How long does it take you to buy a guitar?

DanManGuitar

How long does it take you to buy a guitar?

Post by DanManGuitar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 pm

When you went guitar shopping, how long did it take you to try out new guitars, and pick the best one? Tell me a story of your buying process. I'm just curious.

powderedtoastman

Re: How long does it take you to buy a guitar?

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 pm

For me, not very long, but I'm a bit impulsive and I have specific tastes.
The last guitar I bought was something where I was sort of waiting for a chance to come along, so when the luthier posted a couple instruments he had available on Facebook, I felt I was quite lucky to have logged in to notice it, and I jumped on it with basically no hesitation. Sent the money on Paypal the same night, guitar arrived the following Saturday, and I have been pleased as punch ever since. No regrets on that one!

The time before that was also a pretty impulsive purchase, I found a Takamine I was interested in at a nearby dealer and played with it for about an hour, and thought it sounded nice at the time. It is very good quality guitar and was a good bargain for the price, but after spending a bit of time with it the sound is just a bit too bassy and boomy for my tastes so I may not keep that one.

Bax Burgess

Post by Bax Burgess » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Usually I am able to make a decision within one hour. Once it came down to a Castellucia and a Picado, the Picado lost that day - too dark, maybe more limited when compared to the Castelluccia's more open qualities. However, the Picado never left my thoughts, it was quite a counterpoint to the Castelluccia, and who doesn't want to have at hand two guitars that have complementary strengths? Two weeks later I went back and bought it. So, short version, one hour to two weeks.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Dan, I think you'll enjoy the link below. Markodarko is a wonderful story-teller.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=96752

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:25 pm

The most amazing guitars I've ever owned were bought after listening to someone play them while I listened over the phone.
Hauser III 2014!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:15 pm

About an hour. I just knew I had to buy my 2004 Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:Dan, I think you'll enjoy the link below. Markodarko is a wonderful story-teller.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=96752

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:59 am

Of course, the goal and constraints of choosing is important. A long time ago a friend asked me to help him choose a guitar. He had a budget. The store had a limited supply. Ten minutes got the best one.
Steve

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:05 am

For me it was pretty easy, especially the guitar I have now. I knew I wanted to buy a beginner flamenco guitar and the store where I bought it, only basically had this one available at a good price, so the decision was really easy. I want to buy a classical guitar some time though.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:58 am

Jack Douglas wrote:The most amazing guitars I've ever owned were bought after listening to someone play them while I listened over the phone.
This was my experience, too! I found my current guitars online, contacted the sellers, arranged for a phone call, had a nice long chat and a good listen, and then made the deal. That did not take long at all. Of course, what did take longer was doing considerable research in advance, to know what guitars I would be interested in, and then waiting until one of them became available for sale. Settling for whatever the local shops had in stock was simply not an acceptable option for me (it is one I tried, but to no avail).

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Jack Douglas wrote:The most amazing guitars I've ever owned were bought after listening to someone play them while I listened over the phone.
This was my experience, too! I found my current guitars online, contacted the sellers, arranged for a phone call, had a nice long chat and a good listen, and then made the deal. That did not take long at all. Of course, what did take longer was doing considerable research in advance, to know what guitars I would be interested in, and then waiting until one of them became available for sale. Settling for whatever the local shops had in stock was simply not an acceptable option for me (it is one I tried, but to no avail).
Glad to know I'm not crazy! Thanks for sharing!
Hauser III 2014!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:49 pm

First one: no time at all as it was a gift from my father at age 12: Harmony.

Second one: 30 minutes at a luthier's shop in Montréal; compared a 1971 Yamaha GC-10 to a 1973 GC-15D. As my wife noted, I wasn't ready to handle the GC-15D. The GC-10 was just right.

Third one: 3 weeks...it was impossible to find one to play, so I scoured the internet for videos (found 6) and asked numerous questions here...then placed an order: Yamaha GC82S. Mind you, it will take at least 7 months to "buy" it as it will not arrive until June.

It would seem that as one ages, decisions take longer and longer... :wink:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Norman2

Post by Norman2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi, It took two weeks to do the research and finally decided on an Almansa 457 , Solid Cedar top, solid indian rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard, Schaller tuners and built in Spain. I found one used at guitar Center in like new condition and bought it for $800.00. The guitar arrived in excellent
shape and it was and is like new. Beautiful instrument, sounds amazing so i think I was lucky. Will not be buying another one in the near future.
Regards
Norman2
Cordoba C9

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:02 pm

If you know what you are looking for in the instrument - material used, scale length,sound projection,play-ability, then it should not take you more than 2 hour allowing for the testing/playing period of those instrument that meet your criteria. This of course applies only if you go to a store that have a good supply of CG - not one that only offer a few models - like Guitar Center stores - and limit their stock to the widely recognized makers. Guitar Center in the other hand has a wide number of very good quality - at times I find Luthier-made- Used CG on their Web site.
Used CG do offer a better opportunity to get a top instrument at a reasonable price vs the same price being asked for new non-luthier made CG.
The one disdvantage is that you cannot try it on the spot but again Guitar Center does take back the instrument at any of their local store - if you don't find it to your qualification with a full return. I alway go to the nearest Guitar Center store to buy a Usue CG I found on their web site from any one their ofther stores nation wide. This way I can returned - if needed - to the same store that took my payment for the instrument.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Much less time than it takes to sell one ;)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”