Hiscox Pro II or Artist, medium or large

APK

Hiscox Pro II or Artist, medium or large

Post by APK » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide on which Hiscox case to purchase for my Sakurai-Kohno Pro J. Earlier I posted questions about my search but a new issue has arisen. Here, then, is my new question: is it better to have the medium size case and to have the guitar crush the pads slightly for a tight fit? Or is it better to have the large size case and insert the pads that Hiscox supplies to keep the guitar stable in the case? The salesperson suggests the latter for the reason that less shock will be transferred to the guitar in case of… the unthinkable. He indicates that the large size classical case is what he supplies for all of the Ramirez 1A guitars that he sells and, if I understand, the Pro J is very similar to the 1A in its dimensions.

Also, would you suggest the Pro II or Artist line?

I'm grateful for any advice that you have to offer.

Thanks,
APK

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Re: Hiscox Pro II or Artist, medium or large

Post by James Lister » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:45 pm

The Artist cases are a bit on the heavy side, and only really worth the extra money if you do a lot of travelling with your guitar. Difficult to recommend a size without knowing the exact dimensions of the guitar, but I tend to go for a fairly tight fit, as the pads compress a bit over time, so if they're loose when new, with time the guitar might not be held firmly.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:04 pm

As far as the size of case is concerned it is helpful to know the guitar's measurements but according to an advert on a dealer's website a 2007 Kohno Guitars Professional J has a lower bout measurement of 14.5 inches (you need to check this). I have a guitar with the same lower bout measurements and it is a very nice snug fit in the Hiscox Pro II Large case, crushing the pads sufficiently to give good resilient support. The case is about a year old and the pads seem to be holding up very well so far.

I also have a guitar with a 15" lower bout size (actually 1 millimeter over) and that also fits into the Large case - just.

You don't have to "insert the pads" in the Hiscox case - they are already built into the case.

Incidentally, the Hiscox website has the maximum lower bout size for each case/size.

I can't comment on Pro II vs Artist.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Semitone

Post by Semitone » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm

If your Sakurai is a 650mm scale then most likely the lower bout is 370mm. I think you'll find a 1a is slightly larger.

I have a Sakurai 640mm scale and the lower bout is slightly smaller than the norm. I personally spent way too much time going over the Proii/ Artist, size question. In the end I decided I preferred the extra padding of the Artist and the fit just seemed better, overall for the size of my guitar, however, I hated that it cost so much more :(. In any event, I originally decided to pay up ( for a couple reasons, 1) my guitar was expensive, and 2) in the long run, I wouldn't miss that money as much as I would be bugged not buying what I wanted the first time around)

My decision was to be...wait for a "sale" on the Artist case and get the one that was a better fit. ( on paper the Artist fit better, than the Pro-ii, not too big, not too small, just right. Met the pad but didn't squish it. IIRC. Squishing the pad too much would defeat some of the purpose in my mind).

However, in the end I ended up getting a custom made case for free, so, thats my anticlimactic ending. :)

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:58 pm

My 2004 Sakurai-Kohno Pro-J fits very well in the medium size Pro II. No need for any additional pads!

The Artist cases features higher crush resistance by means of a thicker foam and shell at almost identical outer dimensions, why the Large size will be neccessary.

The Medium Artist case will definitely not fit, as the Pro-J's lower bout is close to the max. width of the Medium Pro II.

APK

Post by APK » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:02 pm

Thank you James, JohnB, Semitone, and es335 for your feedback. For what it’s worth, the dimensions of the Pro J are 14.5 inch lower bout and 11.25 inch upper bout.

What you write, James, makes good sense.

It’s interesting, JohnB, that your guitar with the 14.5 inch lower bout fits snugly into the Hiscox Pro II Large case, given that the measurement for the lower bout, as listed on the Hiscox website, is 15”. That should leave a quarter of an inch on each side. But your indication that what Hiscox lists is the maximum lower bout size for each case does clear up that discrepancy.

That’s a nice story, Semitone. Please let me know if you see any free cases in my future!

Your clarification, es335, of the relationship between Pro II and Artist cases is also extremely helpful.

I’m about ready to go shopping! Thank you all again.

But first, one more thread…

Best,
A

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:47 pm

APK wrote:It’s interesting, JohnB, that your guitar with the 14.5 inch lower bout fits snugly into the Hiscox Pro II Large case, given that the measurement for the lower bout, as listed on the Hiscox website, is 15”. That should leave a quarter of an inch on each side. But your indication that what Hiscox lists is the maximum lower bout size for each case does clear up that discrepancy.
Just one further thought that illustrate the tolerance of the Hiscox Pro II pads for different sized instruments. Last year I bought a Anna Maria Espinosa Rodrguez from a dealer and it was delivered by a carrier in a Hiscox Pro II Large case (with bubble wrap supporting the headstock and the case wrapped all over in a layer of bubble wrap, topped with black plastic sheet). The guitar had a lower bout of 14 1/8 inches and it arrived in perfect condition.

I'm not suggesting that the Large case is an ideal match for that size of instrument (the Medium size would be my choice) - just that the built in pads did their job even in that situation.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”