Sweet, warm, balanced, dark?

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: Sweet, warm, balanced, dark?

Postby Rick Beauregard » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:Thanks everyone for your attempts at answering my question and clueing me into the similar threads. I am still frustrated though. I am not asking the question "how do you describe the color purple." I am asking what specific combinations of red-green-blue are in this shade of purple. This is defined quantitatively for colors of every hue. I may prefer baby blue to burnt orange, that's my personal preference. But I should be able to specifically define each color that is repeatable. Finding verbal descriptors for whether red is raspy or warm is not the point. For example, to say a guitar has balanced tone says nothing to me. To say striking this note creates multiple peaks in these frequencies and suppresses these others seems like a more precise way to describe subtle differences in sound quality.

I'm sure we have some physicists and sound engineers who can solve this and present a repeatable, if somewhat simplified model analogous to the RGB scale for color. It has probably already been done.

Yes, it has as I noted in my post above: specifically the section referring to harmonic content as related to sound character and waveform risetime/decay as related to attack. Another example: playing without nails will produce a warmer sound with less "attack", i.e., fewer higher order harmonics and a slower risetime in the waveform...as in less percussive sound. To measure this, simply record a note and then use a computerized programme to analyze the spectral content...or use a spectrum analyzer app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spectru ... 78884?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/spectru ... 62922?mt=8

Ya that's what I'm tawkin about.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

drmlyung

Re: Sweet, warm, balanced, dark?

Postby drmlyung » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:49 am

Yes, it is possible to measure, quantitatively, the property of a note from an instrument. And there are scientific/engineering instrument to do so.

However, which note, on which string, to measure? How many notes to measure? .... to fully described and define a instrument? So that anyone sees the data will see the same "tonic picture" in one's mind?

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”