Any suggestions for $2000 guitar?

Jerome

Any suggestions for $2000 guitar?

Post by Jerome » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:48 am

I am a high school student in Hong Kong :) , learning classical guitar for about six years,readying for diploma exam of ABRSM, but I haven't changed the guitar since I first learn. My teacher strongly advised me to buy Japanese guitar, Sakuai, which is too expansive for my budget($2000) .
As I mentioned, I would like to buy a new or used guitar under usd$2000, both cerdar and spruse top is okay for me, I like playing classical style instead of accoustic, (I don't want a guitar for strumming) I have done some research on the internet, also found some advice from this forum, but I am still not sure which is actually better. I found the following guitars which caught my mind.
Jose ramariez 130(a little bit over $2000)
Jose ramariez 4NE
Loriente clarita
Giambattista g6
Cervantes guitars

Are they good or bad? Which is better?
It will be very helpful if anyone can give me some more suggestions,
BTW, I have never tried any of those guitars, since it's difficult to travel around from Hong Kong to places like spain .
Thanks a lot :D
Last edited by Jerome on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

petermc61

Re: Any suggestions for $2000 guitar?

Post by petermc61 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:03 am

I can understand not buying a Sakurai because it is too expensive, but not simply because it is Japanese. I suspect it may well sound better than any of the other guitars you have listed.

Jerome

Post by Jerome » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:16 am

Oh that's just because my first guitar from Japan cracked after I bought it for a month, just a personal preference, not saying it's a bad instrument. Sorry for misleading that. Can you give me some suggestions or advice of $2000 guitar for me? :wink:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:24 am

Jerome wrote:Oh that's just because my first guitar from Japan cracked after I bought it for a month, just a personal preference, not saying it's a bad instrument. Sorry for misleading that.
But do you have any suggestions or advice for me?
Thanks so much for pointing that out.
My advice would be not to attribute that problem you experienced to all Japanese guitars. Generally, you will get very well built and reliable guitars out of Japan. Cracks are more likely to occur due to change in weather conditions (particularly humidity) and this can (and does) happens to guitars built anywhere and by ANY luthier.

Frankly, I would look for an older Sakurai (say 1980s) - occasionally you see these in nice condition for around US$2,000. If this does not suit then my general advice would still be to buy a good used luthier guitar. This means if you need to sell it most of the depreciation has already occurred. If you buy new and need to sell you will probably lose 40% of what you paid. Lastly, because of this you just get better value for money buying used.

Regards
Peter

Jerome

Post by Jerome » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:51 am

:merci: Thanks so much

MaritimeGuitarist

Post by MaritimeGuitarist » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:09 pm

I've played both the Ramirez guitars you've mentioned (I own a 4E) and can say they are both decent student instruments. Not sure about the rest. I agree that purchasing a used luthier-built guitar would be a great option, but, here in Canada at least, it is extremely difficult to find even a used one for $2000.

If you are going to go with Ramirez, take a look at the lower models. I've got quite a bit of experience with them and have found that the differences between the lower and upper student models don't really justify the price increase. I would also say that Ramirez guitars in general, though fine instruments, tend to be a little over-priced for what you get.

Jerome

Post by Jerome » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Which model is better for the lower models?
Ofcourse it can be other brands, I'm not intended for Ramirez :o

MaritimeGuitarist

Post by MaritimeGuitarist » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Try a 1ne or 2ne.

I've played on countless student model guitars in the $1000-$3000 (CDN dollars) price range including various models from Ramirez, Raimundo, Aparicio, Hirade, Austurias, Yairi, Almansa, Alhambra, Cordoba, etc. I found that none of them really stand out over the others as being a vastly superior instrument. All, for the most part, were well built guitars that would satisfy the needs of most intermediate-advanced students. There were, of course, differences in the sound and playability of each, but nothing really remarkable.

Again, I do agree that trying to find a used luthier-built concert quality guitar in your price range would be best--if you can find one. When you get your hands on a good concert quality guitar you will notice a HUGE difference in sound. That's probably why your teacher recommended a Sakurai. I think petermc made a good suggestion in finding a used one.

Jerome

Post by Jerome » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Actually I've tried sakuai once, it really felt like amazing, I never played anything like that before, but really... it's just too expansive for me to buy, maybe I'll try to find a used one, but it's so hard to find one under 2000.
Anyways thanks for your help :D

Bax Burgess

Post by Bax Burgess » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Concerning the Giambattista G6 and a Alejandro Cervantes, I compared a G6b (2,400 US - prettier looking woods than the G6) to a 2,000 US Cervantes (not his crossover model) and judged that the G6b was easily the clearer sounding of the two, without being harsh in any sense.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Jerome! What is your current guitar? Do you want to buy the guitar in a local store, or online from Hong Kong only, or China, or import it from another country? Is it a problem in Hong Kong to import guitars with rosewood? I would avoid to import a new factory guitar from somewhere in the world because part of your budget will be spent on import taxes and shipment costs. Are there any good internet addresses in Hong Kong beside the bay and taobao?
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Jerome

Post by Jerome » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:55 pm

andreas777 wrote:Hi Jerome! What is your current guitar? Do you want to buy the guitar in a local store, or online from Hong Kong only, or China, or import it from another country? Is it a problem in Hong Kong to import guitars with rosewood? I would avoid to import a new factory guitar from somewhere in the world because part of your budget will be spent on import taxes and shipment costs. Are there any good internet addresses in Hong Kong beside the bay and taobao?
Hi Andreas,
My current guitar is actually not that good, not well- known brand from Korea, I haven't changed it for about five years, it's ceder top but poorly built.
I am hoping to collect more informations about guitars, then I will travel to other countries for buying guitar. Also, I have asked guitar salon international, they confirmed that all guitars can ship to Hong Kong. Of course, I won't order in taobao, which isn't a great place to buy guitar (there are many fake products).
There are only a few(2-3)local guitar stores, which only sale high end-guitars (over 8000). I would prefer to buy guitar from other countries.
I do believe that Hong Kong do not have import tax (not too sure about it),or even it has, the tax rate won't be too high.but I am quite sure that rosewood won't cause any problem for shipping.
Btw, have anyone tried both loriente clarita and giambattista g6? Which is better?

Semitone

Post by Semitone » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:09 am

I have a Ramirez 4E and really like it. It is the precurser to the current 4NE model. In the US , you can find used 4E's for under $2000 but I have no idea about the price in your area. I would certainly put it on your list of potential instruments that might work for you. I think it has that classic "spanish" sound.

I haven't played a Ramirez 130 or 125 ( older version) but I have seen plenty of people write positively about them.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:09 am

I recommend either the Ramirez 130Anos or the 4NE from the list your provided. I have both and I can say that I prefer both of them to many other guitars I have played/owned. They are consistent, good playability and sound beautiful with the right strings. I have owned and played lots of other guitars and I would rather keep my Ramirez than most of the others. That being said, I love the Ramirez sound. So, I am obviously biased and both the 130Anos and 4NE have some of that classic Ramirez sound in a relatively decent price. The build quality is good on both guitars. If you search around enough, I have written plenty of posts on them in the forum here.

My recommendation is to play them of course. If you have to order online, my advice is to order from Spain. Both these Ramirez are ridiculously overpriced in the US for some reason. They are cheaper in Canada and Spain, by far.

Good luck!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 am

Jerome wrote:... maybe I'll try to find a used one, ....
For value, it is almost impossible to beat a used one.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”