Upgrading from entry level guitar, looking for recommendations.

prewarmartin

Upgrading from entry level guitar, looking for recommendations.

Postby prewarmartin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been playing guitar for the last ten years or so but have only recently started playing classical. I purchased a Yamaha C40 to start with & really fell in love with Classical guitar. Now I'm wanting to upgrade to something nicer but I'm a bit lost on what I should look for.

My budget is $500 - $2000

I'd like it to have a matte/satin neck. I hate playing glossy necks, they feel too sticky and it makes it difficult to play.

I was looking at the Ramirez 130 anos a few months ago and it looked pretty nice. However, I think the neck was glossy and I can't seem to find them for sale anymore.

I'd prefer a used Luthier built guitar over a factory guitar but am open to both.

Last, I like playing slow/sad pieces a lot. I want something that is warm & mellow sounding that isn't too bright.

Hoping to get some suggestions as to what I should get, thanks!

mmapag

Re: Upgrading from entry level guitar, looking for recommendations.

Postby mmapag » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:07 am

Look at some of the used items here. There are some good ones within your budget. People can get more specific if you share where you are located. As far as the matte neck goes, any neck can become matte with a little 0000 steel wool.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

bear

Postby bear » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:10 am

steel wool will solve the neck issue
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

prewarmartin

Postby prewarmartin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks for the replies! I checked out the for sale section briefly but will look more into it. I've heard about using steel wool but wasn't sure how effective it would be. If it solves the sticky neck issue then that's good to hear, definitely gives me more options as most necks seem to have a glossy finish on them.

souldier

Postby souldier » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Take a look at the Yamaha GC22. I had a chance to play one at sweetwater. It had a very nice matte finish neck which was comfortable. The guitar was also particularly responsive and clear.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Victor Seal

Postby Victor Seal » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:45 pm

I would suggest finding a store with a good inventory of new and used guitars. Play all the guitars they have in stock. There may be some that you really like the playability, but not the tone. Or maybe you love the tone, but not the playability. Maybe you will find just what you are looking for. If not, you will walk away with a good solid notion of what you are looking for.

Semitone

Postby Semitone » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:33 pm

I have a number of guitars, mostly electric. I prefer a satin finished neck but not all glossy necks are sticky. Some are really slick. I've used steel wool on a number of Les Pauls, which I think are the worst offenders when it comes to stickiness. It works for a while but then they will get sticky/glossy again. Out comes the steel wool... rinse and repeat. Eventually you will get all the finish off. You can try to do it the first time but you need to be careful not to go through the stain and create a "bald" spot. ( Although I've never tried to sell one, I also think I may need to give it a shot of lacquer if you don't want to scare aware some buyers.)

In any event, my point is not all glossy guitar necks are sticky.
Last edited by Semitone on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golfgnome

Postby Golfgnome » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Just curious, have you tried Cordoba guitars? I am currently looking at the F7 in cedar or spruce. I've played the cedar and liked it quite a bit but I want to try the spruce version as well. My teacher thinks the Cordobas are a good value as do many who post here.

souldier

Postby souldier » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Golfgnome wrote:Just curious, have you tried Cordoba guitars? I am currently looking at the F7 in cedar or spruce. I've played the cedar and liked it quite a bit but I want to try the spruce version as well. My teacher thinks the Cordobas are a good value as do many who post here.

I think the F7 is a flamenco guitar? Perhaps you are referring to the C7.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Golfgnome

Postby Golfgnome » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:55 am

Yes, I meant C7.

Norman2

Postby Norman2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi, You should take a look at the Almansa 457 Conservatory model. It has solid cedar top and solid body, Ebony fingerboard and the quality of
build and sound are excellent. They sell for around $1200.00. Attached photos of mine. Regards
Norman2
Almansa 457

mmapag

Postby mmapag » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:24 pm

In your price range, I would not call the C7 your best value. The C10 is a much better instrument and within your price range. There are also lots of other good choices. Esteve, Navarro, Picado, Cervantes...to say nothing of the great used choices available here and at other places. The key factor is that we can only tell you what we might like. You have to determine for yourself what sounds best to you and what is available to play where you are located. You don't really mention where you are. With that info, the recommendations of where to look would be more specific.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:02 pm

I'm a little late jumping in here, but if you'll look for a post on here a day or so ago about reputable guitar dealers I'm sure you will find one of them near you. Find the one you like and contact them. Personally, I think used is the way to go to get the best upgrade for your money. Anything new in your price range is not likely to be a Luthier made guitar and with a new guitar you'll get with it the financial loss of buying new.
Another argument for buying used is perhaps a bigger selection of guitars in your price range especially if you find some older used guitars.
Like others have said you'll get more specific suggestions if you'll say where you're located. There are a lot of well informed Delcamp members that can lend a hand.
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”