Has anyone heard of "Milestones of Music" guitars?

iKenndac

Has anyone heard of "Milestones of Music" guitars?

Post by iKenndac » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new classical guitar (my current one is the cheapest I could find in the store a few years ago, and sounds horrible).

I spent a couple of hours in my local guitar store on Sunday and, after trying various Alhambras and the like, was recommended a guitar I've never heard of before: a Milestones of Music "Madrid" 1A in cedar. And… it was amazing! Of the 6 guitars I tried on the day, my top two were both cedar guitars — the first this, and the second an Alhambra 8P.

The problem is, I can't find any information on this guitar online. It seems like a German company that designs it and they get assembled in China. The cost of this guitar is 17500 Swedish crowns, which is ~$2,000. Unfortunately, the one in the store was quite scratched up (apparently due to it having a very fragile finish to help the sound), and they won't be able to get me a new one for several months. They did offer a discount, though.

My second favourite, the Alhambra 8P, is quite a lot cheaper and is from a make I can find information and support for. I really loved the Milestones of Music guitar, but I'm kind of put off by it being a no-name Chinese brand.

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Annette

Re: Has anyone heard of "Milestones of Music" guitars?

Post by Annette » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi,
- There's an interisting site by Milestones guitars: Just search for "milestones of music"
- And in youtube searching for "interview with Wolfgang Jellinghaus" you will also some find some information about this company and the guitars.
Hope this will help a little bit!
Yours Annette

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:51 am

Some dealers state that these guitars are manufactured in a small workshop in China by experienced luthiers!
They seem to offer real good value for the money with all solid woods, french polish and with ball bearing tuners.

The video comparison of their models is quite interesting!

iKenndac

Post by iKenndac » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Thank you for the replies! Today I returned to my guitar store to play the Alhambra 8P and Milestones of Music guitars again.

The Alhambra certainly had a more 'brand new!' look to it - very shiny and perfect. However, the Milestones guitar looks more 'handmade' and interesting, and certainly felt a lot more special to play. After seeing the website and listening to that interesting interview with the creator I was much happier about its origins, and pulled the trigger on the Milestones guitar.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:05 pm

iKenndac wrote:Thank you for the replies! Today I returned to my guitar store to play the Alhambra 8P and Milestones of Music guitars again.

The Alhambra certainly had a more 'brand new!' look to it - very shiny and perfect. However, the Milestones guitar looks more 'handmade' and interesting, and certainly felt a lot more special to play. After seeing the website and listening to that interesting interview with the creator I was much happier about its origins, and pulled the trigger on the Milestones guitar.
If you loved the sound of the guitar, you can't go wrong. Even if it wasn't as shiny and pretty, it is often just the sound of your guitar that compels you to sit for hours in your practice chair! Better to take the one whose sound you love than wait for a brand new one that may or may not have the sound you love. :casque:
Happy New Guitar Day!
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 pm

The milestones brand is for sale in Germany. I have not seen them personally but a friend who has seen them thought they were pretty good. I think Leo Asprey who is a member here has also had a look at them in Duesseldorf or somewhere near there. The well known Siccas guitar shop in Karlsruhe has them as well.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:03 am

Congrats, I'll be interested to know how you like it after having it for a while!

I am personally somewhat interested in Torres models, and even more interested in Romantic guitars, both of which they make.

Unfortunately I don't find their romantic guitar very appealing though, especially for the price I've seen it listed for. I think the aesthetic is just slightly off in so many places that add up for me to not like it. In the market for that sort of thing, I'd rather pay the extra chunk of change to have a luthier build something more authentic and get to have my own choices on things.

Their Torres model looks quite good to me on the other hand, and if I was in the market for one I'd at least consider it, though I do think there are also probably options in that segment that would be a better value for what you pay.

iKenndac

Post by iKenndac » Sun May 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi everyone!

I've had this guitar a month and a half now, and what a palava it was at the beginning! I had the shop put some simple electronics in it for practicing with headphones when it's noisy in the house, and when I went back to collect it the guitar had developed a really nasty buzz when playing an E on the 4th string. I took it back and the shop had it in for a few days, eventually calling back and admitting defeat. However, when I went back the buzz was mostly fixed and can only be triggered if you're really trying to.

So, I took the guitar home and started playing. Six weeks later, I love this thing — beautiful sound and a really nice feel. I'm making decent progress in my practice, and I'm looking forward to picking up a decent mic to record it with instead of using the one built into my webcam. The only buzz I can make happen is making the strings rattle against the frets by misfingering or otherwise playing badly.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:29 pm

I just looked at the milestones website. Apparently English is not their first language. Lots of spelling and grammatical errors. I would think they would care more about their website. It just doesn't look very legit when they spell French "Frensh" eight times in a row. They seem rather expensive, especially if they are made in China.

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon May 29, 2017 5:45 pm

lagartija wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:05 pm

If you loved the sound of the guitar, you can't go wrong. Even if it wasn't as shiny and pretty, it is often just the sound of your guitar that compels you to sit for hours in your practice chair! Better to take the one whose sound you love than wait for a brand new one that may or may not have the sound you love. :casque:
Happy New Guitar Day!
Wonderfully put and I think that's excellent advice.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”