How long does it take you to buy a guitar?

beanctr

Re: How long does it take you to buy a guitar?

Post by beanctr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 pm

astro64 wrote:Much less time than it takes to sell one ;)
I like to say guitars are easy to buy, hard to sell. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:40 pm

I'm very impulsive and also a collector of some sort. The rest you can figure out for yourself...

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1987 - Curt Claus Voigt
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Guther

Post by Guther » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 pm

One session of about an hour is enough to strengthen the desire to purchase. The tricky part comes in convincing yourself. Then comes the task of convincing the wife.

Many variables at play that can seal the deal quickly or delay the process.
Guther

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:The last time I went CG shopping I found a guitar that I liked, but wasn't in love with. And as I am usually impulsive I decided to wait and think on it. The guitar was an electric CG that I needed for work. Well, I returned the next day, and it was gone.
Turns out I found the same guitar dirt cheap online in another country. So I ordered it. With shipping it was 1/3 the price of the one in my local store. Price was the reason I was hesitant to begin with, so when I saw the same thing on the bay at such a low price, I went for it.
Usually though, I play it for a couple of days in the store before I buy. There isn't a big demand for CG where I am so I tell the shop owner to call me if anyone comes in looking to buy one that I am seriously interested in. At my favorite shop, I can buy and then have 30 days to make up my mind as to whether or not to keep it and really try it at home. That's in case of buyers remorse.

There is also something called seller's remorse. This happened to a person I know who traded her Ramirez in to our favorite local dealer. She really wished she wouldn't have sold it, but by the time she got around to buying her guitar back from the dealer, I had already bought it. I mean, I discovered her Ramirez the evening before around closing time, and I was back the next day, before they opened. That was the fastest I've ever bought a CG. I played it for ten minutes and I knew it was "the one". That was after the store had closed, and I came back the next morning with my Les Paul in tow and traded straight across for it. It is the best CG I have.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 pm

My first guitar took me about an hour. Maybe more if I include the time Kirk Sand of Laguna Guitar Shoppe spent educating me in 1980 on the finer points of construction. I played several guitars way above and below my budget. All Kohno's, Sakarai's, and Dauphin's. Maybe a Ramirez too. After playing the guitars in the $'000's, I played three or four Dauphins that were around my price range and said to myself, "find the one that is most like the Kohno," which I loved, in terms of playability and sound. I think I got a helluva guitar for the price, and I still have it.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Norman2 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:33 pm
Hi, It took two weeks to do the research and finally decided on an Almansa 457 , Solid Cedar top, solid indian rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard, Schaller tuners and built in Spain. I found one used at guitar Center in like new condition and bought it for $800.00. The guitar arrived in excellent
shape and it was and is like new. Beautiful instrument, sounds amazing so i think I was lucky. Will not be buying another one in the near future.
Regards
Norman2
I just want to say Hi to a proud owner of an Almansa 457, being a new owner to a used one circa 2006! :okok:

A short answer the OP question, it took me half a day on Sunday morning to look up online local classical guitars for sale in GTA (Greater Toronto Area), zeroed in to this Almansa 457, Googled reviews and rather impressed with what written online, texted msg to negotiate a selling price and rendez-vous time before coming, tested out and paid for it in the afternoon when happy with its sound! :)

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:05 pm

A long time - about 6 months. During that time, I research available instruments, find some and play them. Once I've decided what maker and model, I want to play different instruments as some are better than others. That is easy with cheaper wimpy guitars, like my Cordoba C3M and Delfy cedar top. That was much harder with my Rodriguez FF Sabicas.

Picking a luthier made guitar took about 1 year. The first step for me was to research luthiers. As for the Gore redwood top, I listened to sound samples of Trevor's work. I compared his work to that of others'. Then I had to formulate my custom specification. Once in negotiations with Trevor, we had a solid spec after about 1 month, maybe less, if my memory serves me correctly.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”