Selling guitars by Amateur/ new luthier

James Lister
Luthier

Re: Selling guitars by Amateur/ new luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:53 am

Jon Gillard wrote:Thanks James, any festivals you would recommend specifically? Must get a video sorted out soon.
West Dean is pretty good - because they have an open day so you only need to be there for the one day, which tends to be quite busy. Festivals where you're exhibiting for the whole week can be tiring, and there's a lot of standing around not doing much (except talking to other luthiers).

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:19 am

vesa wrote:3 things you have to know:
What is the level of your guitars?
What is your marked (professionals or amateurs?) ?
What's the price?

If you are not able to evaluate it yourself:

1. Begin with small steps: Contact the guitar teacher(he/she has to be a pro not a part timer) in your local music school, make an appointment and ask her/him to play and evaluate your guitar. ....
This is all very true and I've had luthiers here with guitars a few times. The only thing I'd add, for the UK detail, is that most teachers do not work through a music school as such, rather they either work through a local music service, or privately at home. I guess the OP knows that, but just in case of confusion...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

vesa

Post by vesa » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:24 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
The only thing I'd add, for the UK detail, is that most teachers do not work through a music school as such, rather they either work through a local music service, or privately at home.
Good point Stephen.
Well organized professional teaching is mostly (as a rule) arranged in that way in Scandinavia maybe in some other countries too and in private studios, regular schools or other places in other countries, after all we are on line in WWW. :D
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Jon Gillard
Amateur luthier

Post by Jon Gillard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks I agree entirely, seeing local teacher and some pupils next month to get the ball rolling.
Facebook Gillard Guitars
Instagram gillard_guitars

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”