Good shops to buy classical guitars in Munich?

Sharkbait

Good shops to buy classical guitars in Munich?

Post by Sharkbait » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:35 am

Hi Delcampers,

Would anyone be able to recommend a few good shops in Munich that carry a range of student/factory classical guitars?

I am a beginner in classical guitar and am thinking of buying a good student guitar/factory guitar to last me for a few years of practice and learning. I am taking lessons but all I have is a basic Yamaha guitar, which I feel is not inspiring my practising.

As I will be going to Munich for a business trip later this year and will have a couple of days when I can go to music shops, can anyone recommend me some shops in Munich where I might be able to try some guitars like Paco Castillo, Juan Hernandez or Hanika? Or if anyone has recommendations for any other CG maker, I would welcome it.

Additionally, if there are short scale/señorita guitars, I would also like to hear about them in order to try them. I've been using a 650mm guitar but have difficulty stretching for some of the notes. I've measured my left hand thumb-to-little finger span and it's 20 cm, which seems to indicate that I'm more suited to a 630mm guitar. I don't know whether getting another 650mm guitar which has "easy playability" might be the answer (is Yamaha already easy to play?), or whether I should only concentrate on looking for a short-scale guitar? Any suggestions and comments on this point would be very welcome.

My budget is reasonably flexible, but because I still haven't developed my ears nor my preferred style, I don't think I should spend too much money yet - around €1,000, maybe up to a max of €1,200-1,500. I would like to save up money for a proper luthier/better grade guitar once I have more skills, but I want an interim guitar to help me get to that higher level of skills.

Thank you! :D

andreas777

Re: Good shops to buy classical guitars in Munich?

Post by andreas777 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:00 am

Musikhaus Hieber Lindberg, you can find them easily in the internet.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:18 am

Thank you Andreas. One thing I forgot to mention was, I don't speak any German (ok, I speak a few words of German, but they are the sorts of words like "Thank you", "Goodbye" and for ordering food). I know many Germans speak excellent English. Do you think Musikhaus Hieber Lindberg will have staff who speak enough English to help me select a suitable guitar? No problem if you don't know; I already appreciate your kindness in helping me, and responding so quickly.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:13 pm

I don't know what languages the employees of that guitar shop can speak, but I think it's very likely that there is at least one person who speaks English. If you want to be sure, then you could write them an email and ask if there is an English speaking person available at the day you plan to visit them. You mentioned that you will be in Munich for a couple of days. If you should return from a guitar shop in Germany and you still have questions due to communication issues, then post them here and we will find a solution.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Btw, if your business trip is end of this month (March, 31), then you could visit a concert of Pepe Romero together with the Münchner Symphoniker in Munich. I can send you a link if you are interested in that event...

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:41 pm

No, not this month. Probably in the summer - June or July.

I will likely look at what performances are at the Gasteig when I am there, since I usually try to stay in the Rosenheimer Platz area.

Good idea about writing to them to ask for availability of an English-speaking member of staff on the days I can visit the shop. Will keep that in mind and plan it closer to my trip.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”