Hauser replicas

Bodhi

Re: Hauser replicas

Postby Bodhi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks all, the aim is that if timing and convenience allows then I will try and go and pick it up. If so I will do a full report. Current scheduled delivery is Oct/Nov this year. I ideally would like to keep the Segovia original setup and action even if my fingers don't quite have the stretch and power of the maestro, but let's see.

The guitarras de luthier link is interesting as the web-page shows the 'in memoriam' model which is termed as a 'homage' but the clip is from the 1937 Segovia model that I am getting. They are two different models. Hope I can play half as good when I get mine!
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:15 am

Bodhi wrote:Thanks all, the aim is that if timing and convenience allows then I will try and go and pick it up. If so I will do a full report. Current scheduled delivery is Oct/Nov this year. I ideally would like to keep the Segovia original setup and action even if my fingers don't quite have the stretch and power of the maestro, but let's see.

The Segovia model will have the bracing and dimensions of the one built for Segovia and uses old woods. There is no standard Segovia action - they will set up the guitar as you like. You should specify an action you are comfortable playing.

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:09 am

petermc61 wrote:Wow, I guess, unless you have been on the queue for a few years and are still two years away from getting one.

I assume that is yours truly Peter?

I have to say that my own experience (largely with uber steel-string makers) is that the waiting list shortens dramatically the minute you commit to a purchase. I don't want to point any specific fingers here but an apparent waiting list of several years definitely creates the impression (true or otherwise) that the luthier's guitars are very much in demand, and helps keep the price up. On a couple of occasions I have been able to get a guitar within a year from a luthier with a "7 year" wait.

I would also be pretty peeved if I was on a list and someone was able to jump the queue; indeed that happened to me a couple of years ago. Surely the right thing to do is for the luthier to contact those already on the list and ask if they'd like their guitar a little earlier?

In any event, not the OPs fault at all. Enjoy the guitar when it arrives - it is the real deal.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:25 am

Hi Steve

That's me!

I can see the predicament the Hausers might be in. Typically the buyer chooses the model and the woods a year out from when the guitar is finished and a year's worth of guitars are made in batches (as far as I understand). It sounds in this case that the model and woods were chosen by somebody on the list and after construction started they have had to pull out. Had that guitar been offered to somebody on the list they would have had no choice on model or timbers which means it would not truly be their commission. Then again, getting a guitar a year or two earlier might we offset that lack of choice.

I guess my preference would have been to offer the instrument to people in sequence on their list and let the first person interested take it.

Had they got to me on the list they would have known I am serious - I have owned two other Hauser family instruments.

Anyway, good luck to the OP.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”