Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

User avatar
superheavydeathmetal
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by superheavydeathmetal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Hey, guys. I am looking to purchase my first nylon-stringed guitar. I have my options narrowed down to 3:

used Alvarez Yairi CY-140 - @$900 (Cedar Top)
new Pavan TP-20 - $1350
new Pavan TP-30 - $1770

Babbling: While I am new to nylon, I have been playing guitar for about 15 years, so I willing to spend some coin to get a nice instrument because I know it isn't something I am going to get bored with and throw in a closet. Being a lefty, I do not have the problem of an overwhelming selection to choose from, but I am also not afforded the luxury of being able to try before I buy. I have about decided on the Alvarez as I think it is the best value. I have found other new guitars, such as Godin, Navarro, Taylor, but I get the feeling the Pavan is a better value when buying new. There is also the composite route, but the only lefty nylon I can find is the Rainsong El Capitan, but that will run me over $3000, and it seems unnecessary to spend that much.

Like I said, I have about decided on the Alvarez (even though I suspect I would rather have a Spruce top), but if anyone has any thoughts or other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!
There are never enough hours in the day to play.

Ramon Amira
Teacher
Posts: 2888
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 am
Location: New York City

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Definitely the Alvarez Yairi CY140. One of the best looking and best sounding factory guitars I have ever played. The price is right if it's not too old. You didn't mention the year. But no matter, whatever year it's better than the Pavans.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

User avatar
superheavydeathmetal
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by superheavydeathmetal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:00 pm

The seller has not specified the year, but indicates it is in very good condition, with only the slight fingernail wear that is to be expected.

Thanks, Ramon!
There are never enough hours in the day to play.

User avatar
andreas777
Posts: 373
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by andreas777 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:34 pm

Many right handed guitars can be changed to left handed without much effort and costs. You have to verify that the bracing is symmetric and the nut is removable. Then you can replace the nut (plus saddle, dependent on its form) and put on the strings the other way round.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

User avatar
superheavydeathmetal
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by superheavydeathmetal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:37 am

Ramon Amira wrote:Definitely the Alvarez Yairi CY140. One of the best looking and best sounding factory guitars I have ever played. The price is right if it's not too old. You didn't mention the year. But no matter, whatever year it's better than the Pavans.

Ramon
Thanks, Ramon! I don't know the year.

The seller has it listed as having a solid Mahogany back and sides, but from my research, it has laminate Brazilian Rosewood (a.k.a. Jacaranda), whereas the Pavans have solid back and sides. Laminate is fine by me, though. I am not an elitist! Whatever sounds better is the winner in my book! I am just about ready to snatch up that CY140!
There are never enough hours in the day to play.

Joe de V
Posts: 1848
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:34 am
Location: Northern California USA

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by Joe de V » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:21 pm

I have not played or heard playing the Alvarez Yari CY140 but at a Used price of at least less than $450. from the lowest priced Pavan - which I have heard and played twice at a friend house, I suspect that this CY140 would have cost new close to the highest priced Pavan.
If the Yari CY140 is in good overarll condition I would go for it.

User avatar
superheavydeathmetal
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by superheavydeathmetal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Joe de V wrote:I suspect that this CY140 would have cost new close to the highest priced Pavan.
If the Yari CY140 is in good overarll condition I would go for it.
They are priced closely, yes.
Thanks, Joe!

My only hesitation now is that the CY140 is in Costa Rica, and I am not sure how these new CITES regulations on Rosewood will complicate the sale.
There are never enough hours in the day to play.

Bsandesh
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by Bsandesh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Hello,

I have the same question regarding the Alvarez.I see a brand new Alvarez Yairi Cy70 in local store for about $1300.Its handmade in Japan.
I do not see much reviews for Yairi CY series online.
Not sure how it compares to Pavan TP-20 or even the Cordoba C9/C10?
Any inputs are appreciated.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Cordoba C7 Cutaway

User avatar
superheavydeathmetal
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by superheavydeathmetal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Bsandesh wrote:Hello,

I have the same question regarding the Alvarez.I see a brand new Alvarez Yairi Cy70 in local store for about $1300.Its handmade in Japan.
I do not see much reviews for Yairi CY series online.
Not sure how it compares to Pavan TP-20 or even the Cordoba C9/C10?
Any inputs are appreciated.
I can tell you that the Cordoboa C10 is a crossover/hybrid type classical guitar, whereas the Yairi and Pavan guitars are "entirely" classical.
There are never enough hours in the day to play.

