Sweet, warm, balanced, dark?

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: Sweet, warm, balanced, dark?

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:Thanks everyone for your attempts at answering my question and clueing me into the similar threads. I am still frustrated though. I am not asking the question "how do you describe the color purple." I am asking what specific combinations of red-green-blue are in this shade of purple. This is defined quantitatively for colors of every hue. I may prefer baby blue to burnt orange, that's my personal preference. But I should be able to specifically define each color that is repeatable. Finding verbal descriptors for whether red is raspy or warm is not the point. For example, to say a guitar has balanced tone says nothing to me. To say striking this note creates multiple peaks in these frequencies and suppresses these others seems like a more precise way to describe subtle differences in sound quality.

I'm sure we have some physicists and sound engineers who can solve this and present a repeatable, if somewhat simplified model analogous to the RGB scale for color. It has probably already been done.
Yes, it has as I noted in my post above: specifically the section referring to harmonic content as related to sound character and waveform risetime/decay as related to attack. Another example: playing without nails will produce a warmer sound with less "attack", i.e., fewer higher order harmonics and a slower risetime in the waveform...as in less percussive sound. To measure this, simply record a note and then use a computerized programme to analyze the spectral content...or use a spectrum analyzer app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spectru ... 78884?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/spectru ... 62922?mt=8
Ya that's what I'm tawkin about.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

drmlyung

Post by drmlyung » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:49 am

Yes, it is possible to measure, quantitatively, the property of a note from an instrument. And there are scientific/engineering instrument to do so.

However, which note, on which string, to measure? How many notes to measure? .... to fully described and define a instrument? So that anyone sees the data will see the same "tonic picture" in one's mind?

Jon Gillard
Amateur luthier

Post by Jon Gillard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I'd love it if this were possible, but I suspect that the subtle quality of timbre is not quantifiable in any meaningful way and that what we hear is very subjective and hard to describe, maybe the best we can do is try and know what we like , and seek it out.
Facebook Gillard Guitars
Instagram gillard_guitars

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:54 pm

You've just described a vintage Ramirez 1a... :)
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”