Any suggestions for $2000 guitar?

Jerome

Re: Any suggestions for $2000 guitar?

Postby Jerome » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks so much for providing informations,
I would really like to get some ideas about the loriente clarita, because I found a guitarist always a playing it called Michael Lucarelli. He uses loriente clarita ceder top for almost all of his videos in YouTube. The guitar sounds rich and smooth, do anyone tried that before?

andreas777

Postby andreas777 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Jerome wrote:I would prefer to buy guitar from other countries.

I have some Asturias guitars from Japan from the 1980ies and 90ies, for example the John Mills models and the Customs model. I think they are of good quality and are often sold for a fraction of it's original price. Maybe you can find a used one in Japan.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

edcat7

Postby edcat7 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Jerome,

Have you tried a Yu Long Guo? As I understand they are popular with conservatory students. They are also occasionally seen second hand for good prices on the big on-line auction site.

Pity I didn't see this thread earlier, I traded my YLG for another guitar this week.

Ed
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

nmshu1

Postby nmshu1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Jerome wrote:Thanks so much for providing informations,
I would really like to get some ideas about the loriente clarita, because I found a guitarist always a playing it called Michael Lucarelli. He uses loriente clarita ceder top for almost all of his videos in YouTube. The guitar sounds rich and smooth, do anyone tried that before?

Based on your level, the guitar availability and your guitar teacher's experience, I think maybe your teacher' s advice is correct.
Last edited by nmshu1 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650 / Juan Hernandez Torres 640 / German V. Rubio Concert 635
Kenny Hill Performance 630 / Córdoba C9 650 / Sweet Tone 640

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:29 am

Maybe I will try the second hand market, but I'm not sure which website should I use for buying a used?
Any suggestions?

AntonioMartinsPereira

Postby AntonioMartinsPereira » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:42 am

:desole:

AntonioMartinsPereira

Postby AntonioMartinsPereira » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:44 am

Jerome,

I'm also thinking about getting a new guitar and I put some questions to the forum, and I got some very interesting and useful replies that might also be useful for you.

I suggest you see these answers in the topic "2500€ for buying a guitar: Amalio Burguet, Juan Hernandez, Esteves, or...?"

Greetings.

Semitone

Postby Semitone » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:25 pm

I've met very few people who have owned a Ramirez student guitar and been unhappy with them. In my experience most of the people who complain about them, aren't owners and their primary gripe is that they are too expensive " for what they are".

In my view, what is expensive is buying a guitar you don't like, then selling it, buying another, selling it and so on chasing something you may never get.

If you really like the Ramirez sound, and the playability of the guitar works for you... even if it costs you a little more to get there the first time then, it'll be cheaper ( and less aggravating) in the long term.
Last edited by Semitone on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

khayes

Postby khayes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Semitone wrote:I've met very few people who gave owned a Ramirez student guitar and been unhappy with them. In my experience most of the people who complain about them, aren't owners and their primary gripe is that they are too expensive " for what they are".

In my view, what is expensive is buying a guitar you don't like, then selling it, buying another, selling it and so own chasing something you may never get.

If you really like the Ramirez sound, and the playability of the guitar works for you... if it costs you a little more to get there the first time then, it'll be cheaper ( and less aggravating) in the long term.

So true, Semitone.
Ken

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:06 am

If you are going to consider a Ramirez 125 (0lder) or 130 an~os, you might want to take a look at an R4 Ramirez. I compared the R4 next to a 125 an~os, and they are basically the same guitar with different Rosettes and tie blocks. They both had similar neck profile and fret size, were both solid wood guitars and had the same style tuners.

I went with the 125 because it was used and I was able to trade an electric guitar straight across for it. Price for the used 125 was 1500 USD. Price for the R4 new was 2199 USD, which is still a bargain for a brand new one. The 4NE that I have was purchased new for 2199 US, and they normally sell new for about 2900 US dollars. But it had been on the dealer's wall for a few years and he lowered the price from 2999 down to 2199.

I had originally planned on getting the R4, but it had to go back to Ramirez twice to get the bridge reglued, so rather than wait for it for over two months, I went with the 4NE instead.
The 4NE is their top student model, and you can find them used for a little less than 2000 at least here in the states.

