M. Sakurai Guitars?

guitarboyclint

M. Sakurai Guitars?

Post by guitarboyclint » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here. I will be purchasing my second guitar from my friends at GSI. My concert guitar is my Perez Maestro, now I'm looking for my backup. I had them record the Contreras N-2 (which I previously owned), and the new Hauser Córdoba Limited and the Sakurai.

I haven't heard much about Sakurai, I know he will still make guitars under his uncles name with the wood he left behind. However I like sustain and volume with some slight color.

GSI recorded the three here:
https://m.soundcloud.com/stringartistjp ... -samplewav

I liked the sakurai, however one of my friends let me know they're not very good guitars.

Does anyone here play these instruments and what are your thoughts?

dandan

Re: M. Sakurai Guitars?

Post by dandan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:24 am

I wouldn't pay too much attention to your friend's opinion. They are excellent guitars with exceptional build quality and finish. The sound, however, is not traditional. The Kohno designed semi-lattice bracing used by Sakurai produces a piano-like sound, somewhere between traditional and modern lattice. Not to everybody's taste and your friend is entitled to his opinion, but I suspect he is referring to their sound, which is subjective, rather than build quality.
1962 Masaru Kono
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:46 am

I cannot agree with dandan entirely. I don't find the sound of Sakurai guitars at all towards the sound of lattice guitars. He still leaves the tops traditionally thick and to my ears the sound is just one variant on the traditional sound. I owned a Sakurai Kohno (2014??) and the sound was even and balanced with pure trebles. Overall a lovely guitar.

I do agree with dandan one key point: Sakurai-San is a very experienced and highly regarded luthier. Ignore your friend. Frankly, if he says Sakurai does not make very fine guitars then he appears to know little about fine classical guitars.

MOST importantly, trust your own ears. I suggest if you like the sound then buy it.

Regards
Peter

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:52 am

Of the three I liked the Contreas the most.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Chauncey Calvin

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:16 pm

I would have to agree with the other comments that Sakurai makes a great guitar. I personally think that Kohno's and Sakurai's have their own unique sound compared to most other classical guitars as described in the above comments. You should ask yourself what your looking for in your second guitar. Something similar to what you have or something to complement it? That could make it easier to decide.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:10 am

I just bought a 1976 no.5 a month ago in very good price. The bracing is similar as below which sound really a bit different from tranditional fan brace guitar. Try it you may like it.

But I am not sure how the modern brace in today M.Sakurai now. So this post may be useless to you.

Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Yamaha G225

guitarboyclint

Post by guitarboyclint » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:52 am

I appreciate all your feedback. He said poor quality as Tonal qualities. He's a well known musician.

I've had the contreras n2 before my Perez and the n2 I had sounded better.

I did like the idea of the piano sound, as I like sustain, with color and projection.

My Perez is nice as well I'm looking for its counterpart or a new daily so to say.

Any other opinions are welcomed and the sound uptop is there for everyone's ears.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:08 am

guitarboyclint wrote:I appreciate all your feedback. He said poor quality as Tonal qualities. He's a well known musician.

I've had the contreras n2 before my Perez and the n2 I had sounded better.

I did like the idea of the piano sound, as I like sustain, with color and projection.

My Perez is nice as well I'm looking for its counterpart or a new daily so to say.

Any other opinions are welcomed and the sound uptop is there for everyone's ears.
Your friend thinks Sakurai guitars have a poor tonal quality? He might be a well known musician but I am sure there would be many here who think his taste in sound a little doubtful. Of course, it would be interesting to know what his main instrument is.

guitarboyclint

Post by guitarboyclint » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:13 am

More so tonal inconsistines.

But I just wanted to see if I get one if they have good build quality/sound.

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:18 am

Thanks for posting the sound clip, the Sakurai is my fave........I love the warmer, slightly darker tones; yet still clear & balanced across the strings
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:23 am

While i think "tone" can be very subjective; people have different likes where this is concerned but if you're just talking about build quality; Japanese workmanship; its impeccable.....simply unbeatable!!!
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

guitarboyclint

Post by guitarboyclint » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 am

I appreciate it it ! I May revisit looking into GSI's concert j, special or PC.

I just wasn't sure as a cellist Chinese/Japanese cello makers have a bad rap. Mine was a newer Japanese make and did well.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:51 am

guitarboyclint wrote:More so tonal inconsistencies.
Maybe so, but I have absolutely no idea what your friend means by this!

guitarboyclint

Post by guitarboyclint » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:00 am

So they're construction is good and they're good guitars is what I'm looking for compared to any maker are they good guitars. I see various people have them so they can't be too bad

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:29 am

guitarboyclint wrote:So they're construction is good and they're good guitars is what I'm looking for compared to any maker are they good guitars. I see various people have them so they can't be too bad
Just go & play, feel the instrument & hear/see for yourself......then you know for sure
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”