Upgrading from entry level guitar, looking for recommendations.

Bax Burgess

Re: Upgrading from entry level guitar, looking for recommendations.

Post by Bax Burgess » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:01 pm

"Cordoba guitars are voiced for mass market ears, they'll be deceptively nice at first, but then you have to live with it, and it's like a nagging or pestilent politician, always squaking and never talking."

My S/R C12 must still be in its dreamy eyed, idealistic stage, before the political realities come to bear.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:13 pm

MessyTendon wrote:...
Voicing is important. Cordoba guitars are voiced for mass market ears, they'll be deceptively nice at first, but then you have to live with it, and it's like a nagging or pestilent politician, always squaking and never talking.
+1
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Well Bax, sometimes a guitar is just a guitar :)

It's easy to say go buy this or go buy that, but what is available to some might not be for others. I think it's really difficult to suggest one brand over the other with a strict budget. There is always something better or worse for more or less money.

In the budget minded guitar buyer, I think it's important to not be too hasty. If the Cordoba was your diamond in the rough, so be it. My mind is not closed to chinese production guitars, It's entirely shut. I just don't see any reason to spend over 1,000$ on a mass produced production guitar.

For instance for 1,000$ one can find a really nice Taurus,Tatay,Aria...all top of the mark guitars with sweet build, light and responsive. Again I'm not knocking your Cordoba. But I think the discovery of affordable responsive guitars is well worth the time and effort.

Small production factory guitars offer a glimpse of a hand built luthier guitar for a fraction of the cost. Cordoba in my ears and eyes, puts a shiny coat of paint on some nice wood, but under the hood is a little 2 stroke motor trying to win the Indy 500.

I think the sweet spot of the Cordoba line up is the 300-600$ guitars...Going into the 1,000$ territory opens vintage guitar buys that are super great.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:24 pm

MessyTendon wrote:Well Bax, sometimes a guitar is just a guitar :)

It's easy to say go buy this or go buy that, but what is available to some might not be for others. I think it's really difficult to suggest one brand over the other with a strict budget. There is always something better or worse for more or less money.

In the budget minded guitar buyer, I think it's important to not be too hasty. If the Cordoba was your diamond in the rough, so be it. My mind is not closed to chinese production guitars, It's entirely shut. I just don't see any reason to spend over 1,000$ on a mass produced production guitar.

For instance for 1,000$ one can find a really nice Taurus,Tatay,Aria...all top of the mark guitars with sweet build, light and responsive. Again I'm not knocking your Cordoba. But I think the discovery of affordable responsive guitars is well worth the time and effort.

Small production factory guitars offer a glimpse of a hand built luthier guitar for a fraction of the cost. Cordoba in my ears and eyes, puts a shiny coat of paint on some nice wood, but under the hood is a little 2 stroke motor trying to win the Indy 500.

I think the sweet spot of the Cordoba line up is the 300-600$ guitars...Going into the 1,000$ territory opens vintage guitar buys that are super great.
I totally agree on all counts. Especially the bolded above. I am always amazed at the many Cordoba recommendations. To me, there are so many better choices for the $$ spent. Including the ones you listed above.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Bax Burgess

Post by Bax Burgess » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:49 pm

As per my Picado 54 and Castelluccia G6b, the C12 does very well indeed. And certainly, MT, your mentioning of Taurus, Tatay, and Aria gives me intriguing leads.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:59 pm

I did the same step-up and same budget. There's some ambiguity in the sense of "luthier built" in my mind, at this price range. Small shops that have several builders working together can make wonderful instruments. They're not factories, but they're not the 1-man shop with signed labels either (could you accept "luthiers-built" instead of luthier, singular?). I chose the Hanika 56PF shown in my sig line, an upgrade from the Cordoba C5 Chinese factory model I started with. It has a tone that I instantly loved when I first heard it, and the woodwork is stunning. The neck has a gloss finish and I don't have any sense of sticking on it, but I don't have a lot of experience with different feeling necks, so I don't have any recommendations for you other than ... if you see a Hanika, take a close look!

One thing I've noticed is that my self-assessment of guitar tone is no better than my self-assessment of voice. I didn't think I was getting the full clear tone that I had heard, but then thanks to a thread I read on this board, I realized that the sound that comes up to my ears from the side of the guitar isn't the full sound emitted by the soundboard. To experience my own tone, I need to record it (which is a major pain) or bounce the sound off a hard wall.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:45 am

Soon someone will conduct Blind Tests for both Listeners/Players and find that they can/cannot reliably distinguish between luthier built guitars and small factory guitars :)
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:38 am

Location is important when you select and buy a good guitar with less than $2000. Because you need to try and buy it. It is totally different to buy a such guitar in a big city or in a small city...

Without location mentioned, it is almost impossible to offer solution...
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”