Bsandesh
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by Bsandesh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 pm

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
Bsandesh wrote:Hello,

I have the same question regarding the Alvarez.I see a brand new Alvarez Yairi Cy70 in local store for about $1300.Its handmade in Japan.
I do not see much reviews for Yairi CY series online.
Not sure how it compares to Pavan TP-20 or even the Cordoba C9/C10?
Any inputs are appreciated.
I can tell you that the Cordoboa C10 is a crossover/hybrid type classical guitar, whereas the Yairi and Pavan guitars are "entirely" classical.
Correct , but Cordoba C9/C10 comes in three flavors, Classical standard,Parlor and the Crossover.
While comparing just the standard classical models not sure how Yairi hold up against the C9/C10 and Pavan Tp-20/Tp-30.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Cordoba C7 Cutaway

Sharkbait
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by Sharkbait » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 pm

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
I can tell you that the Cordoboa C10 is a crossover/hybrid type classical guitar, whereas the Yairi and Pavan guitars are "entirely" classical.
Really? I thought there are several variants of the Córdoba C10 - a normal classical, a short-scale classical (C10 Parlor, 630mm) and the crossover version (C10 Crossover). Yeah, some confusion is bound to arise!

User avatar
superheavydeathmetal
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by superheavydeathmetal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Bsandesh wrote:Correct , but Cordoba C9/C10 comes in three flavors, Classical standard,Parlor and the Crossover.
While comparing just the standard classical models not sure how Yairi hold up against the C9/C10 and Pavan Tp-20/Tp-30.
OH! Awesome! That gives me another option! Thanks for the information!

I am getting anxious to play, so I would have grabbed the Alvarez Yairi CY140 already if it weren't' in Costa Rica. It's less expensive than the others, and I hear it is just as good. I just don't know what to make of all the new CITES regulations.
Last edited by superheavydeathmetal on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are never enough hours in the day to play.

Bsandesh
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by Bsandesh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:24 pm

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
Bsandesh wrote:Correct , but Cordoba C9/C10 comes in three flavors, Classical standard,Parlor and the Crossover.
While comparing just the standard classical models not sure how Yairi hold up against the C9/C10 and Pavan Tp-20/Tp-30.
OH! Awesome! That gives me another option! Thanks for the information!

I would have grabbed the Alvarez Yairi CY140 already if it weren't' in Costa Rica. It's less expensive than the others, and I hear it is just as good. I just don't know what to make of all the new CITES regulations.
Ok, Looks like CY140 is not listed in Alvarez product line up anymore.May be CY140 its a vintage model.All they offer now are the CY70/75.They also have it in masterwork series CYM I think which is about $2000.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Cordoba C7 Cutaway

Sharkbait
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by Sharkbait » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:29 am

If the CY140 has Braz rosewood (even if laminate) as you mentioned, CITES will be a pain. Brazilian rosewood is CITES Appendix I and both your seller and you must apply for CITES permits (that's assuming your seller is able to prove the wood is pre-1972, I think) to transport it from Costa Rxica to the US.

Suggest you forget about it - too much hassle, when you're not even getting a solid BRW guitar!

Bsandesh
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by Bsandesh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Yesterday I found a brand new Yairi CY70 from one of the local store.I played it for a while, immediately loved it and purchased it.I paid about $1200 out the door.
Its a gorgeous looking guitar as well.I will return the C9 today because its less than 10 days old.
C9 is still good guitar for $850 range, but I liked the sound and look of the yairi and this is something that I would want to keep it for years. If I didn't find this yairi may be I would have kept the C9.
Also, I am having trouble finding what year the yairi was manufactured.All I have is the serial number 71970.Does not have the any other numbers any where on the guitar .I emailed Alvarez, lets see if they respond.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Cordoba C7 Cutaway

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], keithwwk and 14 guests