I think someone said earlier that the Ramirez guitars are a little high priced in the US, and they are if you pay what most dealers price them at. I thought my 4NE was a bargain at $2199. That's 800 dollars less than what most dealers sell them for as new. And mine was a new guitar, never owned, and it just hung up in the shop since 2011 and he slashed the prices to get em moved. He still has the R4, and had my transmission not needed an overhaul, I would have bought it as well. I am very happy with all of my Ramirez as they were all great bargains when I bought them.

One Ramirez that you might look into if you like spruce is the George Harrison. They have discontinued this, but there are some still currently available. They will run you more than 2000 though, unless you find one used.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:54 am

Jerome wrote:Maybe I will try the second hand market, but I'm not sure which website should I use for buying a used?
Any suggestions?

Check the thread on "Reputable Dealers" as there are many listed on that thread with links to their websites.

Also, if you might be interested in the R4 Ramirez that I was talking about earlier, check out McKenzie River Music's site. He has the R4 listed on his site, but I don't think the price is right. He actually lowered the price to $2199. And it's brand new with full warranty.

Scott

David Conti

Postby David Conti » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:06 am

You can find a great Cervantes, or even the new Yulong Guo double top for under 2k
The Ramirez are usually made by esteve or Alhambra, not at the Ramirez shops themselves.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:41 am

[quote="Philosopherguy"]I recommend either the Ramirez 130Anos or the 4NE from the list your provided. I have both and I can say that I prefer both of them to many other guitars I have played/owned. They are consistent, good playability and sound beautiful with the right strings. I have owned and played lots of other guitars and I would rather keep my Ramirez than most of the others. That being said, I love the Ramirez sound. So, I am obviously biased and both the 130Anos and 4NE have some of that classic Ramirez sound in a relatively decent price. The build quality is good on both guitars. If you search around enough, I have written plenty of posts on them in the forum here.

My recommendation is to play them of course. If you have to order online, my advice is to order from Spain. Both these Ramirez are ridiculously overpriced in the US for some reason. They are cheaper in Canada and Spain, by far.

Good luck [quote]

I wonder what a 4NE goes for new these days. I bought mine new last year and paid $2199 for it. It was an older guitar that had hung on the wall since 2011. But it was in perfect shape with no issues. I finally have 2 types of strings that work for it, I mean make it sound really good. I thought it was a really good deal, but I wonder what that guitar went for in 2011? I think that they go for $2999 new these days, but what did they go for then?

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:38 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
I wonder what a 4NE goes for new these days. I bought mine new last year and paid $2199 for it. It was an older guitar that had hung on the wall since 2011. But it was in perfect shape with no issues. I finally have 2 types of strings that work for it, I mean make it sound really good. I thought it was a really good deal, but I wonder what that guitar went for in 2011? I think that they go for $2999 new these days, but what did they go for then?

I'm not quite sure what they retail for down in the US, but I know it was fairly high when I saw in the past. Ramirez has had quite a bit of inflation in their Canadian prices lately. When I got my 130Anos in 2012 it was $1999 and at the time the 4NE was $2499 (or was it $2399... one of the two anyways). Today, I think the last I heard the 130Anos was around $2799 and the 4NE was around $3199 or $3299 or something like that. Someone might be able to correct me on these prices, but I think that is what I saw. I know it's quite a bit more then what I paid 5 years ago! Then again, the Canadian dollar has tanked quite a bit since 5 years ago. If you covert those Canadian prices to US, the 130Anos is around $2090 and the 4NE would be around $2387 to $2460, or something around there. To these prices you have to add tax, of course, so you add another 13%. Last I heard the 130Anos was around $2500US, which would be rather high in comparison to the Canadian prices. At a popular European site, you can get the new version of the 130Anos called the Guitarra Del Tiempo for 1649Eur, which would be $2341 Canadian or $1747US (In Canada it is likely not worth it to import given the extra border costs... but it might be worth it in the US). So, Ramirez in the US is still too high no matter how you slice it. Then again, being able to test a guitar before buying is always a good thing.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:39 am

Jerome wrote:Maybe I will try the second hand market, but I'm not sure which website should I use for buying a used?
Any suggestions?

There was a recent post that listed reputable dealers.
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”