Used kenny hill

gharazz

Used kenny hill

Post by gharazz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:13 am

Anyone know where to find a used Kenny Hill performance? I feel like there are so little of them out there. Is this one of those when you are looking for it you can't find it things? I'm looking for the spruce top. If you know anyone selling a used one please point me in their direction. Thanks in advance.

George Crocket

Re: Used kenny hill

Post by George Crocket » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:56 am

Hi gharazz. Welcome to the forum. Could you please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:15 pm

They show up in Savage Classicals from time to time so either keep an eye out or get in touch and let them know you're looking and maybe they'll find one. It's a start.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

ChristianK

Post by ChristianK » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:53 pm

You can check Kirkpatrick Guitars in Baltimore MD. The website currently shows a spruce and cedar Hill Performance. But might I suggest the Francisco Hernandez, very similar in tone and play to the Performance model but more affordable. My understanding is that Mr. Hernandez builds for Kenny Hill which is evident in the similarities of both guitars.

gharazz

Post by gharazz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:23 am

thanks a lot for the suggestions! I have a used Kenny Hill signature on the way!

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 am

Where did you find it?

Asa Guitar

Post by Asa Guitar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Hello gharazz,
Here is review of Davinort in youtube about Kenny Hill 2012 and Rodriguez 2008. Hope this help you.

"SIMILARITIES: Both guitars are from the Kenny Hill Guitar Company in CA Cedar tops, Indian rosewood hulls. Corum Alliance 500 AR strings. 640mm scale, 51mm nut width, 42mm nut spacing From a tactile viewpoint, these are nearly identical in action and neck profile. Any differences would have to be measured by a micrometer.

DIFFERENCES: The Performance is a double-top, with as cedar outer skin and spruce skin inside, Nomex in between, and lattice bracing. The Rodriguez is a traditional top with traditional fan bracing The strings on the Rodriguez are a couple of days older. Both sets of strings are sufficiently stretched out that slippage isn't an issue. The Performance is 4 1/2 months old, and has about 80 hours playing time. The Rodriguez is 4 years old, and has at least a couple thousand hours playing time.

I have my own opinion of which one l prefer, but I'm very interested in viewer input. The chances are VERY high that one or the other of these will be sold in Autumn once the weather cools down a bit, closet-space is becoming a premium around the house. I opted to sell the Hill Performance, and kept the Hill Rodriguez. prefer the "traditional" sound over the modern double- top lattice sound, though objectively l really believe the Performance was a somewhat better guitar and was certainly more powerful."
1976 Flamenco Masaru Kohno no. 20 Spruce/Cypress
1966 Kuniharu Nobe spruce/Jacaranda

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”