The guitar as an investment

astro64

Re: The guitar as an investment

Post by astro64 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:15 pm

It is all a matter of buying the right instrument at the right time. If the example on the Kohno were replaced by a 1960's Fleta, or a Hauser 1 bought many moons ago, the outcome would likely have been more positive. Most guitars lose value over time. Some hold their value from new on out, if at least some famous (as considered by other guitarists) player(s) use that instrument consistently. The ones that appreciate a lot seem to be few and far between and they better be rare: Torres, Hauser I, maybe Hauser II, early Fleta, Bouchet, early Friederich (the newer ones are already very expensive and it might be hard to predict what the return might be on those, there are many of them)), what else, maybe Garcia, Simpicio, Santos Hernandez, early Romanillos?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:58 pm

Guther wrote:
eyedoc wrote:The only time you want to talk about classical guitars as investments is when you are telling your wife you are getting (yet) another guitar!
I like that strategy, Ron, even if it lands us in the dog house for a bit :evil:
My wife is the greatest! She has never questioned me when I want to buy a guitar. Her reasoning is that I am not " wasting money hanging out in a bar" somewhere. The only time I had to hide a guitar from her was last X-mas, when I bought her one. That was rough. She eventually found out before Christmas when she went into my man cave to vacuum or something. She went in and saw it on the stand. When it came by fed-ex I told her a little white lie and said that I bought myself another guitar. But when she saw it in the stand, and saw it was a lefty, she knew what I really did.

Guther

Post by Guther » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:57 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Guther wrote:
eyedoc wrote:The only time you want to talk about classical guitars as investments is when you are telling your wife you are getting (yet) another guitar!
I like that strategy, Ron, even if it lands us in the dog house for a bit :evil:
My wife is the greatest! She has never questioned me when I want to buy a guitar. Her reasoning is that I am not " wasting money hanging out in a bar" somewhere. The only time I had to hide a guitar from her was last X-mas, when I bought her one. That was rough. She eventually found out before Christmas when she went into my man cave to vacuum or something. She went in and saw it on the stand. When it came by fed-ex I told her a little white lie and said that I bought myself another guitar. But when she saw it in the stand, and saw it was a lefty, she knew what I really did.
Now THAT is a worthy investment and one that creates a lot of happiness :casque:
Guther

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Laudiesdad, how wonderful to have such an understanding wife as yours. You must just smile when you see those "I'd buy your guitar in a heartbeat except my wife would kill/leave me" comments. So how many guitars do you have?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:04 am

I am going to sell yet another one. We need the money for doctors right now. But as soon as I get that situation straightened out I will replace some of what I've lost. Let's see in 2016, I sold a Fender P bass, a Les Paul, a Brian May replica, a Suhr classic, a Kremona, a Rodriguez C3F, a stratocaster, and at the beginning of the year I sold another Les Paul. There was a time a few years ago when I had lots of guitars. Now we just have a few left, me and my wife. If it weren't for my transmission breaking down, I would have probably scored a luthier guitar. But as soon as I decide we have money for a guitar, it will be no problem with my wife. She likes to listen to me play. I have to save a couple so that I can continue to give lessons.

Howie

Post by Howie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:53 pm

I suggest you buy a Dominique Field guitar, I'm sure they will go up in value, and I'm not just saying that because I happen to own one!

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:14 pm

I've always looked at guitars as an investment in my overall health & well being. Playing guitar calms my nerves, relieves stress and lowers my blood pressure. Purchasing a guitar cures my of any GAS issues.

Selling a guitar relieves me of the nagging pain from my wife complaining. I recently sold off a few guitars, so my wife is no longer complaining about "too many guitars" in the house. LOL However, I did recently purchase another guitar, so time will tell about her opinion.

The newest addition brings the total number of guitars in the house to 5, if you include a small steel string travel guitar.

There is only 1 guitar in my possession that will never be sold, it's my Froggy Bottom H-12. All other guitars that I have ever owned are always candidates to be sold depending on my mood, playing desires, etc..

I've rarely sold a guitar for more than what I have paid for it. While I do take care of my guitars, I'm not overly careful with them. Dings and dents are expected when you take your guitars to open mics, gatherings, etc.... My position is that there is some loss of value by my playing and usage.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Howie wrote:I suggest you buy a Dominique Field guitar, I'm sure they will go up in value, and I'm not just saying that because I happen to own one!
I am not aware of anybody buying a Field on the market and then selling at a profit. I certainly don't think there is a predictability in that which would warrant making an investment.

Steve Toscano
Luthier

Post by Steve Toscano » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:00 am

Dave Stott wrote:I've always looked at guitars as an investment in my overall health & well being. Playing guitar calms my nerves, relieves stress and lowers my blood pressure. Purchasing a guitar cures my of any GAS issues.
Spot on!!!
Dave Stott wrote: Selling a guitar relieves me of the nagging pain from my wife complaining. I recently sold off a few guitars, so my wife is no longer complaining about "too many guitars" in the house. LOL However, I did recently purchase another guitar, so time will tell about her opinion.
hahaha, in my experience: wives will always complain about too many guitars when there's more then 1. :shock: . They quickly forget that once you had 10 guitars, and now you only have 5, that's till 4 too many :roll: .

Back on topic: personally I think buying a guitar for a purely financial investment is a rather silly idea. Buy gold bullion instead.
In saying that, one of the guitars I am currently making is for a non player who has commissioned it for 'investment' only. Maybe he knows something I don't. I'm still in 2 minds how i feel about this one, but a commission job is a commission job is dollars to pay the bills.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:08 am

Steve

That means he thinks you are on the way up! I'd take that as a compliment!

Peter

AbrahamPak

Post by AbrahamPak » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 am

So... from my understanding, the steps to making the guitar an investment requires the following steps:

1) Buy a guitar.
2) Become a world renowned guitarist with that guitar.
3)...
4) Sell guitar for a profit.

Is this correct?

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:46 am

No 3 would be "play that guitar for at least 10 to 20 years before trying to sell it." If you try to flip them every year, it won't work very well ;)

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:03 am

astro64 wrote:No 3 would be "play that guitar for at least 10 to 20 years before trying to sell it." If you try to flip them every year, it won't work very well ;)
As it happens I know a few well-known players who will play a new guitar for a couple of years and then flip it at a profit, especially as they are getting it discounted from the luthier (due to "endorsement").

Nothing wrong with that. The buyer gets a "name" guitar that is at least good enough to have been used by the "name", the player profits from his hard work, and the luthier get's his guitars seen.

I haven't really seen this practice add value to the guitar over and above the luthiers usual price, but have seen it prevent excessive resale loss on what is by definition a used instrument.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:23 pm

UKsteve wrote: As it happens I know a few well-known players who will play a new guitar for a couple of years and then flip it at a profit, especially as they are getting it discounted from the luthier (due to "endorsement").
Yes, I knew of one recent GFA winner that was selling the guitar that he won in the competition. The guitar was pretty beat-up and he still wanted over 4K for it.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”