jack I was just drooling over your exquisite analysis.Thank you! I do think a lot ultimately hinges on how the set up gels with the person and I was so interested to see how with Hauser III you were able to tailor it to suit you (a bit like a Brioni tailor made suit no??:)) Based on ChristianK's comment I may try and find time to go and check out the Bartolozzo guitar..

Bodhi,

You're very kind. Thank you. Should the deal not work out with the Bartolozzo the dealer that had mine has another one that is gorgeous and constructed with woods similar to mine. I think you can just do a google search for Hauser III number 724 on you tube and have a listen.

Miles at Kent Is, in my opinion, extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I've spoken to him, but never been in his studio. After your visit please post a report.

I took a listen to the Bartolozzo with Miles playing 'Romance di los Pinos' and though a new instrument has a lovely tone and with my eyes closed I could hear the Hauser provenance. Very nice indeed!

All the best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Guther

Postby Guther » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:13 pm

I've played two Hauser II's and one III. I agree with the post that the more mature sound coming from the older ones is tough to beat. However, keeping the thread topic of "replicas" alive, a Manuel Velazquez I played at Trilogy guitars in LA was superior to the III but not quite as perfect as the II. These were all played at the same sitting so it provided a unique opportunity to compare. My opinion is of a hobbyist, of course, but I think most folks posting on here are as well. I own two Hauser replicas and both are great. However, Manuel Velazquez had his own Hauser-ispired style and his instruments are on another level.

The lasting memory of the Hauser II was how even the basses were and, most importantly, the sustain. They lasted forever and didn't get lost among the other notes.
Guther

Gary Macleod

Postby Gary Macleod » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Well as a non hobbyist I have to say the Adalid Hauser is one of the finest spruce top guitars I've played. Very focused direct sound and louder than you'd think for a small body guitar.

Dofpic

Postby Dofpic » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Peter, I heard such tremendous potential in that guitar much like seeing a young really talented athlete than needed work and maturing to reach its full potential. The purity and refinement of sound was without peer. Some guitars I owned had a stronger voice and was warmer but I could hear that the Ambridge had the ability to surpass them all. I think in a couple of more years it will be truly amazing. Glad you own it. Wish I still did but can't really play anymore.

www.jamesstroudcompetition.com
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober, 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2012 Jochen Rothel,2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2009 Achim Gropius,2015 Daniele Chiesa, 2015 John Dick, 2014 Joshua DeJonge

Bodhi

Postby Bodhi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi folks, well I have gone and done something foolish maybe. I got the chance to reserve a Hauser 1937 Segovia model replica from Hauser directly. It should arrive in autumn. I am told there will be an interesting Rosette design so can't wait. I heard that the last 'in memoriam' model they made was fabulous so I look forward to this one. I figured if you are going to go for a replica then get one from The Hauser family direct. It will be signed by Kathrin Hauser like the previous one. Will keep you posted when the guitar arrives!

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:07 am

Bodhi wrote:Hi folks, well I have gone and done something foolish maybe. I got the chance to reserve a Hauser 1937 Segovia model replica from Hauser directly. It should arrive in autumn. I am told there will be an interesting Rosette design so can't wait. I heard that the last 'in memoriam' model they made was fabulous so I look forward to this one. I figured if you are going to go for a replica then get one from The Hauser family direct. It will be signed by Kathrin Hauser like the previous one. Will keep you posted when the guitar arrives!

Impressive, but I am wondering how you got one in such a short time frame? I thought the wait list was a fair bit longer than that.

Bodhi

Postby Bodhi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:27 am

I was made aware of a slot coming up that had come free. I didn't probe why but simply took the chance and went for it. I guess I was lucky with timing or my Hauser-seeking vibes got a callback from the universe somehow.....

Beowulf

Postby Beowulf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 am

Bodhi wrote:Hi folks, well I have gone and done something foolish maybe. I got the chance to reserve a Hauser 1937 Segovia model replica from Hauser directly. It should arrive in autumn. I am told there will be an interesting Rosette design so can't wait. I heard that the last 'in memoriam' model they made was fabulous so I look forward to this one. I figured if you are going to go for a replica then get one from The Hauser family direct. It will be signed by Kathrin Hauser like the previous one. Will keep you posted when the guitar arrives!

Wow! You are in for some joy... :bravo:

Here is a delicate performance on one which took 13 months to complete: http://www.guitarrasdeluthier.com/en/pr ... oriam/1556
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:47 am

Bodhi wrote:I was made aware of a slot coming up that had come free. I didn't probe why but simply took the chance and went for it. I guess I was lucky with timing or my Hauser-seeking vibes got a callback from the universe somehow.....

Wow, just wow! This is very exciting news! I'm so happy for you and will anxiously await news of its delivery.
Congratulations!
Can't wait to see pictures. I listened to the example recording and that model is lovely!!

If you go to their shop to pick up your guitar some pictures and a report would also be great!!

You might want to tell Kathrin how you want the action set. You'll recall me mentioning that mine was set at 12th fret +5 mm bass and just slightly more than 3mm treble.

:bravo:
Hauser III 2014!

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:48 am

Wow, I guess, unless you have been on the queue for a few years and are still two years away from getting one.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”