Ordered Alhambra 7p got 2015 Fiftieth Anniversary Rosewood

kavor

Ordered Alhambra 7p got 2015 Fiftieth Anniversary Rosewood

Post by kavor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Hello,
I decided to order a nice classical guitar. Looking online, I picked Alhambra 7 p.

The guitar arrived today. However, its 2015 50'th anniversary model signed by luthier. It sounds fantastic to me. Never heard such guitar before.

Nevertheless, its not what I ordered. I could return this and ask for another guitar. My question is: would 2016/2017 7 p model be superior/more valuable in terms of quality and design. I read there have been improvements since 2015 till now.

What would you guys recommend I do? I ordered this from guitar center at 20% discount. I really like the guitar but...there are some questions in my mind. Have I been screwed over?

Thanks

Kavor

guitarseller345645

Re: Ordered Alhambra 7p got 2015 Fiftieth Anniversary Rosewood

Post by guitarseller345645 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:15 am

If you go to the "Guitar From Spain" website and look at the 7P, it sort of gives the impression that the 7P was renamed from the Rosewood 50th Anniversary. If it were me, I would prefer the 50th Anniversary.

IIRC the progression is like this, through the years: 7C/7P, 7C/7P(A) with no ced/rw model, 50th Anni with various models, then 7C Classic/7P Classic.

Or I may be totally wrong :)
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:23 am

An anniversary model is certainly more desirable than a run-of-the-mill 7P. keep it.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

kavor

Post by kavor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:48 am

Thank you guys, I can't keep away from this guitar. I think I will keep it.

Norman2

Post by Norman2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:51 am

Hi, I would call you crazy if you didn't keep the 50th anniversary . That is a signature guitar and was built by a team of special luthiers by Alhambra to
commemorate their 50 th anniversary. Keep it . Regards
Norman2
Cordoba C9

markj

Post by markj » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:00 am

Sounds like you got a nice bonus! Enjoy it.

And post some photos!

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:45 pm

kavor wrote:Thank you guys, I can't keep away from this guitar. I think I will keep it.
And that, young man, is the best reason to keep this or any guitar. :wink:
The name on the label only gets you so far, whatever the label.
Enjoy your new guitar.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

kavor

Post by kavor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:06 pm

There seems to be consensus. Well, I did talk to GC and the guy said he would discount the 9 P for me if I wanted to return this one.

I really don't want to part with it. But it makes me wonder, if this one sounds so good, would 9 P sound even better? It is lauded for more projection and its body is wider. Its handmade rather than factory made like 7p or anniversary.

The 9 p would cost me about $1700 and 7P cost is about $1000 with discount. I know 50th anniversary is plenty guitar for me even too much. However, I am being tempted. The voice inside my head is saying: 9 P would sound majestic for some reason. But $700 is decent chunk of change.

Are you guys faced with these types of quandaries?

Muchos gracias

Kavor

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:55 pm

kavor wrote:There seems to be consensus. Well, I did talk to GC and the guy said he would discount the 9 P for me if I wanted to return this one.

I really don't want to part with it. But it makes me wonder, if this one sounds so good, would 9 P sound even better? It is lauded for more projection and its body is wider. Its handmade rather than factory made like 7p or anniversary.

The 9 p would cost me about $1700 and 7P cost is about $1000 with discount. I know 50th anniversary is plenty guitar for me even too much. However, I am being tempted. The voice inside my head is saying: 9 P would sound majestic for some reason. But $700 is decent chunk of change.

Are you guys faced with these types of quandaries?

Muchos gracias

Kavor
Please remember that factory guitars are somewhat inconsistent in sound quality. More expensive model usually translates to more expensive material not necessarily sound quality. There is a decent chance that the 9P model will not sound better than your current guitar, just looks more expensive.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Keep it play it, enjoy it.

drmlyung

Post by drmlyung » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:20 pm

MessyTendon wrote:Keep it play it, enjoy it.
+1

John higgon
Amateur luthier

Post by John higgon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:15 pm

"It sounds fantastic to me. Never heard such guitar before."

Keep it, keep it, keep it!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:35 pm

I doubt very much the 9P is "more handmade" than the 7p.... Don't let the mind play tricks on you. If you are curious, go play the 9p next to your guitar and then just decide on which appeals more to you. If you don't have that opportunity, stick with the good guitar you got and stop wondering...

kavor

Post by kavor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 am

Thank you really for all the advice. I could buy both and return one but I am just little lazy to do that. :)

One reason that tickles my mind in this direction is the fact I am a chemist. I have dealt with polymer chemistry for awhile now. Not expert on polyurethanes and nitro finishes, however, I cannot ignore the fact that most high end guitars have nitro finish. The difference between 7p and above is that they claim that 1. 7p is factory made 2. 7p has poly finish and models above have nitro.

From scientific standpoint, nitrocellulose is brittle but is mixed with plasticiezers/solvents/additives to make it softer. It comes in different grades. Dow blends it with different coatings to arrive at superior properties...But polyurethane from chemical standpoint is totally different beast. What boggles my mind is that in different applications these two coatings are used in combination. You can add some isocynate to generate polyurethane function in the coating...or apply one after another but in guitar world they SEEM TO ME to be incompatible.

Now, my question is: Is there some element of sound that I am sacrificing by choosing polyurethane coated guitar? This might be like cliche topic, but do I must ask, can you guys hear the difference? Is the guitar with nitro finish more resonant, loud, with more overtones etc. than the one with poly finish? Thanks in advance

Kavor

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:48 am

Most high end classical guitars actually have French polish, not nitro. This is particularly so for the soundboard.

I think the most important thing is having a very thin finish. You can probably apply both nitro and poly too thickly if not careful. Given you build FP up I can't imagine anybody who knows how to polish doing the same.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”